C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowest reccomend radiator cap to preserve the heater core

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 12:24 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default lowest reccomend radiator cap to preserve the heater core

i was reading higher radiator caps ~16lbs can blow radiators, hoses and heater cores

i do not want to redo the heater core ever

is this a good place to look to relive some pressure?
Old 01-29-2016, 12:48 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Where did you here that? Not true anyway. If any of those components fail, it's not due to pressure but due to defective, worn or corroded parts.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:24 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Cooling System Stop Leak

It would make sense to lower the "blow off" pressure to protect the heater core but they almost always fail because of a soldered tube leaking because of a poor solder job. If you're worried about the core leaking just use a container of Barz Leak in your system because it won't hurt anything and will seal any little leak when it starts. I have read ordinary black pepper makes an excellent stop leak and its certainly very cheap.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:17 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

yes i heard GM recommended tablets for some Buicks prone to leaks , i am no against putting stuff like Barr powdery stuff in car,

i just changed the heater core and i think my cap is blowing off early, since i puke all the time, even with very low temps

i am going to grab a new one today, and was wondering if i can go lower than the 15 called for in the repair manuals
Old 01-29-2016, 09:39 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

15 or 16 lbs should not be too high. Do you have a recovery tank or does yours puke on the ground? If on the ground, are you filling the radiator full or leaving room for expansion? My Griffith radiator (pukes on ground) will settle at a level maybe 3 inches or so below the bottom of the filler. It bothered me until I counted the exposed cores and discovered that it was always at that level when cold. If I added more it would be back to the same spot after a drive and cooling again, and yes, there was evidence of coolant on the bottom of the drain hose.

Try letting it puke out and cool all the way down. Check the level the next day. Drive again and see where it ends up after cooling from the second drive. Unless it is puking half of the radiator I would guess it is seeking it's happy level. If it's losing more than a couple inches from full you have another problem.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:15 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

1982 i have an overflow tank, just bought a new 16lb, i think the spring on my old cap was weak and letting go too soon
Old 01-30-2016, 03:52 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Lower pressure provides less "stress" to the cooling system...at the expense of coolant boiling at a lower temperature.

If your system stays reasonably cool, it shouldn't have a problem operating with a lower pressure cap. Just maintain about a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water to keep coolant boiling point as high as possible.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 01-30-2016 at 03:52 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:35 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

If you're worried about pressure, why not run waterless coolant?
It's expensive but the benefits outweigh the initial investment IMO.
http://www.evanscooling.com/
Old 01-30-2016, 10:20 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Lower pressure provides less "stress" to the cooling system...at the expense of coolant boiling at a lower temperature.

If your system stays reasonably cool, it shouldn't have a problem operating with a lower pressure cap. Just maintain about a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water to keep coolant boiling point as high as possible.
i am at 60/40 could not get more in, and i read less coolant= higher boiling point correct?

it is not self fulfilling? if the system is efficient, and heat is under control let's say hypothetically ~180*

then even though a higher number cap is installed, the actual pressures are not even close to the number on the cap correct?

and in this case the higher number cap is just an insurance policy against after-boil and boiling right?

Last edited by slickfx3; 01-30-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:34 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

The cap calibration is for when the coolant begins to boil over. Once it boils, the pressure increases greatly. The cap relieves the pressure and protects the system. But, a system with a 7 psi cap will relieve sooner than one with a higher pressure; thus, it will protect the system from higher stresses...and possibly rupturing the heater core.

With ethylene glycol coolant, about a 55/45 mix is optimum for max temp capability. But 50/50 is usually recommended mix, as it is easy to do. With a lower ratio...or higher ratio...of water to coolant, the boiling point reduces. Check the boiling point table for exact ratio differences (Google).

Last edited by 7T1vette; 01-30-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:36 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,203 Likes on 2,758 Posts

My project car would puke a spot about 1 sq. ft./not much, after a week of driving the radiator was low enough to get the 180* temp up to 220*.

I added a coolant recovery tank in an "undisclosed location".......haven't needed to add coolant since!
Old 01-30-2016, 11:04 AM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Because of expansion due to heat, the pressure can rise without any boiling. A lower pressure cap will vent and maintain the lower pressure = less likely to damage any weak points. If your system is maintaining a lower temp so you don't need the extra pressure you are good. But watch out for a higher temp after shutdown as the coolant flow stops, but heat is still being absorbed in the engine. This could cause blow off when you shut down. Another thing to think about, along the same line, is maintaining/changing the coolant so you keep a less corrosive fluid in there.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:21 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by slickfx3
i am at 60/40 could not get more in, and i read less coolant= higher boiling point correct?

it is not self fulfilling? if the system is efficient, and heat is under control let's say hypothetically ~180*

then even though a higher number cap is installed, the actual pressures are not even close to the number on the cap correct?

and in this case the higher number cap is just an insurance policy against after-boil and boiling right?
Your cooling system for the 82 is always kept full. No air in the system/radiator.

So your cap will always let coolant into the overflow tank as it heats and expands.
Water/coolant is incompressible. So as it heats it is forced past the cap into the overflow tank due to expansion.
Then as the system cools after you shut it off the fluid in the overflow tank is drawn back into the radiator to maintain it full.
This is why there is a "full cold" and "full hot" line on your overflow tank.

Now if your overflow tank is overflowing that is due to overfilling the tank or a blown head gasket.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:24 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

i hope it's not a blown head gasket, if that were the case would coolant get sucked in to the C- chamber and out the tailpipe as well???

i would squeeze the hose and the coolant would go past the cap and into the overflow,

i put in a new 16 cap yesterday and now my water pump in leaking

are aluminum water pump available for the c3?

Last edited by slickfx3; 01-30-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:12 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Yes, aluminium wp's are readily available. But not all small block pumps are the same. There are long, short and corvette styles.

Last edited by resdoggie; 01-30-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:33 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...i put in a new 16 cap yesterday and now my water pump in leaking...
So go back to the stock 15lb cap. A helluva lot cheaper than an aluminum water you probably don't need.

Just the same, it's your money and your car.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:49 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
So go back to the stock 15lb cap. A helluva lot cheaper than an aluminum water you probably don't need.

Just the same, it's your money and your car.
they didn't have the 15lb is 16 too high?

Get notified of new replies

To lowest reccomend radiator cap to preserve the heater core

Old 01-30-2016, 03:01 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

i hope it's not a blown head gasket, if that were the case would coolant get sucked in to the C- chamber and out the tailpipe as well???

i would squeeze the hose and the coolant would go past the cap and into the overflow,

i put in a new 16 cap yesterday and now my water pump in leaking

are aluminum water pump available for the c3?
bad cap then

Leaking from where?

Around the shaft, you'll need a new pump. where it bolts to the block or around a hose connection and you just need to fix that with a gasket or hose clamp or new hose.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:31 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

For all the guys up north that cruise all summer and store all winter; who needs a heater? Just pull off the 2 heater hoses and hook them to a "U" tube. You'll never have to worry about the heater core leaking and get a cooler summer ride.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:36 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
bad cap then

Leaking from where?

Around the shaft, you'll need a new pump. where it bolts to the block or around a hose connection and you just need to fix that with a gasket or hose clamp or new hose.
i had to put the car away

i'll need to take another look

Quick Reply: lowest reccomend radiator cap to preserve the heater core