C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Console and Gauge Questions

Old 03-14-2016, 02:16 PM
brian76
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Console and Gauge Questions

I'm trying to get the light on for the shifter position indicator- you know- P R N D 3 2 1. I spliced to a wire going from a gauge wire (gray),and it won't light up. The wire works fine to the gauge. The same thing holds true for the climate control housing. The gauge only has one wire, and I guess it gets its ground from the metal prong that attaches to the cluster housing. When I plug the connector into the shifter and climate control housings (which are also metal) they still don't work. Bulbs are new. Should I look for a 2 wire socket and ground somewhere else? 2nd question is the fuel gauge. It always reads to the 1st rivet past Full. Willcox says it's a broken OHM wire from the sending unit, but I spiced a jumper wire from the SU directly to the gauge and it does the same thing. The gauge is new, and I also tried it with the old one and it's the same. Final question, the resistor on the gauge only reads 72 OHMs when it should read about 90 OHMs. Does anyone know where I can get one? If I can't then I'll have to get a wire resister instead, but have no idea of what kind of wattage I need for a 90 OHM wire resister. Does anybody know this? HELP!
Old 03-14-2016, 02:58 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

the fuel sender will also read past full if you have a bad ground connection coming off the gas tank sender unit. Clean the area where it connects to the frame.
The following users liked this post:
brian76 (03-14-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 03:52 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Touch the ends of a small 'jumper' wire to the following items (with parking lights ON) and see if the bulbs in the lower console light up:

> one end touching any metal on the gauge bezel;

> other end touching any metal on the lower console bezel.

If they light, the jumper wire has replaced the 'missing' ground wire to your lower console, and you need to run a 'good' grounding wire from a known-good grounding point to metal in the lower console area.

If they do NOT light, you have some problem with the 12vdc and/or ground signals getting to the lower console.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 03-14-2016 at 03:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
brian76 (03-14-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Console and Gauge Questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Console and Gauge Questions