C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug wire routing to EFI distributor

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 05:55 PM
golfboy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Spark plug wire routing to HEI distributor

I need some help! Today I installed chrome valve covers on my 1978 Pace Car. It has a Delco HEI distributor. I removed several spark plug wires to make the removal and installation easier and tried to tag the wires and distributor so I could return them to their proper place and order. But as I was working, a couple of tags fell off the distributor and by the time I noticed it, I wasn't sure which wires went where. After finishing with the valve covers, I put the spark plug wires back on the distributor where I thought they should go and fired the car up. First thing I noticed was a backfire when starting the car. Then, on a test drive around the block the engine would backfire several times as I accelerated. I think I might have a couple of wires in the wrong spot on the distributor. Can anyone show me a diagram of the proper order the wires should be in? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this right before I drive the car again.

Last edited by golfboy; 02-05-2016 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling
Old 02-05-2016, 07:12 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 543 Posts

Look on your intake manifold and there will be a casting mark of the firing order. That is the order that the wires go into the distributor, going clockwise. Start with the #1wire and work your way around. I would tell you the firing order, but I promise you that if you do this on your own now, you'll never forget! That is something some old guy once told me, so I am passing it down to you. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:33 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

18436572. Firing order. Google any of this and multiple images will come up.
The following users liked this post:
golfboy (02-06-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Spark plug wire routing to EFI distributor

Quick Reply: Spark plug wire routing to EFI distributor