C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

74 gauge issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 09:41 AM
mfgaffney
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 74 gauge issues

I popped a fuse on my dual SPAL fan unit. Temp went up over 210, but did not boil. limped home, I was only a mile or two and traced issue to find the blown fuse on fans. replaced few and restarted car, Temp gauge did not work. Started to trace what the issue was with gauge, and eventually decided to pull dash cluster. Bought and installed new temp, fuel, and oil press gauges restart car, and now no reading on Temp, neg oil press showing and no movement on fuel gauge. Anyone hazard a guess on whether I have one, or multiple issues. Would a badd/no ground cause some/all of this? ammeter and clock work.. Thanks for listening! Mike
Old 09-18-2015, 09:54 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mfgaffney
I popped a fuse on my dual SPAL fan unit. Temp went up over 210, but did not boil. limped home, I was only a mile or two and traced issue to find the blown fuse on fans. replaced few and restarted car, Temp gauge did not work. Started to trace what the issue was with gauge, and eventually decided to pull dash cluster. Bought and installed new temp, fuel, and oil press gauges restart car, and now no reading on Temp, neg oil press showing and no movement on fuel gauge. Anyone hazard a guess on whether I have one, or multiple issues. Would a badd/no ground cause some/all of this? ammeter and clock work.. Thanks for listening! Mike

When you replaced the blown fuse for your fans you may have accidentally pulled the wire off your temperature sender if the fuse is anywhere close to the sender. I would check that before doing anything else.
The following users liked this post:
mfgaffney (09-19-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 10:14 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

First check the GAUGES fuse.

Since none of the gauges work you may have lost the ground.
The ground wire for all the gauges connects to a black wire on the center of the temp gauge.

The other end of that black wire connects to the 'A' pillar just above the bottom of the dash.
Listed as 'HARN GD' in this diagram.

Last edited by Peterbuilt; 09-18-2015 at 10:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mfgaffney (09-19-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To 74 gauge issues

Quick Reply: 74 gauge issues