C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stroker

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 10:53 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Well then you're ****ed. You need to know whether the engine is internally or externally balanced. Both are possible/likely for a stroker small block. Only way to determine is to look at the matched flywheel or flexplate that was on it, or disassemble the engine and rebalance/measure the rotating assembly. Sorry to the bearer of bad news...

Last edited by Metalhead140; 05-08-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:33 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

If I can put my hands on the original flywheel(standard trans) a machine shop can hook me up without ripping the engine apart? Just looking at the pictures I posted would look to be a external balance?
Old 05-09-2016, 01:01 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

I sometimes have bad understanding but, I see flex plates for sale neutral or weighted are they saying the rotating ***. is balanced using the damper and a fixed weight flex plate to balance it all out?
Old 05-09-2016, 10:01 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Here the back end flywheel
Old 05-09-2016, 03:03 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

The flywheel shown in your above picture is neutral balance.

In the last picture, it is unusual in that there is paint covering the flywheel surface which contacts the clutch disk - it would appear that it has never driven a clutch! I've never seen a used flywheel appear like this.

If you want to use this motor with an automatic trans, you need a new neutral balance flexplate with 153 teeth for a motor with a two-piece main seal.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:34 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

It came out of a boat. So the front damper is where the weight adjustment was done? The motor looks really clean under the covers camel back heads with rollers.

Last edited by croaker; 05-09-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:59 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

No offense Croaker, but you need to at least have a basic understanding to the questions you are asking. Your situation had been answered multiple times, but you are completely confused on the whole concept of engine balance and flywheel/flexplate.

The forum is here to help, but a basic understanding on your post subject is usually expected. It would not make sense for me, or someone else for that matter, to type multiple paragraphs explaining engine balance when there are professional articles all over the web explaining in detail.

1. Posting a picture of a motor does not identify it as a SBC 350 vs a SBC stroker motor.
2. It also does not identify anything about it's balance.
3. Flywheels are only used on standard / manual transmissions (except boats)
4. There is no "weight adjustment" done after a motor is assembled.

If you want to skip any education on the matter, go buy a "Neutral" flexplate for an internal balanced 2 piece rear main seal small block chevy, and if you don't have the harmonic balancer / damper, also buy a neutral / internal balanced damper. Bolt them both on, bolt up your auto tranny, and your good to go.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:29 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

I thought that's what I was doing trying to understand. Asking dumb *** questions ? I work a lot so I'm kinda stuck wondering crap maybe over analyzing stuff.

Quick Reply: Stroker