C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 rear end rebuild complete and a thank you!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 06:06 PM
fathernson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 rear end rebuild complete and a thank you!

first i want to thank all of you who helped my son and me with advice on rebuilding the rear of his 1980. I am happy to report she is back on the road! Here is what we did: after placing the rear on stands we
Removed everything from the tranny back: exhaust,drive shaft differential and side shafts brakes rotors and brake lines trailing arms shocks everything. We then sanded repaired a crack in the glass and prepped and painted or undricoated as much as the underside as we could reach from the front of the floor pans back. I had the axels blasted and acid dipped and repainted. I had the spring bracket and strut rod bracket powdercoated red. Sent the trailing arms out for rebuild. We cleaned and painted the calipers and installed new stainless brake lines. We replaced center pin and both side yokes and all three seals in differerential and painted the housing chevy orange. Installed all new u joints and new straps. new shocks new spring new strut rods and shock mounts and new rotors and a new dual exhaust! We couldnt have done it without this site. Thanks
Mike n chris. Aka fathernson

Last edited by fathernson; 08-25-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:14 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Looks great. Nice job.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:51 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Looks great. Nice job.

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 rear end rebuild complete and a thank you!

Quick Reply: 1980 rear end rebuild complete and a thank you!