C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 10:14 PM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Default Power brakes

I grew up believing a lie. I was told that all cars with disc brakes had power brakes. Recently I learned that Corvettes had disc brakes without having power brakes. So, now here I am at a fork in the road for my project - 68 Coupe that will be getting a 327 with a 4 speed. I am at the point to get some brake lines, and the question comes standard or power brakes. Since I am not numbers correct, I am concerned about authenticity. Just want a good safe driver. Not a racer either but may have to put a Camaro or Stang in it's place. I am at a place where I can easily add a booster. So, are power brakes worth adding or not? BTW I have driven many vehicles in the past without power brakes. At 55 and looking at 60 before it is done is this a consideration also? TIA Andy
Old 04-08-2016, 10:58 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I have met lots of people who think disc brakes must be power, I have discs on my vw trike, not power.
It likely comes from the fact that disc brakes require more pedal force than drums so power brakes helps reduce the pressure one needs to apply,
Do you need power brakes or do you just want them, hum,
My project is a 454 69 it has power steering and power brakes, and I believe if it didn't have either I would add power brakes as it cant be that costly like converting to modern power steering, it boils down to how much and how will you use the car if you would really get a good bang for your buck...I plan to use my 69 as a car.
The following users liked this post:
Andy Tuttle (04-09-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 11:07 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

My last two Vette's (66' and 69' Tri-Power) did not have power brakes.....I never missed it.
My 72' has it and that is great as it came with the car....but the added expense and area the booster takes up would be a deal breaker for me if building a car from scratch.

Jebby
Andy Tuttle (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 12:29 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

I completely rebuilt the original calipers and master cylinder on my manual-brake project and they worked perfectly.

BUT............living in Louisiana.....I had to add a power booster to compensate for the idiots who were dialing/texting/etc-ering while "unknowingly?" running stop signs

It DID take 3 test drives to adjust the new booster so that the brakes weren't "grabby"/too sensitive during "normal stops".

Edit: My stock engine has 14 "lbs." of vacuum......the experienced members can tell you the MINIMUM vacuum need for a booster to operate correctly.

Last edited by doorgunner; 04-09-2016 at 12:32 AM.
Andy Tuttle (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 01:07 AM
69FASTFUN
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 141 Posts

I am restoring a 72 convertible and I am adding the options that I want I am adding power brakes, tilt tele wheel and power windows. I think it will be worth it. I had a 69 427 coupe with manual brakes and it just took some getting used to.
Andy Tuttle (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 01:21 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

If you are considering adding power brakes, why not just add the hydro-boost setup. Takes up less space than the stock power booster.
It ties into your power steering pump so it does not need engine vacuum to run.
Many articles in the tech section area from guys who have done this.
You can buy a full setup from a vendor or fabricate your own from salvage yard or ebay sellers. Hydro-boost is used in a lot of GM cars and vans after the C3 was built. Astro vans are a common source of them that match up to our Vettes.
I have a setup ready to go into my project once I pull the body and get going on the frame.

Just another option to consider.

Bman
Andy Tuttle (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 10:55 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Andy-

Adding factory power brakes to your car is pretty simple.. All you need is the booster and master cylinder a brake line change from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve and a brake lamp activation switch bracket for the brake pedal... You have to modify the fiberglass in the firewall which is very easy, knock out two studs and drill two more holes..

I've done a few write ups on the forum that should help you... but for the money, I'd go with power ... IMHO...

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 04-09-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:40 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

There is NO difference in brake stopping power and fade capabilities between standard and power brakes. The ONLY differences are pedal effort and brake "feel" to the driver.

Many road racers prefer the "feel" of standard braking systems; but over a long race, brake work can be tiring. For normal city driving, it probably depends on what you are most used to....and who else might be driving the car. Power brakes with ABS would be ideal; but adding ABS to a C3 would be 'traumatic'.

Don't fret over this one. Install the braking system that will give you the best combination of comfort and confidence.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:49 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

I've driven both. I vote for power.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:45 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Power Brakes for sure!
I have them on my 67 435 BB.
I have the optional J56 Heavy Duty Brakes;
They work flawlessly even with only 8" of vacuum at idle.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:08 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,936 Posts

If you are looking to purchase a C3 in the near future, I would look at the overall quality of the car.
Whether or not it had power brakes should not be a deal breaker, because swapping from manual to power brakes is a simple and low cost modification.
If you use original type components to make the swap, the components should be easily obtainable in Germany.
I own a 73 big block coupe and the OEM power brakes work effortlessly.
The only thing you may consider, if you plan to highly modify the engine, is to insure that whatever camshaft you choose, that it will pull enough vacuum to operate the power brakes as the OEM type boosters are vacuum assist.
Keep us posted on your C3 search and send us the details and pictures of your purchase.
Happy hunting!
Old 06-02-2019, 04:57 AM
Double-O
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, I am new to Corvettes and new to this forum. Being mostly a big luxury car guy like Caddys, Lincolns, etc., I was apprehensive when buying my 71 roadster last month because it was a base no option car. I personally like it and its no issue. I really enjoy the "connected" driving feel like I have with my old 77 Porsche 911S.

As mentioned by others, power brakes are better in the respect they require less pedal effort, however braking ability is the same. Fact: you will get easier braking from power brakes vs non power. I speculate some of the negativity towards non power brakes could be due to us comparing to modern cars we drive daily and then getting into our our old cars for a weekend drive. I own more than a few old cars that I rotate into my daily driving to keep them "well oiled". To me, it just takes a few blocks and I am dialed into the car I am driving.

I'm enjoying this forum, Lots of good tech advice!
Old 06-02-2019, 06:21 PM
Dusky
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Brake stopping power is the same ALTHOUGH a very big difference :brake distance is NOT the same. You build brake pressure quicker with the power brakes. Therefore you ll have a shorter emergency braking distance.

Get notified of new replies

To Power brakes

Quick Reply: Power brakes