C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

control arm bushing installation??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 08:42 AM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default control arm bushing installation??

I am ready to install the bushings in my control arms on my 77. I bought Energy Suspension poly bushings. They are the ones that come with the sleeves. Should I bring it to a shop or should I try installing them myself using a large socket.

Last edited by jgcable; 10-01-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:14 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

What does Energy Suspension recommend?
Old 10-01-2015, 09:22 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

If you have a press you can do it yourself. If you do not I would bring them somewhere. Biggest issue is to make sure and support the control arms so they do not bend.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:23 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I did poly control arm bushings from energy suspensions when I did my control arm and did the first arm removal myself but had trouble installing the new poly bushing so I took that arm to a machine shop for the install...I think that they charged my $25 for the install. I had the second arm done completely by the machine shop for about $35...well worth the money and the lack of aggrevation. Just my personal experience!
Old 10-01-2015, 11:17 AM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea you can use a press but why not have some fun while you are learning new curse words?

Old 10-01-2015, 11:37 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by jnealg
Yea you can use a press but why not have some fun while you are learning new curse words?

Too funny..that is how I removed the control arm bushings from the first control arm. I hope that is not a propane tank at the bottom right in your picture LOL
Old 10-01-2015, 12:10 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

no propane. thats the oxy torch setup he was using to burn the rubber out. it was further than it looks in the pic and we had a collection of extinguishers around. He was just in a mood that day.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:20 PM
jgcable
Racer

Believe me... there was plenty of cursing removing the original bushings. It took me hours. I started with a torch, graduated to an air chisel and an electric drill. My control arms are all cleaned up and ready for paint this weekend. After that.. I am going to install the bushings and pivot rods and the new ball joints. I watched several videos of guys just pounding them in with a small sledge hammer and a large socket. I happen to already have both. The videos make it look simple. I could also take them to the local machine shop and have them pressed in. I just want to do the right thing, do it once and do it right.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:06 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Save yourself a lot of aggravation and let a shop do it.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
Save yourself a lot of aggravation and let a shop do it.
100%....BUT...just because you take them to a shop.....THE SHOP you choose better have the VERY USEFUL spacers that are made so when they go and press in the LOWER A-arm bushings...the A-arm does not collapse. The lower A-arm is the worst....the upper is not so bad. BUT...getting the bushing to index correctly in BOTH holes in the lower a-arm is a BEOTCH!!!!!.....and if they get off kilter a little bit...it will (or can) ruin the control arm, I have done more of these than I can count....and even though I have done countless control arms....getting the bushings out is a snap....but getting those blasted lower bushings in correctly is as I wrote....or can be....a BEOTCH!!!

The lower A-arm takes three spacers to keep it from collapsing. I have also made one for the upper A-arms also.

YES..I know that these bushing can go in with other methods...because along time ago...I could service the lower A-arm bushing while the A-arm was still in the car.....but I no longer do it that way.

DUB
Old 10-01-2015, 07:58 PM
twinpack
Drifting

Received 349 Likes on 155 Posts

I used the socket method. With a bit of lube on the outside of the bushing, it worked like a charm. No issues. Most of the fun is figuring things out, doing research and succeeding in the repair and reconstruction of these cars. Just my opinion.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by twinpack
Most of the fun is figuring things out, doing research and succeeding in the repair and reconstruction of these cars. Just my opinion.
100%

DUB
Old 10-02-2015, 06:32 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jnealg

I had to laugh when I saw the pic. I was out on my front lawn with a tank of MAPP gas burning the damn things out. My neighbors probably thought I was nutz.

I'd let a shop press in the new ones. At least that is what I'll do if I ever have to put new ones in again.

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2015, 08:13 AM
jgcable
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
100%....BUT...just because you take them to a shop.....THE SHOP you choose better have the VERY USEFUL spacers that are made so when they go and press in the LOWER A-arm bushings...the A-arm does not collapse. The lower A-arm is the worst....the upper is not so bad. BUT...getting the bushing to index correctly in BOTH holes in the lower a-arm is a BEOTCH!!!!!.....and if they get off kilter a little bit...it will (or can) ruin the control arm, I have done more of these than I can count....and even though I have done countless control arms....getting the bushings out is a snap....but getting those blasted lower bushings in correctly is as I wrote....or can be....a BEOTCH!!!

The lower A-arm takes three spacers to keep it from collapsing. I have also made one for the upper A-arms also.

YES..I know that these bushing can go in with other methods...because along time ago...I could service the lower A-arm bushing while the A-arm was still in the car.....but I no longer do it that way.

DUB

I called a few local machine shops and I don't feel confident that they will be able to install the bushings without collapsing or bending my control arms. Its as if they have never done work like this before. Most of the machine shops in my area are either booked up for months or they only do engine work. I watched the video on Youtube of the guy installing the bushings using the large socked and sledge hammer method and it looks crazy easy. Have you ever used this method? I don't have a 12 ton press and I don't want to buy one and all the spacers required.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:38 AM
jgcable
Racer

I called a few more machine shops. I have no confidence in leaving them with a machine shop. I am going to use the 1-1/4" socket and sledge method to install. The Youtube video makes perfect sense and looks super easy. I will post back when they are done.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:46 AM
kjr6306
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The last set I put on I used a ball joint remover/installer kit that I borrowed from Autozone for free. Worked well for pressing the bushings back in with out having to use the BFH.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:50 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

The kit my local AZ loans would be useless for Control Arms must loan a different one

Get notified of new replies

To control arm bushing installation??

Old 10-30-2015, 07:46 AM
jgcable
Racer

Since I am installing the Energy Suspension poly bushings I bought the entire kit. This includes the split sleeve that goes around the pivot rod, the housing and the bushing. The instructions don't explain this but... do I install the split sleeve on the pivot arms first or do I assemble the complete bushings and then install them.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:11 AM
jgcable
Racer

I tried to install them using the large socket and the large hammer method. No way.... no how!! I can't even get them started. It would be different if they slipped in a little but they don't. Every wack of the hammer just caused them to pop off. I don't want to damage my control arms so I guess I am back to looking for a machine shop.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:05 AM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

I know they are already removed but I thought I'd share what I saw on FB not long ago. I've seen here and a lot of other places where people burn them out like the earlier pic.

Also they make a installation lube I read about here awhile back. http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...shing-lube.asp

Last edited by BOOT77; 11-02-2015 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: control arm bushing installation??