C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More power steering hose qusetions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 10:13 AM
tmd442
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default More power steering hose qusetions

I recently had the (less than 1000 miles ago) The power steering pump, All the hoses , the power steering cylinder (new not rebuilt) along with the power steering control valve (Also new not rebuilt).
everything was nice and dry until last week when I noticed oil on the garage floor (power steering fluid).
Put her up on ramps and saw both hoses that attach to the ps cylinder leaking and they are tight. Is there anything I can to to stop the leaks or do I need too once again replace the 2 hose going to the cylinder or try loosening them and re-tighten?

It's starting to really get on my nerves.

Thanks in advance

Oh yea it's a 71 w/4 speed and A/C

Last edited by tmd442; 03-10-2016 at 10:16 AM. Reason: added year
Old 03-10-2016, 10:29 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

I would try re-loosening and tightening them first. someone may have over-tightened and split the flare though. if so, new hoses are in your future...
The following users liked this post:
tmd442 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 11:27 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

The hoses may not be tight enough. I'd loosen them then re-tighten them. Remove all oil with a rag then make a hard right and left turn to pressurize the hoses and check for leaks again. It's possible only one is leaking and the wind is blowing the oil onto the other fitting.
tmd442 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 01:28 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
The hoses may not be tight enough. I'd loosen them then re-tighten them. Remove all oil with a rag then make a hard right and left turn to pressurize the hoses and check for leaks again. It's possible only one is leaking and the wind is blowing the oil onto the other fitting.
I was thinking that too, may only be one leaking, or may be dripping down the line from the clamped return line making it look like they are both leaking. clean them up real good first put some baby powder/talc on them and watch it run to make sure that's exactly where the leak is...oil leaks can be really deceiving and hard to pin-point sometimes...
tmd442 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 08:40 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by gungatim
I would try re-loosening and tightening them first. someone may have over-tightened and split the flare though. if so, new hoses are in your future...
This /\. I also had a problem with a crimped on end. It leaked onto the rubber hose.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

45 degree flare fittings are notorious for leaks. Parts have to be machined and formed to precise tolerances to insure a good seal. I know that it is difficult to inspect but if you look into the control valve port(s) at the brass fitting. You should be able to see a uniform, 360 degree indentation where the flared tubing was pressed into the brass seat. That should indicate a good seal. If the indentation is interrupted, there is your leak path.

Sometimes just loosening the nut, fiddling with the tubing to centralize things and then retorquing the nut can result in a good seal.

It is also true that just tightening the nut to a higher torque level may also seal things up. CAUTION - You can also strip threads, break the cast ports, and cause non-repairable damage with too much torque.
tmd442 (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 09:51 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
45 degree flare fittings are notorious for leaks. Parts have to be machined and formed to precise tolerances to insure a good seal. I know that it is difficult to inspect but if you look into the control valve port(s) at the brass fitting. You should be able to see a uniform, 360 degree indentation where the flared tubing was pressed into the brass seat. That should indicate a good seal. If the indentation is interrupted, there is your leak path.

Sometimes just loosening the nut, fiddling with the tubing to centralize things and then retorquing the nut can result in a good seal.

It is also true that just tightening the nut to a higher torque level may also seal things up. CAUTION - You can also strip threads, break the cast ports, and cause non-repairable damage with too much torque.
if it's the flare fitting that's dripping , you have to center and square up the flare as close as possible just before the nut grabs the line. Make sure it's not the crimp holding the rubber line to the metal isn't leaking.
tmd442 (03-11-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 10:00 AM
tmd442
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A Quick thanks to all, Replaced the two hoses yesterday.
The flare on the old Extend hose at the cylinder had a slight crack in it.
So far so good.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:51 PM
tonak
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I rebuilt my power steering control valve and replaced the hoses a few years ago. Getting the hoses to not leak was the most difficult task in the whole process. Glad to hear it's not just not me, but it does suck.

Get notified of new replies

To More power steering hose qusetions

Quick Reply: More power steering hose qusetions