C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

over heated

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 05:01 PM
patrick68
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over heated

While restoring the engine compartment of my 68'(52,000 miles) I used those tower clamps. While driving down the freeway the temp began to rise, rapidly !. I was coasting down the off ramp, the gauge was reading 250 deg.

Upon close inspection, the heater core hose had come off. Not sure if I forgot to tighten that one or didn't' get it tight enough.

I replaced the hoses again, new tower clamps and made sure all have been tightened. The first time running the engine, I had a leak above the lower radiator hose connect.

Oil is clean and clear exhaust.

Repositioned the lower hose. Leak reduced to a drip.

Started engine, exhaust is white steam. Oil still clean, no sign of contamination.

Pulled the pump, the inspection plate gasket looked suspect. I think this is where the leak is. Any one have any thoughts on the engine and where I can find this inspection plate gasket?
Old 04-12-2016, 05:06 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Normally the pump leaks at the weep hole on the bottom...
Old 04-12-2016, 05:46 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Steam out the exhaust means coolant finding it's way into the combustion chamber. The first thing I'd suspect is a blown head gasket. It only gets uglier from there, like a cracked head.

What inspection cover / pump? Fuel pump, water pump, oil?

Last edited by SH-60B; 04-12-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:02 PM
widowmaker221
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by patrick68
While restoring the engine compartment of my 68'(52,000 miles) I used those tower clamps. While driving down the freeway the temp began to rise, rapidly !. I was coasting down the off ramp, the gauge was reading 250 deg.

Upon close inspection, the heater core hose had come off. Not sure if I forgot to tighten that one or didn't' get it tight enough.

I replaced the hoses again, new tower clamps and made sure all have been tightened. The first time running the engine, I had a leak above the lower radiator hose connect.

Oil is clean and clear exhaust.

Repositioned the lower hose. Leak reduced to a drip.

Started engine, exhaust is white steam. Oil still clean, no sign of contamination.

Pulled the pump, the inspection plate gasket looked suspect. I think this is where the leak is. Any one have any thoughts on the engine and where I can find this inspection plate gasket?
Definitely a head gasket at least!
The following users liked this post:
patrick68 (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 01:10 PM
patrick68
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SH-60B
Steam out the exhaust means coolant finding it's way into the combustion chamber. The first thing I'd suspect is a blown head gasket. It only gets uglier from there, like a cracked head.

Water pump. I can always make a gasket. If you are having the pump rebuilt they can access the pump shaft and seal by removing this plate.

I'll pull all the plugs. I hate tower clamps. Biggest POS ever.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:12 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

the back water pump gasket should be available at most auto parts stores
http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heat...?checkfit=true

you need to do a compression test
Old 04-13-2016, 01:54 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SH-60B

ditto. first indication is over pressurizing the cooling system and blowing off hoses. put a pressure guage on the radiator cap and run the engine. if it runs up past 15 psi quickly you've got a problem...

Get notified of new replies

To over heated

Quick Reply: over heated