C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIA/L88 headlight kit assembly instructions needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 12:27 PM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default FIA/L88 headlight kit assembly instructions needed

Hey Guy's

Bought FIA headlight kit from a forum member, but he doesn't have the installation instructions.

How do I assemble the kit?
What do I reuse from my car?

All I have received is in the pictures.

Many thanks
Paul

Old 06-07-2016, 12:32 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,609 Posts

who manufactured the kit?
Old 06-07-2016, 01:23 PM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

Don't know.

I believe it is an assortment of parts.

I don't mind sourcing additional times if required, just need to know what I have (this kit + my car) and what else and how to install it.

Last edited by C3Paul; 06-07-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:30 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Has been a while since I did mine...its pretty easy and a lot of this is considered "fab work" as each car is a little different and not necessarily install work.
Obviuosly you have to remove the original lights and the housing that mounts to the underside of the nose.
The aluminum bucket slides into the opening from the radiator side, the three slotted holes should line up with the holes to the metal support brace under the nose and use what's in bag B to install.
The front of the bucket should rest on top of the L shaped metal support that runs along the very tip of the nose. I simply drilled down (3 holes) and use what's in bag A to mount.
The lamp holder/backing plate (which should be from a Corvair as per the originals) simply rivets to the aluminum bucket. This is where some trial and error comes in, make sure the big holes in the backing plate line up with the big holes in the aluminum bucket (its where the back of the lamp will come through) now you want to position them high enough up that the light will go over the lip of the nose area, but not too high that they will hit the lexan lense. You can get small spring clamps through the big hole and hold it in place whilst you check for height. Once your happy, drill 2 small holes through the backing plate and aluminum housing where they touch (around the big hole where the lamp goes through and rivet them in place, bag C)
The other thing here is that you MAY have to trim the backing plate to make it fit properly (to match the shape of the lense) Your backing plate seems to be missing a lamp adjuster (white plastic thing that pushes into the backing plate and has a screw with a slot around it that moves the cup in and out) you need to replace those (they are easy to find in autozone etc. etc.)

The last part is the lexan lense itself. Mounting can be done many ways, piano hinge at the front with a coupel of screws at the back, in theory you could do a no drilling version where you mount a L shaped bracket behind th ebumper so the cover slips under it and then use 3M trim tape on the back. A word of warning, look up some videos on line about cutting drilling this stuff as it can crack. I bought a couple of special drill bits that have a sharper cutting tip that helps prevent cracking and make sure the cover is always supported when you drill.

Nick
Old 06-08-2016, 08:04 AM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lvrpool32
Has been a while since I did mine...its pretty easy and a lot of this is considered "fab work" as each car is a little different and not necessarily install work.
Obviuosly you have to remove the original lights and the housing that mounts to the underside of the nose.
The aluminum bucket slides into the opening from the radiator side, the three slotted holes should line up with the holes to the metal support brace under the nose and use what's in bag B to install.
The front of the bucket should rest on top of the L shaped metal support that runs along the very tip of the nose. I simply drilled down (3 holes) and use what's in bag A to mount.
The lamp holder/backing plate (which should be from a Corvair as per the originals) simply rivets to the aluminum bucket. This is where some trial and error comes in, make sure the big holes in the backing plate line up with the big holes in the aluminum bucket (its where the back of the lamp will come through) now you want to position them high enough up that the light will go over the lip of the nose area, but not too high that they will hit the lexan lense. You can get small spring clamps through the big hole and hold it in place whilst you check for height. Once your happy, drill 2 small holes through the backing plate and aluminum housing where they touch (around the big hole where the lamp goes through and rivet them in place, bag C)
The other thing here is that you MAY have to trim the backing plate to make it fit properly (to match the shape of the lense) Your backing plate seems to be missing a lamp adjuster (white plastic thing that pushes into the backing plate and has a screw with a slot around it that moves the cup in and out) you need to replace those (they are easy to find in autozone etc. etc.)

The last part is the lexan lense itself. Mounting can be done many ways, piano hinge at the front with a coupel of screws at the back, in theory you could do a no drilling version where you mount a L shaped bracket behind th ebumper so the cover slips under it and then use 3M trim tape on the back. A word of warning, look up some videos on line about cutting drilling this stuff as it can crack. I bought a couple of special drill bits that have a sharper cutting tip that helps prevent cracking and make sure the cover is always supported when you drill.

Nick

Thank you Nick,

Found the manufacturer of the kit.
http://www.classicaircraftautoinc.com/apps/webstore/

Now, it looks like the Corvair backing plate is rather special as you know.

Would you mind if I was DM you to find out more about the Corvair plate modifications to do them justice, rather than hack them to make them fit?

Kindest regards

Paul

Edit: Spoke to the manufacturer and was advised to Not use the Corvair bracket due to the mounting issues and difficulty with head light adjustment.
Apparently, this kit is far more user and clearance friendly!?
http://www.classicaircraftautoinc.co...s/show/3577077

Last edited by C3Paul; 06-08-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:02 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C3Paul
Thank you Nick,

Found the manufacturer of the kit.
http://www.classicaircraftautoinc.com/apps/webstore/

Now, it looks like the Corvair backing plate is rather special as you know.

Would you mind if I was DM you to find out more about the Corvair plate modifications to do them justice, rather than hack them to make them fit?

Kindest regards

Paul

Edit: Spoke to the manufacturer and was advised to Not use the Corvair bracket due to the mounting issues and difficulty with head light adjustment.
Apparently, this kit is far more user and clearance friendly!?
http://www.classicaircraftautoinc.co...s/show/3577077
Paul, Its up to you, the Corvair brackets work fine with a little "mod" and you already have them so its just a little time and a can of black spray paint. IMHO mounting is simple and they are fully adjustable (the original versions did200 mph at Le Mans , at night..so I think they work fine)...but I'm not trying to sell you something
PM me and I can send you some pics later.

Nick
Old 06-08-2016, 03:50 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

I have classic air and Jim is great to deal with and more than happy to share some tips.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ica-kinda.html
Old 06-09-2016, 10:06 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

some pictures of my set up.
I used a piano hinge up front and 3 large head aluminum fasteners at the back.
Attached Images     
The following 2 users liked this post by lvrpool32:
bmans vette (06-09-2016), C3Paul (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 11:01 AM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

Nick you are a Super Star!!

How and where is the Corvair plate attached to the Aluminium Housing?
Old 06-09-2016, 11:09 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Nick you are a Super Star!!

How and where is the Corvair plate attached to the Aluminium Housing?
Where the red circles are the backing plate should touch the aluminum bucket, drill 3 holes in each and use the rivets

Did you get the lamp cups with the kit? they are specific to hi beam and low beam, they will all fit on the backing plate, but when you go to install the lamp the notches on the lamp/cup may not let the lamp sit upright, so make sure you mock them up before you start the install.
Attached Images  

Last edited by lvrpool32; 06-09-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:31 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Originally Posted by lvrpool32
some pictures of my set up.
I used a piano hinge up front and 3 large head aluminum fasteners at the back.
Nice pics of your setup Nick.
I have the same setup but have yet to install it. Have other body work to do first.
Your pics along with Jim from Classic Air's info make this much easier to visualize.

Dennis
Old 06-09-2016, 01:33 PM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

Measure twice, cut once!!

Nick, does this look about right?

Old 06-09-2016, 03:14 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

looks good to me.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:54 AM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

Quick mock up while waiting for some parts.

Nick, did you have to trim the Aluminium housing to match the backing plate openings?

Old 06-12-2016, 07:59 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Quick mock up while waiting for some parts.

Nick, did you have to trim the Aluminium housing to match the backing plate openings?

No, the only thing that passes through there is the plug for the lamps so no real need to align them.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:12 AM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

Trial fitting:

I guess because of my late car with plastic bumpers, I will need to trim the buckets to sit on the Nose Steel reinforcing plate!?

Old 06-18-2016, 03:29 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Trial fitting:

I guess because of my late car with plastic bumpers, I will need to trim the buckets to sit on the Nose Steel reinforcing plate!?

Yes, the buckets need to be trimmed. You can use the slotted holes on the other end as a guide as they should line up with the factory holes for the stock headlight surrounds.

Get notified of new replies

To FIA/L88 headlight kit assembly instructions needed

Old 06-30-2016, 04:46 PM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

Coming along nicely.

Aluminium buckets required quit a bit of trimming to make them fit.
Lights holders trimmed as well and all mocked up.

One addition will be white parking light as required in the Europe.

Really pleased with the progress.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:16 AM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

Hey Guys,

Almost finished just the lights covers.

How did you fix the covers to the bodywork?

Can you post a close up pic of the fasteners, and how far is the hole from the hood edge?

Also, this may sound stupid, but I rather aske.
Where should the holes for the covers go through:
A

Or
B

Last edited by C3Paul; 07-23-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:59 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

You can use a couple of ways to mount them..1) a stainless piano hinge in front, drill your own holes at whatever spacing you like or 2) just take a piece of right angle aluminum and mount that to the nose (between the bumper and the front of the headlight opening)so the plexi cover slides under it.

fastening at the back is simple..2 holes and go to a hardware store and get some 1/4" aluminum rivet nuts - http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rivet-nuts/=13h8q8k
you just drill through the fiberglass, install these and use a stainless nut/washer to hold them in place.

Just be careful drilling the lenses, they are thin and crack easily. always drill with wood behind and if you can find them there are special drill bits for plastics (the tip of the drill has a much greater cutting angle)

cheers
Nick

Quick Reply: FIA/L88 headlight kit assembly instructions needed