C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weatherstrip Adhesive

Old 01-02-2016, 05:09 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Weatherstrip Adhesive

3M black adhesive seems to be the "go to" for weatherstrip. However, there are several different types. Here's what I found so far:

8008 Black Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive: A strong, flexible, rubbery adhesive that can withstand vibration and extreme temperature variations. It can be used to bond automotive weatherstripping and is a great adhesive for holding paper, cork, or rubber gaskets in place during installation. (5 oz.)

8011 Weatherstrip Adhesive black: A black, fast-drying adhesive used for bonding and sealing automotive weatherstripping. Designed to affix EPDM rubber. Remains flexible and waterproof. (5 oz.)

3602 Black super Weatherstrip Adhesive: 3M(TM) Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive bonds gaskets and weather stripping to metal surfaces. Withstands vibration and temperature changes. Resists oils, fuels, detergents and grease. Strong, and flexible bond. (1 oz.)

8581 Super Weatherstrip Adhesive black: 3M™ Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive 08581 is a strong, flexible, rubbery adhesive that can withstand vibration and extreme temperature variations. It can be used to bond weatherstripping to car doors, trunks, T-tops, and sun roofs. It is an excellent adhesive for holding paper, cork, or rubber gaskets in place during installation. It provides the strength and rapid setting needed to hold weatherstripping, vinyl headliners, and side panels in place.
  • High strength holds weatherstrip tightly to substrate
  • One adhesive can bond a wide variety of materials
  • Easy to brush and spread
  • Resists oil, grease, and solvents
(2 oz.)

Are these all interchangeable, the same formula marketed differently, or is there one in particular that's best around doors and tops in our cars?

Also, is there a generic solvent or other brand that's roughly equivalent to the 3M adhesive remover 8984? Home Depot and Lowes sell acetone, MEK, Goof-Off, Klean-Strip, etc.

Last edited by 454Luvr; 01-02-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:23 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I use the 3M-8008 black cement most of the time and use gasoline soaked rag to remove it. For super fast adhesion stick the parts together then pull them apart then stick them together again. Do that several times and the air in between the stick 'em together and pull 'em apart cycles really dries it fast.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:15 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Contact cement (I use DAP brand) goes on with a brush, and looks more like the original than any specific weatherstrip cement does. Also works extremely well. It all depends on the look you are seeking to achieve.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:19 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

On standard jobs we use the 08008 black. On restorations that require the correct color glue we use the Weldwood contact adhesive Part# 0226 Looks like the original stuff. I think this may be what 62 above is using too. I've used this for years.... It's also what we use on our soft tops.

As with any weatherstrip installation, a clean part is a must. We clean all new weatherstrips with prepsol and then we put a thin coat of glue on the part and allow it to dry. We then put a thin coat on the area to be glued to and again.. we allow it to dry. We then we go back and place another small amount of glue on the rubber and glue it down. If you glue it this way you'd better test fit the weatherstrip first. It won't come off if you follow the instructions above, you'll destroy the rubber.

Use painters tape if needed to hold the rubber in place (along the bottom of the door).

-Willcox
The following users liked this post:
454Luvr (01-04-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 03:15 AM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I like 3M 08001 Yellow Super Weatherstrip.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:49 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 483 Likes on 351 Posts

When I installed the weatherstrip from Corvette-Rubber they recommended #08008 at the time. They also suggested that you put tape over any part you did not want adhesive on
The following users liked this post:
454Luvr (01-07-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 01:00 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
On standard jobs we use the 08008 black. On restorations that require the correct color glue we use the Weldwood contact adhesive Part# 0226 Looks like the original stuff. I think this may be what 62 above is using too. I've used this for years.... It's also what we use on our soft tops.

As with any weatherstrip installation, a clean part is a must. We clean all new weatherstrips with prepsol and then we put a thin coat of glue on the part and allow it to dry. We then put a thin coat on the area to be glued to and again.. we allow it to dry. We then we go back and place another small amount of glue on the rubber and glue it down. If you glue it this way you'd better test fit the weatherstrip first. It won't come off if you follow the instructions above, you'll destroy the rubber.

Use painters tape if needed to hold the rubber in place (along the bottom of the door).

-Willcox
Thanks, it's your weatherstrip I'm using. The quality looks really good, and I'm sure it will be leak-free if I do this right.

Get notified of new replies

To Weatherstrip Adhesive

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weatherstrip Adhesive