C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

77e corvette body mount reinforcement plate

Old 05-23-2016, 07:46 PM
hardmansonfan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 77e corvette body mount reinforcement plate

Hey guys thanks for all the help

My question is...

My body mounts behind both rear wheels has reinforcement plates that are rotted/rusted out completely off is it necessary to replace them if so how do i go about doing so. Im not sure if they need to be welded on or tack weld but it seems to be attached to fiberglass body.
Please help... Much appreciated ✌��️

P.s. I know the rear driver side is body mount #4. But not sure about rear passenger side

Last edited by hardmansonfan; 05-23-2016 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-23-2016, 09:50 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

The rear body mounts are #4 left or right. The reinforcements are riveted to the body.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:23 PM
teamo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

Most of the vendors carry the replacement reinforcements. They are rivited onto the fiberglass with soft aluminum rivets that are also sold by most corvette parts suppliers. Search previous threads there's lots of information on how to do this job.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:34 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Manson fan,

I'm assuming from the post that you are talking about the reinforcements on the body, and not the body mounts on the frame. I just started this project for the spring. The body mount reinforcements on my car were pretty much rotted away. I had to cut through the bolt and bushing with a sawz-all to separate the car from the frame. There are those that have replaced these without removing the splash guard, but that would take more patience than I have. Since I had the car off the frame and there was damage to the fiberglass mount, I removed the splash guard for easy access. Here is a picture of the passenger side mount:

Reinforcement before splash guard removal.<br/>

Here's what it looked like after I removed the splash guard:

I had to use a cutting wheel to remove the bolt stub. Four spacers came out.

Here are some pictures of the damaged fiberglass underneath the reinforcement:

Here is where the mount bolt was trying to tear through the bottom.

This crack is in the front part of the mount.

I don't know how bad yours are, but given what mine look like, I would say you should replace them. Once they disintegrate it's the fiberglass that takes the brunt of the forces, and you can see how deformed and cracked my mounts were. I was pretty surprised at what I found when I removed the reinforcements. The driver's side is only a little better, but there are plenty of repairs required there.

Hope this helps you decide.

Maj D
Old 05-24-2016, 08:49 AM
hardmansonfan
Instructor

Thanks maj d
Did you replace the fiberglass under the mount or just put on a new reinforcement plate ?
Old 05-24-2016, 07:27 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by hardmansonfan
Thanks maj d
Did you replace the fiberglass under the mount or just put on a new reinforcement plate ?
Manson fan,

I'm in the middle of the repair right now. I removed the mounts last weekend. If you look at a new one, you will see that the contact surface is flat. Since both mount surfaces on mine are bulged down from the bolt pulling against it, I doubt a new reinforcement would properly align with the rivet holes and would only contact the mount around the bulge point.

The current plan is fiberglass repair of this area unless someone reading this post has a better idea. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

MajD
Old 05-30-2016, 03:39 PM
hardmansonfan
Instructor

Hey maj d & all others...

Currently im working on multiple items on my vette. one of them is the body mounts. Yesterday i was spraying liquid wrench on all the body mounts. I took of the access panel off on body mount #3 in front of the rear tire (passenger side) & i found inside was a gray sponge and an old bottle of "vaseline baby oil (new)"

Why & for what somebody put that there i can only imagine
Enjoy the picture...... (I washed the bottle to see the old lable better) hahahahaha lololol. ������������������✌��️✌��

Old 05-30-2016, 07:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

That baby oil bottle is OLD due to no metric writing on it showing milliliters. INTERESTING!

ALSO..this #4 gusset is obviously riveted to the body...and TWO of these solid aluminum rivets are between the rear splash shield and the body tub.

DUB
Old 05-30-2016, 07:48 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Default #4 mount

The small rivet gun with an off set bit work well for the tight spots. Here are some other brackets that get riveted underneath. Non original applications can be pop rivets or nut and bolt.

Good luck
RVZIO

Old 05-31-2016, 01:17 AM
DN5014
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting, Just the other day I open the access panel on the drivers side, just in front of the rear wheel and ALSO FOUND A GRAY SPONGE / Rubber Pad. I did not find the baby oil.....

Any ideas???

1969 Convertible 350/350

Currently im working on multiple items on my vette. one of them is the body mounts. Yesterday i was spraying liquid wrench on all the body mounts. I took of the access panel off on body mount #3 in front of the rear tire (passenger side) & i found inside was a gray sponge and an old bottle of "vaseline baby oil (new)"

Enjoy the picture...... (I washed the bottle to see the old lable better) hahahahaha lololol. ������������������✌��️✌��

[/QUOTE]
Old 05-31-2016, 02:04 PM
hardmansonfan
Instructor

Hi..
Dn5014 i made a thread just for this pic under my screen name a few people said it was installed by factory to dampen noise in the fender also someone else said "I believe there were typically 3 pieces in each lock pillar, each a different shape. UPC 1 Bolt/Weld, Sheet B9 in the 71 AIM.
The one you found was located just below the striker bolt nut's cage." Also another person said whoever put the baby oil there might have used it on the tire as "tire shine" back in day....

Originally Posted by DN5014
Interesting, Just the other day I open the access panel on the drivers side, just in front of the rear wheel and ALSO FOUND A GRAY SPONGE / Rubber Pad. I did not find the baby oil.....

Any ideas???

1969 Convertible 350/350

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by hardmansonfan; 05-31-2016 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-31-2016, 06:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

YES...this square piece of foam is used to seal off an upper area of the 'B' pillar. It just fell down due to the 'B' pillar is hollow.

And if it falls down...then if something is placed in the rear of the car it can possibly move to the area that would allow something else to fall down....like that bottle of baby oil.

DUB
Old 06-01-2016, 07:52 AM
hardmansonfan
Instructor

Hi... Dub
Where would the upper area of the b pillar be located at ?? Passenger side rear compartment area (other side of the battery) ?? Or just in general the small "trunk" space ??
Thanks 👍🏼👍🏼✌🏼️

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...this square piece of foam is used to seal off an upper area of the 'B' pillar. It just fell down due to the 'B' pillar is hollow.

And if it falls down...then if something is placed in the rear of the car it can possibly move to the area that would allow something else to fall down....like that bottle of baby oil.

DUB

Last edited by hardmansonfan; 06-01-2016 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-01-2016, 07:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

The 'B' pillar is the pillar that your door striker bolt is attached to when you open your door.

The top opening of your 'B' pillar is BEHIND the quarter panel interior trim.

Stick a flash light in the area where you found the baby oil and square foam...and have it On and pointing UP...then turn the lights off ( so it is dark in your garage) and go inside your car and LOOK above WHERE you know the light is pointing and you will see light. THAT is the top of the 'B' pillar.

DUB
Old 06-01-2016, 07:32 PM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

I just primered the top of my B pillars last week-end. View from the rear:
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To 77e corvette body mount reinforcement plate

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 77e corvette body mount reinforcement plate