C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Hardtop Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 06:34 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Default 69 Hardtop Removal

So I just picked up a 69 vert with hard and soft tops. When I first saw the car it was topless but at my request the seller installed the hardtop for me to drive home.

The car needs some tlc for sure, and while not a master mechanic my wrenching capabilities are above the average Joe. So with hat in hand, I ask HOW DO YOU GET THE DARN HARDTOP OFF!!!

I threw the 2 latches on sides, and the one over the windshield. The bolts behind the seats are removed. And when we go to pull up on the top the back pin comes out of the body on the passenger side.....but the driver side is stuck in place. It moves up and out ever so slightly but will not come all the way out. I pulled pretty darn hard on it, without putting all my might (afraid to crack the rear cover.)

Is it possible the pin is stuck or are they usually fastened from underneath? I can't see anything under there with the soft top blocking the view.

I feel like a dummy asking, especially since this is a baby step in the process going forward but I want to see if I'm missing something.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:54 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Undo the latches at the headliner then remove the 2 nuts holding it onto the deck. The nuts are located at the corners by the door and are a pain the *** to remove. I've head of some people releasing the latches then pulling the release lever and lifting the hardtop/deck lid in one piece to access the nuts.

Nuts #4 view 'A'

Old 09-29-2015, 11:02 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Jason, does your Hardtop have Pins in it...
Picture courtesy of Paragon Corvette Reproductions

or does it have studs?
Picture courtesy of Paragon Corvette Reproductions

It should have the studs, but a lot of times folks will use the Pins in the hardtop (same ones used in the convertible top) instead of the studs. Because the pins have the sharp edge on them, sometimes the latch will release the pin (pop up about an inch), and then the pin will hang up on the edge of the rear deck bezel. You may have to move the top around a bit to get the pin into the center of the hole in the bezel to be able to lift it out.

If you have the studs, it must be hanging up on something else.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 09-29-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:03 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,156 Likes on 2,728 Posts

I added some info to the illustration that Jim2527 posted.........

Last edited by doorgunner; 09-30-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:50 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Have you loosened the side bolts?

They go through here and are hidden by part of the liner.

Last edited by Paul L; 09-30-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:54 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Did you get an owner's manual with your 69?
Old 09-30-2015, 11:07 AM
Billem
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Assuming (hate that word) you have pins and not studs, you might try resetting the windshield latches and also the deck pins. Then pull the deck pin release handle (not the deck release handle) first. This may put upward pressure on the pins to pop them loose. Have a wonderful week, Bill.

Edit: this usually works for the soft top.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:59 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2527
Undo the latches at the headliner then remove the 2 nuts holding it onto the deck. The nuts are located at the corners by the door and are a pain the *** to remove. I've head of some people releasing the latches then pulling the release lever and lifting the hardtop/deck lid in one piece to access the nuts.
Yep, that's how I've been doing it for 40 years. I unlatch the front latches, release the rear deck, lift up enough to remove the corner nuts and center nut(if you have one), then lower it back down and lock the deck. Then remove the 2 side bolts and remove the hardtop.

I'm currently at the Moon Palace in Cancun.....heading out to the pool for a cold beer!
Old 09-30-2015, 09:18 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the suggestions....learned a few things and finally got the top off. The top has the pins, not studs. I was pulling the wrong latch under the decklid so instead of releasing the pins it released the decklid. A struggle at first but then remembered to push the whole assembly up and look underneath the attachment points and saw they were pins and how the release.

One of the connecting rods from the handle to the pin release wasn't tight so it wouldn't let go. Hence the stuck top.

But with a little fix and help from the 11 year old twins....it came right off.

And I was pleasantly surprised to find the soft top in great shape and no new areas of (rust) concern.

Thanks all! I like the C3 forum! Very supportive.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:24 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Get notified of new replies

To 69 Hardtop Removal

Quick Reply: 69 Hardtop Removal