C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed for removing headlight actuator

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 05:17 PM
Mpls Funk
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Advice needed for removing headlight actuator

Hi all,

I have determined that I need to replace one of my headlight actuators with the seal kit. What is the common opinion on the best way to get it out of the car? I saw a youtube video showing someone remove just the actuator, eventually pulling it out of the top. I have also read that it might be easier to remove the entire headlamp assembly out the bottom, and then remove the actuator from that while it's on the bench? The car is a 1970 small block, no A/C.

Any comments/tips/suggestions to make my life a little easier?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-05-2016, 05:35 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

You will find the actuator will come out very easily if you have an assistant hold the hood ALL the way open, past the stop. Some even disconnect the hood from the support. Just wrap it in a towel to make sure you do not scratch any paint when it comes out. If you have ever tried to re-align the assembly before, it can be a real challenge.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:44 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Take four nuts off actuator. Take two springs off mechanism. Undo pin holding actuator. Hood open. If I remember right headlight door open. Should wiggle out through hood and body. Might need to over extend hood with hand to get it out of bigger opening. my .02

Last edited by Surfer69; 05-05-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:59 PM
Steveshighperformance
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Sealing Headlight Actuators

As you can only remove the 4 nuts from the bottom I find it's easiest to remove the actuator from the bottom too. If you have the front end jacked up and supported on two safety stands it only takes about 15-20 minutes to remove one. I just re-sealed both of the actuators on my '82 last week. For the later C3's that have the plastic air dam remove that beforehand to gain easier access.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:24 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,394 Posts

I find it easier to remove the actuator from the bottom. Close the hood before removing the actuator to avoid scratching the hood. I can now replace mine in about 10 minutes after doing it a couple of times.

Here is the step-by step guide I used the first time I did mine.
http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...system-repair/

Last edited by Iceaxe; 05-05-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:20 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I took mine out from the top. Although it was a few years ago, I remember it was no trouble. I did heavily tape the hood, and all the surrounding area to me sure nothing would get scratched, and all worked out perfect. I too took mine out to replace the seals,and everything worked perfect afterwards.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice needed for removing headlight actuator

Quick Reply: Advice needed for removing headlight actuator