C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance PCV Valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 11:36 PM
1974CorvetteJimCr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Performance PCV Valve

I was having some minor, but irritating oil leaks. With the performance engine in my 1974 Corvette, having a camshaft with .500" lift and 270/270 duration, RHS Performance aluminum heads (model number: 12052), 2.02"/1.6" diameter stainless steel valves; is far from a stock engine. I figured the crank case was not being under enough vacuum, and worse possible pressurizing.

I did a search for a "performance PCV valve", and found this company M/E Wagner Performance. They make a Dual Flow Adjustable PCV Valve. It is manufactured in Northeast Pennsylvania.

The engineering and manufacturing that makes this PCV Valve is of the highest quality! It is very easy to setup for one's engine.

It has alleviated the minor leaks and without a doubt the crankcase is ALWAYS under vacuum!

Checkout the photos of it installed on my Vette's engine, not only does it works great it looks very cool too!!!

You only buy it once. It is fully serviceable and adjustable.

Price: $129.00

Here is the link to M/E Wagner Performance's web site

http://mewagner.com/

Video on how to setup the PCV Valve

Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
BrianCunningham (06-04-2018)
Old 11-06-2015, 11:57 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Only $130 plus shipping for a PCV valve? You are one lucky guy.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:43 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

I doubt your under constant vacuum , Although I do agree that most crank cases are NOT properly evacuated and do cause oil seepage and robb horsepower.

I also think blow by at power is going to overwhelm that system. Usually an efficient system uses one of to things,

A dedicated vac pump ( I run one and it is a daily driver )

An exhaust evac system which at full throttle would be way more effective then what you have.

In my experience daily driving almost never causes oil push , it is high load high rpm that causes it .

Anyway just my 2 cents let us all know how it works ..
The following 2 users liked this post by diehrd:
1974CorvetteJimCr (11-07-2015), BrianCunningham (06-04-2018)
Old 11-07-2015, 10:58 AM
1974CorvetteJimCr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by diehrd
I doubt your under constant vacuum , Although I do agree that most crank cases are NOT properly evacuated and do cause oil seepage and robb horsepower.

I also think blow by at power is going to overwhelm that system. Usually an efficient system uses one of to things,

An exhaust evac system which at full throttle would be way more effective then what you have.

In my experience daily driving almost never causes oil push , it is high load high rpm that causes it .

Thanks diehrd for your constructive response. Your observations are well thought out. When you have some time take a look at their website, they have very good information there. I think you'll find it informative.

I will let you know how it works out. Doing a drive tomorrow (Sunday 11/8/15) for "Toys for Tots".
Old 11-07-2015, 12:06 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

1974CorvetteJimCr (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 12:20 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
Only $130 plus shipping for a PCV valve? You are one lucky guy.
Bet you think all pcv valves are the same
Old 11-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Looks interesting, I don't see any info as to what the ***** are made of. Std steel ***** would quickly rust from any acidic combustion blow by gas. The ball seat looks like it is a sintered metal - bronze? So that part would be okay.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:15 PM
1974CorvetteJimCr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
Looks interesting, I don't see any info as to what the ***** are made of. Std steel ***** would quickly rust from any acidic combustion blow by gas. The ball seat looks like it is a sintered metal - bronze? So that part would be okay.
I believe the ***** are stainless steel. Call them direct. Gene usually answer the phone. It is a father son company.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1974CorvetteJimCr:
BrianCunningham (06-04-2018), DUB (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 04:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You gotta LOVE when someone corrects a problem with apart that not only works ..but looks very respectable.

A small price to pay for being able to MAKE SURE that the crankcase pressure is under vacuum. I am loosing more faith every day on parts that come in on the slow boat....which is seems ...most aprts toadya re rarely made in the U.S.A.

DUB
1974CorvetteJimCr (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 05:36 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

I agree completely.. At WOT there is no vacuum to evacuate the crankcase, regardless how much you paid for a PCV... I use the Exhaust Evac system on my Stroker ...
Old 11-07-2015, 05:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
I agree completely.. At WOT there is no vacuum to evacuate the crankcase, regardless how much you paid for a PCV... I use the Exhaust Evac system on my Stroker ...
VERY GOOD point.....BUT...if a car is not being driven with the pedal to the floor...then this point is mute. And if a street car is being driven wit a lot of SPIRIT...then when the throttle returns back...this system would do its job. Because I do not know too many people, who drive street cars for extended periods of time with the throttle full open for long. Especially in Corvettes where they spent a lot of money getting it super nice.

Each design is valid and can meet requirements for the person driving the car and knowing what the car is being mainly used for.

And...regarding exhaust emissions...If the car is a driven street car driven respectably....I honestly would not want crankcase gases to be sucked right out the exhaust myself. Regardless if the car has to be inspected/tested in a specific State. And I am aware that these gases are from the combustion process....but there is still something there that causes me some concern.

DUB
Old 11-07-2015, 06:40 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Originally Posted by DUB
VERY GOOD point.....BUT...if a car is not being driven with the pedal to the floor...then this point is mute. And if a street car is being driven wit a lot of SPIRIT...then when the throttle returns back...this system would do its job. Because I do not know too many people, who drive street cars for extended periods of time with the throttle full open for long. Especially in Corvettes where they spent a lot of money getting it super nice.

Each design is valid and can meet requirements for the person driving the car and knowing what the car is being mainly used for.

And...regarding exhaust emissions...If the car is a driven street car driven respectably....I honestly would not want crankcase gases to be sucked right out the exhaust myself. Regardless if the car has to be inspected/tested in a specific State. And I am aware that these gases are from the combustion process....but there is still something there that causes me some concern.

DUB
I agree , street cars are not driven full power all the time.. But theres not much pressure in the crankcase at idle either .. Every driver has to use whats best for his application..one size does not fit all. with my big Roller cam, , since I only have about 4-5 inches of vacuum at idle, a PCV is near useless . An Exhaust evac system increases pull as rpm increases , the most effective way in my case.

Last edited by fishslayer143; 11-07-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:25 PM
claysmoker
Race Director

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11-'12-'13-'14

I like gadgets so I bought one a couple of years ago. It works as designed on the current 406 and I'm very happy with it.

The following 2 users liked this post by claysmoker:
1974CorvetteJimCr (11-07-2015), havesometo (11-07-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 03:11 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Tell me more about the exhaust evacuation system.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:19 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DUB

DUB
But the topic is about oil pushing past gaskets as a result of blow by and on most street driving it is not an issue but when you do drive hard it can and usually does become an issue.

My New ZZ4 would push it out around grommets and when i pulled it out to put in my 427 sbc i found the block coated in a light dirty film of oil ..

I opted to go the vacuum pump way , this pcv valve may be ok for moderate to stock motors.

For exhaust kits here is one
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...oductId=924093

Last edited by diehrd; 11-08-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
I agree , street cars are not driven full power all the time.. But theres not much pressure in the crankcase at idle either .. Every driver has to use whats best for his application..one size does not fit all. with my big Roller cam, , since I only have about 4-5 inches of vacuum at idle, a PCV is near useless . An Exhaust evac system increases pull as rpm increases , the most effective way in my case.
I 1000% AGREE with you. Both design are valid depending on the circumstances.

But the topic is about oil pushing past gaskets as a result of blow by and on most street driving it is not an issue but when you do drive hard it can and usually does become an issue.

My New ZZ4 would push it out around grommets and when i pulled it out to put in my 427 sbc i found the block coated in a light dirty film of oil ..

I opted to go the vacuum pump way , this pcv valve may be ok for moderate to stock motors.
I understand what this thread is 'talking' about pushing oil out of the crankcase via gaskets...or not being under a constant vacuum.. But I have had my fair share of Corvette owners bring their street driven cars in for tune-ups and repairs and even at an idle....when the PCV and fresh air breather tube are removed...the engine is blowing blue smoke rings out of these holes in the valve covers. AND when I connect the stock looking PCV back in the valve cover....the other side of the engine is STILL blowing blue smoke rings. So it depends on the condition of the engine and basically what it needs so the correct ventilation design is implemented.

QUESTION: Has this vacuum pump method given you any problems in regards to the pump running too long and failing?? Due to not knowing how you installed it and have it being switched on and off...I am just curious. I am assuming it is an electric vacuum pump.

Originally Posted by jnb5101
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...0evac%20system

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 11-08-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:56 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Originally Posted by jnb5101
Sure.. It is not for stock or mild builds , and especially not for anything with restrictive mufflers .. But my car has neither.. They are readily available from all the usual vendors..probably Not Emission test legal.. I ve found by placing the angle tubes just behind the Header collectors rather than on the collector itself, where you have higher exhaust velocity creating better pull, I can get as much as 10-12 in hg under full power .. My engine spins 7000 rpm regularly, I have never had a oil leak.

Get notified of new replies

To Performance PCV Valve

Old 11-08-2015, 06:07 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Hi DUB . It is an aerospace component belt driven pump, It uses carbon fibre blades and I expect every year to flip blades and every second year replace them. .You may know already but these also bump HP because the pistons never pushing against gasses in the crank case..

You can see it in this picture
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2015, 06:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Hi DUB . It is an aerospace component belt driven pump, It uses carbon fibre blades and I expect every year to flip blades and every second year replace them. .You may know already but these also bump HP because the pistons never pushing against gasses in the crank case..

I SEE.

WELL.....it is CLEARLY understood WHY you went this method. VERY, VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!! That is what I call..."Taking it to the NEXT LEVEL"...for sure. If I saw you engine at a show...IT would SURELY catch my eye and draw me into it.

DUB
Old 11-08-2015, 06:36 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

VERY NICE!
diehrd (11-08-2015)

Quick Reply: Performance PCV Valve