C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choke linkage issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 04:03 AM
Tala
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choke linkage issue?

Long time lurker- first time poster here.
Just replaced the stock manifold on my small block 74 with an Edelbrock. Swapping out the carb for a Holley 4160 with a drop air filter. Only problem I'm having is making the choke linkage fit! It doesn't seem to fit with the manifold. I was thinking of maybe disabling the choke entirely, but there must be a better way around this problem. I couldn't find any answers on this so thought someone here might be able to help.
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-27-2016, 10:40 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Any time you swap out the stock carb for an aftermarket carb, you're going to have to be able to custom fabricate things to make things work.

If you are having "choke linkage problems," I assume the carb you bought is set up for a mechanical divorced choke system. If this is the case, you cannot use the Q-Jet divorced choke coil on the manifold, because it rotates the wrong direction for a Holley. You will need to locate and buy a divorced choke system for a Holley-equipped Vette, and then you'll need to custom-fabricate the rod based on the installed height of your carb above the choke coil. If this is the system you're using, make sure that you do not use an exhaust crossover blocking gasket, since this will disable the hot choke function.

An easier solution is to just use a Holley with an electric integral choke. This will eliminate the need for any choke linkage components. If your Holley has the integral choke for the hot air tubes, you can buy an electric conversion kit from Holley to eliminate the hot air tubes and go full electric.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:38 PM
Duffro
3rd Gear

The carb is a Holley with electric choke. The issue is that the throttle lever on the pass side that turns off the choke when you rev it dips down below the mounting plane of the carb and fouls the manifold. Since the car has such a low hood, we didn't think we could run much of a spacer.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:53 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Which manifold are you using? The only Edelbrock intake that will fit under the small block hood without problems is the standard "Performer" manifold (not the "RPM"). The standard Performer manifold can be used with the 1/4" thick gasket under the carb, which will alleviate the problem you describe. If you're using any other manifold, you have some significant fitment problems that you'll need to address...

Lars
Old 02-27-2016, 06:18 PM
Duffro
3rd Gear

That's the one. Ok, good to know. A 1/4" just might do it. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Choke linkage issue?

Quick Reply: Choke linkage issue?