C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Birdcage Preservation

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 08:07 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Birdcage Preservation

I've been reading about rusted birdcages here and elsewhere, and it's pretty scary stuff. Some of the photos are awful - paper thin frames that are flaking off rust, holes everywhere, not even remotely safe for a vehicle on the street. I wasn't aware of this issue until a few days ago, and it now seems I need to inspect my '82 before going ahead with some of the more expensive upgrades I had planned. The car obviously isn't as old as some, but it's older than any of my other Vettes at the time I owned them, and I have no history on it whatsoever.

All the threads I've read on this subject revolve around repair or replacement of the cage. None that I've found talk about things an owner can do to help preserve the existing cage, whatever its condition might be. I realize keeping your Vette in the garage and only bringing it out on sunny days is one approach, but that's not practical for everyone. For those of us that drive our cars frequently and can't worry too much about getting caught in a rainstorm, I'm hoping some of the more experienced owners here might have some input on this.

As I see it, there are two fundamental aspects to birdcage preservation. The first is to do everything possible to prevent water from entering. With that in mind, which specific parts would be involved if an owner wanted to renew this area of the car from time to time? I'm thinking about seals and such, maybe T-top weatherstripping and windshield molding. Personally, I wouldn't mind having the windshield pulled and reinstalled with new molding every 10 years if that's what's required to prevent leaks and rust. What about the rear glass (standard version, not CE) and door weatherstripping? Would that also be required to protect the cage? Anything else?

Second, assuming the birdcage is already rusty but not structurally compromised, what can be done to slow or stop the rust from spreading further? Will a rust converter work for this, and what would be the best way to apply it (short of stripping everything off the cage)? Could the converter maybe be atomized, say with a paint sprayer, and directed through a short tube into the interior of the cage? I'm thinking about a fine mist that would travel at least partway through the cage and settle on internal surfaces. If someone wanted to try this, where are the most easily accessible openings into the cage? Also, if rust converter were poured in at the top of the cage, would it find its way down to the bottom in the rocker areas?

I'm still trying to get over the fact that birdcage rust is so crippling for these cars, and I sure wish I'd known about it before I bought mine. I always thought the 'glass body made Vettes relatively immune to the ills of quarter panel and windshield rust that plague lesser cars like Novas and Mustangs. Now I realize these cars can be much worse. The rust is hidden underneath fiberglass that has to be stripped away to effect replacement, and this is obviously much more costly than welding in new panels on metal body vehicles. It's also much more difficult to assess the true condition of a used vehicle.

If anyone has any experience with methods for mitigating this issue, I'd sure like to hear about them.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:03 PM
69schemers
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also curios about this. I just replaced my header and "A" pillars. Now it is time to seal it all back up. When I took mine apart it looked like the valley under the header was filled with plumbers putty. Is that correct?
I have a 69 convertible.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:32 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 69schemers
I am also curios about this. I just replaced my header and "A" pillars. Now it is time to seal it all back up. When I took mine apart it looked like the valley under the header was filled with plumbers putty. Is that correct?
I have a 69 convertible.
i found putty like substance on my 82 when i did my A pillar weather strip

don't aim the water there when washing and forget about the rain

Last edited by slickfx3; 12-15-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:17 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Applying putty incorrectly can make things worse. At one time someone did that on my car and that prevented some of the rain from exiting the windshield frame in the upper driver's side corner. Now I am having to replace the corner piece as it rusted a lot, but mine isn't near as bad as some of the stuff I have seen here.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:32 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Compared to some of the Mustangs, Camaros and Chevelles I've worked on they can have rust everywhere. It can be covered up pretty well too until it's media blasted.

If the car has been in TX most of the time and protected from the elements it should be in good shape. You can pull the kick panels and inspect there and also remove the windshield molding.

Here is my kick panel removed. Factory primer still looks good.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:42 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Yes, those mounts look really good. I would still want to add some sort of protection, just to slow the inevitable.

Doesn't anyone know the specific items up top that should be renewed periodically in order to stop water getting into the birdcage? I assume it starts with the T-top weatherstripping, but what else is needed?

Love this Photobucket ad:

Old 12-17-2015, 05:46 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Awhile back someone posted pics of a bird cage dipped in zinc.

Found the pic...

Last edited by jim2527; 12-17-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:15 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by 454Luvr
I've been reading about rusted birdcages here and elsewhere, and it's pretty scary stuff. Some of the photos are awful - paper thin frames that are flaking off rust, holes everywhere, not even remotely safe for a vehicle on the street. I wasn't aware of this issue until a few days ago, and it now seems I need to inspect my '82 before going ahead with some of the more expensive upgrades I had planned. The car obviously isn't as old as some, but it's older than any of my other Vettes at the time I owned them, and I have no history on it whatsoever.

All the threads I've read on this subject revolve around repair or replacement of the cage. None that I've found talk about things an owner can do to help preserve the existing cage, whatever its condition might be. I realize keeping your Vette in the garage and only bringing it out on sunny days is one approach, but that's not practical for everyone. For those of us that drive our cars frequently and can't worry too much about getting caught in a rainstorm, I'm hoping some of the more experienced owners here might have some input on this.

As I see it, there are two fundamental aspects to birdcage preservation. The first is to do everything possible to prevent water from entering. With that in mind, which specific parts would be involved if an owner wanted to renew this area of the car from time to time? I'm thinking about seals and such, maybe T-top weatherstripping and windshield molding. Personally, I wouldn't mind having the windshield pulled and reinstalled with new molding every 10 years if that's what's required to prevent leaks and rust. What about the rear glass (standard version, not CE) and door weatherstripping? Would that also be required to protect the cage? Anything else?

Second, assuming the birdcage is already rusty but not structurally compromised, what can be done to slow or stop the rust from spreading further? Will a rust converter work for this, and what would be the best way to apply it (short of stripping everything off the cage)? Could the converter maybe be atomized, say with a paint sprayer, and directed through a short tube into the interior of the cage? I'm thinking about a fine mist that would travel at least partway through the cage and settle on internal surfaces. If someone wanted to try this, where are the most easily accessible openings into the cage? Also, if rust converter were poured in at the top of the cage, would it find its way down to the bottom in the rocker areas?

I'm still trying to get over the fact that birdcage rust is so crippling for these cars, and I sure wish I'd known about it before I bought mine. I always thought the 'glass body made Vettes relatively immune to the ills of quarter panel and windshield rust that plague lesser cars like Novas and Mustangs. Now I realize these cars can be much worse. The rust is hidden underneath fiberglass that has to be stripped away to effect replacement, and this is obviously much more costly than welding in new panels on metal body vehicles. It's also much more difficult to assess the true condition of a used vehicle.

If anyone has any experience with methods for mitigating this issue, I'd sure like to hear about them.
Well the bird cage is something that can really bring out your Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and render your C3 to lifetime project that never leaves the garage.
Ya know the bird cage itself is more of body structural support than any kinda occupant protection. U want real protection install a roll cage. And a roll cage will greatly strengthen any its attached to.
If u just want to stop the corrosion u need to scrape, pick and vac up the big stuff then apply a rust locker/converter like u can buy at the hardware store. I really like POR15 for a protective coating that's as tough as the steel itself. Only u can decide what needs to be sealed or drained.
I guess what I'm saying is don't think u need to do a frame off unless u really want to. Clean, coat, install a cage to keep it roadable if u want. Don't let OCD take away your fun. Hey its just a Chevy.
The following users liked this post:
ZAKsPop (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 12:42 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Ignorance is bliss! If you see rust flakes on the carpeting as some here had commented on then start to worry.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Alex66
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ddawson
Compared to some of the Mustangs, Camaros and Chevelles I've worked on they can have rust everywhere. It can be covered up pretty well too until it's media blasted.

If the car has been in TX most of the time and protected from the elements it should be in good shape. You can pull the kick panels and inspect there and also remove the windshield molding.

Here is my kick panel removed. Factory primer still looks good.
Thats how mine looked, I still had everything flooded with "Mike Sanders" Grease... It is a mess to work with because the Grease/Wax mixture has to be hot and liquid when handeled (so it has to be heated up) and the applied with a pressure nozzle... In my opinion one of the best things arround. It never dries out and keeps moving in every crack there is. Especially when the Car is out in the Summer. Best for Hollow Frames etc. Not sure if this product is popular in the US, but in Europe it is one of the top products used to finish off and protect Oldtimer Restoration...

Last edited by Alex66; 12-20-2015 at 01:31 PM.
ElmrPhD (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 09:22 AM
ElmrPhD
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just got my first ('69 coupe) Vette and mine also looks like that.
Obviously, I want to keep it from getting worse.
Would it be a good idea to first apply some Liquid Wrench type stuff, break the bolts loose and THEN cover it all in anti-rust preservative? (I happen to have Waxoyl on hand.)
Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-27-2022, 11:49 AM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Fluid Film.....it's a good rust preventative.
ElmrPhD (09-27-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 12:47 PM
Bluesting70
Drifting

Received 952 Likes on 468 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by mickey5
Ignorance is bliss! If you see rust flakes on the carpeting as some here had commented on then start to worry.
exactly what I was thinking. I don’t want to look closely (ignorance is bliss) but have no reason to suspect anything either.
ElmrPhD (09-28-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 08:50 PM
BDoc
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with POR15 during my frame-off
ElmrPhD (09-28-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 02:50 AM
ElmrPhD
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BDoc
I went with POR15 during my frame-off
That's cool. POR15 is certainly great stuff, and I've used it many times. But I'm just wondering if it won't hamper future (body off?) restoration work by being so damn strong when trying to remove those big bolts. Similarly, I'm wondering if it would be prudent to PB-Blast/Liquid-Wrench those big bolts BEFORE preserving that kick-panel area with POR15, Fluid-Film, Waxoyl or whatever.
Any thoughts?
Old 09-28-2022, 06:31 AM
BDoc
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't POR15 the threads. I just coated those in some grease. This was all done fully disassembled. I'm really not all that worried about bolts rusting because, now that "I" own the car, I know it's going to be kept dry 99.99% of the time, and those can always be changed. The POR15 was really about putting some kind of surface coating on there after the rust removal. Good luck.
ElmrPhD (09-28-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 10:17 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Pulling the windshield may not be a bad idea. Treating with ospho won't hurt.
And never ever under any circumstances leave your hatches off or top down in the rain. If water gets on the dashboard it will find it's way everywhere . A couple screw ups is all it takes.

Get notified of new replies

To Birdcage Preservation

Quick Reply: Birdcage Preservation