C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use the IGN slot on fuse panel for multiple connections?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:29 AM
kapayakapaya
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I use the IGN slot on fuse panel for multiple connections?

As far as I can tell on my 1969 coupe, there is only one IGN 'slot' in the middle of the under-dash fuse panel. The previous owner already has something hooked up to this slot. I want to hook up the electric choke on my Holley carb now, and reading through previous threads it seems the appropriate method is to run a wire from the carb through the firewall to the IGN slot.

My question is: Can I split the connector and basically make it a "Y" connection coming off of the single IGN slot, and then run to multiple locations? If so is there a limit to this? I am also thinking about running my electric fan to the same slot.

Thank you
Old 04-13-2016, 12:33 PM
Robert Thomas
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly, the IGN connection is switched unfused 12 volts from the ignition switch.

If you connect the choke coil there you need to include an inline fuse od whatever amperage Holley requires.

It's not a good place for electric fans because the fans draw a lot of current. You could use that connection for 12v to energize a relay that draws current from the battery, but not connect directly to the fan.

Quick Reply: Can I use the IGN slot on fuse panel for multiple connections?