C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Struts - Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 10:36 PM
johnb74
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Replacing Struts - Any tips?

Replacing struts since bushings are gone. Appears straight forward per the service manual. But as we all have found out, the manuals are sometimes over-simplified and do not factor in frozen bolts, etc. Any tips and am I going to have a problem with the shock mount connection. I already sprayed all bolts with Gunk penetrating oil. I also have one bent strut, which I do no know whether it was done for alignment or was hit ? I plan to mark the cam bolt to avoid having to have camber re-set at shop. Any tips appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:26 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Replacing Struts - Any tips? (johnb74)

be careful when you remove the shocks. They actually limit the downwards travel of the t arm. You also might want to get new lower shock mounts or the proper tool to remove them. They are splined and take a real hard set in the yoke, if you wind up beating on them they will probably get trashed. I put adjustable struts on mine, seems like adjustment is a lot easier. The position on your cam bolt probably won't mean much with the new struts due to wear on your existing bushings and possible slight differences in tolerances of the struts. When you are all finished, get the car on a level surface and adjust the struts with a 24" spirit level. the tops of the tires should tip inwards almost 1/2 of a bubble. I know this is not the professional way, but should get it close enough. :cheers:
Old 08-29-2002, 02:23 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Replacing Struts - Any tips? (Big Fish)

As Big Fish said, get the appropriate tool to remove the shock mounts, or get new mounts. Those may be a BEAR to remove. In my case I had to swing at it real hard with a 5 pound hammer, almost knocking the car off the jackstands.

After everything was done, I just used a level to put the wheels perpendicular to the ground. That was close enough.

-Pedro
Old 08-29-2002, 03:33 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Replacing Struts - Any tips? (Pedro'74)

ookeeeyy... here's another look at it since I just removed mine. Get the upper strut attachment off...swing it down to give yourself some space. Take a torch and heat both sides the spindle carrier holding the lower shock mount....don't heat the later. Then, with the crown bolt on the stud (u want it flush with the bolt), Use a heavy hammer to tap on it. It should come right off. Laws of physics my frind. :p:

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Struts - Any tips?

Quick Reply: Replacing Struts - Any tips?