C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making carbon fiber interior parts maybe exterior wondering if anyone has tried this

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:37 PM
Averystingray75
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Making carbon fiber interior parts maybe exterior wondering if anyone has tried this

So I have been thinking/ planning on replacing my interior parts with pure 100% carbon fiber. Starting with my dash because it's in rough shape and a new one is over 300$ I also want to do the door panels, guage cluster and center console.
Has anyone tried making completely new parts from carbon fiber like this?
I'm going to use the exsisting parts as molds for my molds then clean the master mold up with bondo/sanding painting to make a glass smoothe ready to go mold (or multiple is it requires it)
I want 100% carbon fiber pannels no cheap stickers or tape or fake crap. But I might mix some fiberglass layers to reduce overall cost.
This is not completely about weight saving as obviously I could ditch the panels alltpgether if I cares that much.

The goal is durable, lighter, unique interior that is still stock configuration

Has anoyone tried this?

If I make all the molds would there be any other corvette guys out the that want interior pannels made from carbon fiber?
Just wondering what everyone thinks.
Eventually I want to replace my door skins, hood and maybe more but I'm starting with basic things and keeping $ down
Old 06-23-2016, 07:23 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Averystingray75
So I have been thinking/ planning on replacing my interior parts with pure 100% carbon fiber. Starting with my dash because it's in rough shape and a new one is over 300$ I also want to do the door panels, guage cluster and center console.
Has anyone tried making completely new parts from carbon fiber like this?
I'm going to use the exsisting parts as molds for my molds then clean the master mold up with bondo/sanding painting to make a glass smoothe ready to go mold (or multiple is it requires it)
I want 100% carbon fiber pannels no cheap stickers or tape or fake crap. But I might mix some fiberglass layers to reduce overall cost.
This is not completely about weight saving as obviously I could ditch the panels alltpgether if I cares that much.

The goal is durable, lighter, unique interior that is still stock configuration

Has anoyone tried this?

If I make all the molds would there be any other corvette guys out the that want interior pannels made from carbon fiber?
Just wondering what everyone thinks.
Eventually I want to replace my door skins, hood and maybe more but I'm starting with basic things and keeping $ down
They don't let Non supporting vendors gauge interest in stuff but there is a fellow on here that has a lot of carbon fiber in his build, I cant recall his screen name but you could do a search for "carbon fiber"

You have to vacuum bag carbon fiber but the idea sounds pretty sweet.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES..I have done this.

The amount of time in 'tooling' and getting your MASTER MOLD ready for making the parts is where the cost generally goes. And sometimes you may find you might have to re-tool and make another mold.

Nothing is worse than 'thinking' that your mold is RIGHT..and then when you laminate up a part...then you find that it is not right and it is then cut and modified..and THEN another mold is pulled off of it.

Depending on how rigid you want your part will depend on the layers you apply in the mold when it is being laid up.

You might find that you may also need to vacuum bag your part to get all the air out....because...the FIRST piece of carbon fiber is SO IMPORTANT in how it is cut and laid in the part. AND knowing that you can not see what is going on where this first layer is going into your mold...you can have an air bubble that can cause for GRIEF when you pull the part....or even fine micro bubbles that ruin the look.

There is A LOT to contend with..and depending if you are going to deal with the areas behind the panel that hold other parts after it is laid up will be up to you.

So..if anything I can advise...is make your molds and parts in polyester resin and fiberglass so you can work out all the particulars and then when you have it all figured out...then produce them in carbon fiber....OR....

Make them out of fiberglass and then when you get them right...wrap them in carbon fiber and resin..and keep applying the resin to get the finish thick and able to be sanded and to the level of perfection you envision.

DUB
The following 2 users liked this post by DUB:
Aggitated Monkey (06-26-2016), Averystingray75 (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 08:00 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
YES..I have done this.

The amount of time in 'tooling' and getting your MASTER MOLD ready for making the parts is where the cost generally goes. And sometimes you may find you might have to re-tool and make another mold.

Nothing is worse than 'thinking' that your mold is RIGHT..and then when you laminate up a part...then you find that it is not right and it is then cut and modified..and THEN another mold is pulled off of it.

Depending on how rigid you want your part will depend on the layers you apply in the mold when it is being laid up.

You might find that you may also need to vacuum bag your part to get all the air out....because...the FIRST piece of carbon fiber is SO IMPORTANT in how it is cut and laid in the part. AND knowing that you can not see what is going on where this first layer is going into your mold...you can have an air bubble that can cause for GRIEF when you pull the part....or even fine micro bubbles that ruin the look.

There is A LOT to contend with..and depending if you are going to deal with the areas behind the panel that hold other parts after it is laid up will be up to you.

So..if anything I can advise...is make your molds and parts in polyester resin and fiberglass so you can work out all the particulars and then when you have it all figured out...then produce them in carbon fiber....OR....

Make them out of fiberglass and then when you get them right...wrap them in carbon fiber and resin..and keep applying the resin to get the finish thick and able to be sanded and to the level of perfection you envision.

DUB
Very sweet, could you please post some pictures of the custom/carbon fiber interior/dash/consoles you have made I would love to add them to my custom folder....
Old 06-23-2016, 08:49 PM
Averystingray75
Instructor

I plan to make all molds out of fiberglass. I plan on then making final
Product 5 layers of 3k 2x2 carbon fiber.
Not really planning on doing vacuum method so...
Is it a MUST? If there's not a good way around it then I will invest.
I'm asking anyone and everyone : I have to invest in$$ for the molds that's just a given. But after I make My own parts I will still have the molds left over and am thinking about making more and then selling them because why not? But if there's no one out there interested I would save the molds, maybe advertise but ultimately do nothing if no one else but me wants a total carbon fiber interior

Last edited by Averystingray75; 06-23-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:55 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

I plan to make all molds out of fiberglass. I plan on then making final
I'm asking anyone and everyone : I have to invest in$$ for the molds that's just a given. But after I make My own parts I will still have the molds left over and am thinking about making more and then selling them because why not? But if there's no one out there interested I would save the molds, maybe advertise but ultimately do nothing if no one else but me wants a total carbon fiber interior
bagging just gets more air out,

There would be more people interested in 69-76 interior stuff than 78-82
Old 06-23-2016, 09:08 PM
Averystingray75
Instructor

That's good to know because mine is '75 so parts would mostly comparable 69-76
Old 06-23-2016, 09:15 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

That's good to know because mine is '75 so parts would mostly comparable 69-76
in general people like the early dash stuff better than the plastic fantastic 78-82 stuff and the early gauge holes are round so that is better too,
I love the key in the dash of the 68 one year only and 77 I believe has some one year only stuff,
A custom dash would fit all 68-82 just some years need more modding than others,
Old 06-23-2016, 09:33 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Like Dub said-

Carbon fiber is not near as flexible as fiberglass. Getting the weave straight- and to lay down is a chore plus it sets up slowly. You really need to bag it.

I'm doing a custom dash/doors/interior and using fiberglass covered w/ leather... It takes a tremendous amount of time.

I say go for it!!!

few pieces I made up -

Valve covers and center cover- notice the weave is not as straight as I wanted it-

Heat shield-

Old 06-23-2016, 09:34 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

lol Richard I was just thinking about your build, told the cat in messenger about you...
Old 06-24-2016, 10:56 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I have done a bunch of stuff on mine in carbon fiber, fender vents, rear spoiler, diffuser, brake ducts, rocker covers, door panels, dash, center console, hood and one piece roof.
Making the mold is time consuming (though not that expensive) however quality CF weave is expensive as is good quality epoxy resin (I don't like the poly stuff).
If you want to leave the carbon fiber bare then you have to make the mold spot on as you cant "fix it" once it comes out, so the risk of imperfect parts is high.
Attached Images    
The following 2 users liked this post by lvrpool32:
Averystingray75 (06-25-2016), brent319 (06-25-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 06:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

I plan to make all molds out of fiberglass.
And If I were you...I would use polyester resin in making the molds and make sure you 'egg crate' them well so your mold does not move. The reason I would use polyester resin is IF I am making the carbon fiber parts and using an epoxy resin....the polyester gelcoat of your mold and the epoxy resin really do not like to bond to one another. Not that you have to...but using tooling resin is also something that I prefer when creating my molds.

I plan on then making final
MAN!!! that parts is going to be stout! Do as you like...AND that is not me giving you permission to do what you wan to do....but I might perform some tests and laminate up the carbon fiber material and use fiberglass mat and cloth and see how stout each of them get. Because if I can create a part that is so bullet proof and NOT having to use exclusively carbon fiber throughout....I would do so.

Test and see what results you get..and then make that determination. I myself ..I would.

You can make a quick 'splash mold' that will work for a few parts and then possibly fall apart....or you can REALLY make a mold that can allow you to pull 100 parts off of it before you have to re-tool and make another mold. When I made parts that I knew I was going to sell...the first part out of the mold was saved...so when I had to re-tool and make another mold....I KNEW that mold would be just like the first part off my first master mold.

Think about of it this way (if you care to do so)...a lot of it may have to do with your price point IF you sell these.....and how many people want that type of carbon fiber effect . Many people may say....."That's COOL!'' but they are not opening up their wallets to buy them. AND also...because you may make these and then they are out there for people to buy...you never know...you might get overrun with orders for people who want something DIFFERENT for their custom build.

I personally LOVE carbon fiber....and ...so far....all other types and attempts to reproduce it fail badly becasue I have yet to see a fake carbon fiber effect that can capture the glisten effect the fiber has when light hits it.

I am NOT trying to kill your MOJO...but you are embarking on a process that will test your PATIENCE and ATTENTION to DETAIL. Having that POSITIVE ATTITUDE going into this is your best asset. Just my opinion on that. Getting the fabric JUST RIGHT...MAN...that is going to be a challenge in the dynamics of the part and how the fabric will flow on all curves, etc.

And SORRY...I am not the type...not 'saying' that there is anything wrong with it...but for me...I choose to keep my creations I make personal for me and the owner of the car I am making them for. In many cases due to them being 'one-offs' where the owner is paying for all tooling and materials...there is a confidentially clause signed. It is up to the owner to post photos if they choose. And in a couple cases..and one here I know of on the forum where he posted his project and his idea got gobbled up by a large manufacture and now they took his idea and are making parts as far as I know.

Not that it matters..but I am here for you if you feel you are needing support....because you seem to 'hit a wall' and your head is getting in the way and you need a different perspective. TRUST ME....I have people I can 'bounce' ideas off of when I allow my head to over analyze the problem I have at hand.

Richard454....AS always....and how I have told you several times...I LOVE how you are taking your project to the 'next level'!!!

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Averystingray75 (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 12:45 PM
Averystingray75
Instructor

Originally Posted by lvrpool32
I have done a bunch of stuff on mine in carbon fiber, fender vents, rear spoiler, diffuser, brake ducts, rocker covers, door panels, dash, center console, hood and one piece roof.
Making the mold is time consuming (though not that expensive) however quality CF weave is expensive as is good quality epoxy resin (I don't like the poly stuff).
If you want to leave the carbon fiber bare then you have to make the mold spot on as you cant "fix it" once it comes out, so the risk of imperfect parts is high.
Ok I've gotta see the door panels! Pics?

That hood looks amazing! Totally custom or did you take exsisting and modify?

That's the type of stuff that inspires me! I appreciate the pictures and respect your hard work it's really paid off.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:59 PM
Averystingray75
Instructor

DUB- thank you for all your information
Really helping me right now I'm forming new decisions on my process. Think I'll take your advice and drop a layer or two of CF and add some fiberglass.
I might not ever sell a single custom piece. My "standards" are pretty low in the big picture. I'm fine with bubbles and wavy weave and all sorts of things. Knowing I did something myself is the most important thing to me.
Worst case I'd clear coat and buff pieces to my own standard. Just looking at semi-perfect Custom carbon fiber interior that I did myself would be enough satisfaction. I'm sure if my molds are bad and skill is bad, I would never reproduce- partake or sell. I would only sell to make up initial startup $$ and just for fun and enjoyment in the corvette community.

I could care less if some Big corporation took my ideas. Maybe then the next jr. Corvette lover would enjoy the things that I don't have. Anything to advance the C3 corvette scene and keep it alive for years to come is ok with me.

I was gifted with increadible PATIENCE I'm really good with my hands and eye-detail so as far as those go I'm Not worried. Every day I learn new skills and have a natural gift at most hands-on things. But I do my research first sometimes for months getting every last detail before I attempt things of large scale.

Last edited by Averystingray75; 06-25-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:27 PM
Danny.reamer
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know much about carbon fiber but if you aren't to concerned about weight why not just fill in the fracks with some kind of resin and then just carbon fiber over the original. Once it's said and done it would be a lot less time and money in molds and fiberglass and in the end no one would know it's still the original dash.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:44 PM
Averystingray75
Instructor

Originally Posted by Danny.reamer
I don't know much about carbon fiber but if you aren't to concerned about weight why not just fill in the fracks with some kind of resin and then just carbon fiber over the original. Once it's said and done it would be a lot less time and money in molds and fiberglass and in the end no one would know it's still the original dash.

It's just personal I couldn't live with myself not doing completely new all 100% carbon fiber it's just so I could sleep at night.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:19 PM
CarCrazyBen
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carbn Fiber interior parts

I have a '79 and I would be interested in the transmission tunnel panels in carbon fiber.

Thank you for tackling this project and let me know if/when you proceed!

Get notified of new replies

To Making carbon fiber interior parts maybe exterior wondering if anyone has tried this

Old 06-25-2016, 05:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Danny.reamer
Applying a layer of carbon fiber or even another layer if actual vinyl on some interior pieces will make them EXTREMELY hard to get parts to attach back in them...or fit together correctly due to the added layer can throw off angles on how parts come together.

The A/C vent ***** and gauges can NOW almost be impossible to get to go back in and still be functional. It seems like a good idea ...but on the back end of the modification is where all these 'little things' will come back and haunt you.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Aggitated Monkey (06-26-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 08:59 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

dub,
thanks for being cool on the picture request thing,

I assure you I wasn't trying to cause any furor, like most people when I hear about something cool the mind engages and being human I desire to see pictures, and no doubt your stuff is sweet.

I admit I do not really understand your desire to keep your creations private, people like to show others what they made I see shops use portfolios to gain business and show abilities but as a fellow artist we all have our eccentricities and I respect yours on this,

again thanks for being cool,

Last edited by The13Bats; 06-25-2016 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:40 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by The13Bats

I admit I do not really understand your desire to keep your creations private, people like to show others what they made I see shops use portfolios to gain business and show abilities but as a fellow artist we all have our eccentricities and I respect yours on this,

again thanks for being cool,
MAN...you hit the 'nail on the head' with that one...'eccentricities'.

I have moved way past having to gain acceptance in what other people think of what I do for a living or what I create. In the past...THAT was entirely another thing.

There are a select few people whose I can show my creations to and 'bounce' ideas off of and not have to make it a global 'thing'. This is because they know me really well and know that even when the car is at a show...I try to fly under the radar as much as I can.

What I have come to realize is this. When I have a customer who spends the money in creating their Corvette in whatever manner they want. It is THEIR money and MY time that make this happen...so it is NOT all about me. Their creation would NOT have happened if they did not PAY me to do it. My TIME = their MONEY.

And the Corvettes I do get seen enough in my area that I do not need to do anything other than make sure my customers are satisfied with the repairs or service I provide. I already have a huge back log.

DUB

Quick Reply: Making carbon fiber interior parts maybe exterior wondering if anyone has tried this