C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues with 77, more questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 08:48 PM
vannmike
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Issues with 77, more questions.

Been a rough going lately. Ignition module took a dump, then alternator. Been spending alot of time on this forum. Anyway, I have champion radiator, with a recently installed flex a lite fan pushing 3000 cfm. Engine is idling and running about 200-210 degrees per the brand new autometer gauge that kicked my *** during the install. Would love to get the temps down. I noticed that I have no expansion tank/ recovery tank. I know they changed in my year model(77). If I hook one of these up, would it cool Me down a bit, and I have a aftermarket aluminum champion radiator with a welded nipple right below the cap. This is where the tank would hook up too right?

Sorry for the all the post guys, car is not being good to me this summer
Old 05-11-2016, 12:56 AM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Yes that nipple is where you would attach the surge tank. It's a good Idea to have it installed, as the engine always is puking a little coolant out after shutting a hot engine down, and sucking some back in as it cools....keeps the rad topped to the correct level with coolant.
Your fan is a mechanical fan??? How about the thermostat, you should have a 195 degree thermostat in there, and if your not sure, spend the $10 bucks and get a new one.
The lower airdam is really important to guide higher pressure air up into the front of the rad for proper cooling...make sure all the foam bits are there too.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:15 AM
cobrachuck
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Mike
I run a 180 T stat in my 75 & the GTO, also check your timing again this can cause high heat
Your fan needs to move a bunch of air
At idle can you feel the air movement from the fan in front of the engine & heads ? If not you are not moving enough air across the radiator coils.
I had trouble with this on the Pontiac clutch fan was bad
Old 05-11-2016, 02:41 PM
vannmike
Racer

Originally Posted by cobrachuck
Mike
I run a 180 T stat in my 75 & the GTO, also check your timing again this can cause high heat
Your fan needs to move a bunch of air
At idle can you feel the air movement from the fan in front of the engine & heads ? If not you are not moving enough air across the radiator coils.
I had trouble with this on the Pontiac clutch fan was bad
Feels like a decent amount of air moving. I was impressed actually. My only concern in that the fan doesn't cover the entire radiator
Old 05-11-2016, 02:43 PM
vannmike
Racer

Originally Posted by sstocker31
Yes that nipple is where you would attach the surge tank. It's a good Idea to have it installed, as the engine always is puking a little coolant out after shutting a hot engine down, and sucking some back in as it cools....keeps the rad topped to the correct level with coolant.
Your fan is a mechanical fan??? How about the thermostat, you should have a 195 degree thermostat in there, and if your not sure, spend the $10 bucks and get a new one.
The lower airdam is really important to guide higher pressure air up into the front of the rad for proper cooling...make sure all the foam bits are there too.
The air dam is on the car. None of the seals are. I guess I need to buy a kit with all the seals. Hope the aftermarket radiator won't effect how they fit. I had a 195 thermostat. The shop that tuned my car put a 185 in it. And no, it's a flexalite black magic electric fan
Old 05-11-2016, 05:07 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

The problem lies with the fact that the "fan doesn't cover the entire radiator."

You need to build a fan shroud that covers the entire radiator and then mount the cooling fan on that.

Kind of like this.....http://img.youtube.com/vi/ub04uaZMVf4/0.jpg
Old 05-11-2016, 05:17 PM
vannmike
Racer

Originally Posted by sstocker31
The problem lies with the fact that the "fan doesn't cover the entire radiator."

You need to build a fan shroud that covers the entire radiator and then mount the cooling fan on that.

Kind of like this.....http://img.youtube.com/vi/ub04uaZMVf4/0.jpg
Looks like a baking sheet with a hole cut out for the fan. I guess blocking off the exposed area of the radiator forces the air through the fan, correct?
Old 05-11-2016, 05:45 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Pulls more air through it as a whole

Remember to put a number of rubber flaps ie vents in there so when youre at speed the air has somewhere to go or youll risk heating up at hwy speeds.
Google the fan man, give you some good ideas.

If you look at a lot of GM shrouds there are usually open spaces around it for that purpose
Old 05-11-2016, 05:52 PM
vannmike
Racer

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Pulls more air through it as a whole

Remember to put a number of rubber flaps ie vents in there so when youre at speed the air has somewhere to go or youll risk heating up at hwy speeds.
Google the fan man, give you some good ideas.

If you look at a lot of GM shrouds there are usually open spaces around it for that purpose
Wow, learning alot. Looks like little rupper flaps that lift when driving, but I thought you wanted to avoid air getting around the fan?
Old 05-11-2016, 06:56 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The flaps stay shut at idle or lower speeds so you get the full effect of the shroud. When pressure builds up the flaps get forced open and release the air the fan cant pull in.

Those use 3 1/8 in holes and have rubber nubs you just push through the hole to stay put. Cut your holes a little smaller than the flap

Looks like Summit sells them now nothing on Fan Man site anymore. Giants win again...
4 should be plenty

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sp...FQgaaQodBDQNrQ

Last edited by cv67; 05-11-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:53 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vannmike
Looks like a baking sheet with a hole cut out for the fan. I guess blocking off the exposed area of the radiator forces the air through the fan, correct?
I never noticed that when I was stealing the pic, but it does look like a cookie sheet....LOL

Here is a vid from a fellow vette owner on building your own shroud

Get notified of new replies

To Issues with 77, more questions.

Quick Reply: Issues with 77, more questions.