454 Air cleaner question - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

454 Air cleaner question

Old 05-03-2016, 08:56 PM
Saddlehorn

Default 454 Air cleaner question

My 1973 454 stock dual snorkel air cleaner is badly rusted and mangled and I'm looking at repro bases, but most say they fit "350" engines. Are the air cleaner bases the same for 350 and 454 engines? Anyone found a replacement stock 73-74 454 air cleaner that fits? Thanks
Old 05-03-2016, 09:31 PM
Tooch1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Saddlehorn View Post
My 1973 454 stock dual snorkel air cleaner is badly rusted and mangled and I'm looking at repro bases, but most say they fit "350" engines. Are the air cleaner bases the same for 350 and 454 engines? Anyone found a replacement stock 73-74 454 air cleaner that fits? Thanks
Hi Saddelhorn,
The air cleaner bases are the same for the 350 and 454 on the 73 corvette. However, the hood seal flanges are a little different. You asked only about the base so I assume your top flange can be refinished.
If you want to purchase a new repro base all the vendors have them. Just be careful if you buy a new top seal ring, some vendors sell only one and don't distinguish a difference for the 454.
If you look on eBay you may find a decent used one to refinish. Also remember that the 73-74 have the same base. But the base changed slightly in 75 because of the HEI ignition new in 75. Some don't call this out when posting them for sale. If refinishing use gloss black as originals were painted.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Jim

Last edited by Tooch1; 05-03-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:39 PM
Saddlehorn

Originally Posted by Tooch1 View Post
Hi Saddelhorn,
The air cleaner bases are the same for the 350 and 454 on the 73 corvette. However, the hood seal flanges are a little different. You asked only about the base so I assume your top flange can be refinished.
If you want to purchase a new repro base all the vendors have them. Just be careful if you buy a new top seal ring, some vendors sell only one and don't distinguish a difference for the 454.
If you look on eBay you may find a decent used one to refinish. Also remember that the 73-74 have the same base. But the base changed slightly in 75 because of the HEI ignition new in 75. Some don't call this out when posting them for sale. If refinishing use gloss black as originals were painted.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Jim
Thanks Jim. My top flange and seal ring are OK, just the base needs to be replaced. Appreciate the guidance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 454 Air cleaner question

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: