C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on lwr rad hose/compressor brace

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 08:48 AM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
Default question on lwr rad hose/compressor brace

This is on my 77 with a/c. Got into one of those infamous while i'm in here journeys. Anyway, radiator and shroud are already removed so everything is real visible. The lower radiator hose outlet on the water pump places the hose in direct line with the frt a/c compressor brace rod. I noticed the old lower hose has a pretty decent kink in it where it was sort of bent around that brace. Does anyone know the proper orientation of that brace? I am waiting on a new hose so not entirely sure if the one I removed was correct or from the sort of fits parts pile. Also since I am putting in a new radiator should I use any thread sealant on the trans cooler fittings or just metal/metal and snug them up, its an aluminum radiator if it makes a difference
Old 05-10-2016, 05:12 PM
danh77
Pro

So putting things back together and this lower a/c brace can't be correct, what am I missing? If I install it as it was it will kink the lower hose. Can anyone look at or take a pic of the lower a/c brace in regards to their lower hose exiting the water pump? This is on a 77. Hopefully this cruddy pic will make more sense as you can see the brace runs right in the way of where the hose exits.
Attached Images  

Last edited by danh77; 05-10-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:40 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

Brace looks like it's upside down compared to the one on my 79. Imo.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:02 PM
danh77
Pro

Originally Posted by speedreed8
Brace looks like it's upside down compared to the one on my 79. Imo.
I did just find it on one of the parts sites, it shows it with a belt guard on it which the one on my car has had most of the belt guard removed by someone. I tried turning it upside down but it won't bolt up. I have yet to find a picture of one mounted on a car to see the orientation of the belt guard. I knew it was time to walk away as I was nearing the point of tossing it out as right now the only way I can mount the lower hose is with it removed. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:38 PM
wendellp601
Safety Car

Received 188 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by danh77
I did just find it on one of the parts sites, it shows it with a belt guard on it which the one on my car has had most of the belt guard removed by someone. I tried turning it upside down but it won't bolt up. I have yet to find a picture of one mounted on a car to see the orientation of the belt guard. I knew it was time to walk away as I was nearing the point of tossing it out as right now the only way I can mount the lower hose is with it removed. Thanks for the input.
I have a '77, too. However, a PO has removed the compressor and brackets.
Here are some photos of the AIM pages that show the bracket (brace in the captions).

Old 05-10-2016, 08:52 PM
danh77
Pro

Thanks I was so frustrated with this as I scoured my AIM that I passed right by that page.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:09 AM
danh77
Pro

I believe I have found the issue. After walking away from it and looking at various diagrams in the manual. Whoever was here before me ran the metal fuel line from pump to carb in the close but not correct orientation which is probably why they cut off the belt guard for the bracket. My attempt later will be to reposition the line which should solve the issue and allow the brace to be installed properly( minus the belt guard).

Get notified of new replies

To question on lwr rad hose/compressor brace

Quick Reply: question on lwr rad hose/compressor brace