C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1977 C3 overflow tank question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 07:20 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1977 C3 overflow tank question

I thought my overflow tank was leaking so I pulled it. I filled it with water and capped the top hole and put air pressure into inlet by neck. No leaks. My radiator overflow hose connects to the small inlet next to
The overflow tank neck. What is the molded hole line on top of the tank for? It looks like it could connect to something? Is it a relief? I think that top mounded hole is why my overflow never holds antifreeze and why the radiatior is where it is. I looked in the assembly manual and it shows a hose from radiator to a 2 hole type cap on overflow tank to top of overflow tank and one hose leading off of the overflow tank like an overflow leader. But I have a plain cap, the molded hole on top overflow goes to tank top and the one next to tank neck goes to overflow tank bottom. Bubba put a hose from radiator neck overflow tube to overflow tank hole by neck that goes to overflow bottom. I would like this correct on my car. Can someone tell me how theirs is? Help!
Thanks
Jax
1977 L-82

Last edited by xkeots; 07-06-2016 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Spelling/correction
Old 07-06-2016, 07:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Posting a photo of yours would help.

I do know that there are two designs,

The first design has a cap that has two ports on it so one goes to the radiator area and the other is for overflow. The later design...the overflow comes out the cap if I am not mistaken.

So I am a bit confused by what you are describing.

DUB
Old 07-06-2016, 08:52 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
Posting a photo of yours would help.

I do know that there are two designs,

The first design has a cap that has two ports on it so one goes to the radiator area and the other is for overflow. The later design...the overflow comes out the cap if I am not mistaken.

So I am a bit confused by what you are describing.

DUB
Dub,

How are you? How have you been? How is N Carolina treating ya? Shop busy?
How do I post a picture here?
I have the overflow tank with a molded tube on the tank top a single cap and next to cap is a tube with a copper colored metal inside the tube. Bubba connected the radiator overflow to that.
Thanks
Jax

PS: same car I have been building piece by piece In between other cars to change the pace. Finally almost done after all these years. Has always been drive able.

Last edited by xkeots; 07-06-2016 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Explanation
Old 07-06-2016, 09:24 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

I got it!!!!
The pucture is there, anyone know correct hose method?
Thanks
Jax
77 L-82

Last edited by xkeots; 07-07-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

YES...you do not put a hose on the tube that is on the TOP of your reservoir.

You connect the hose from the radiator to the tube that has the brass inner sleeve in it.

DUB
Old 07-07-2016, 08:09 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...you do not put a hose on the tube that is on the TOP of your reservoir.

You connect the hose from the radiator to the tube that has the brass inner sleeve in it.

DUB
Thanks DUB!
It has been like that, I pressure checked the overflow tank and no leaks. I keep loosing anti freeze. If the overflow stays empty and radiator full it stays like that. But if I fill to line on overflow the anti freeze leaves the tank. I am stumped.
I just spent the day doing a system clean back and forth. Water was clear.
Jax
Old 07-08-2016, 06:04 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by xkeots
Thanks DUB!
It has been like that, I pressure checked the overflow tank and no leaks. I keep loosing anti freeze. If the overflow stays empty and radiator full it stays like that. But if I fill to line on overflow the anti freeze leaves the tank. I am stumped.
I just spent the day doing a system clean back and forth. Water was clear.
Jax
My pick up truck does the same thing. I know the coolant system holds pressure when I test it and it does not leak coolant anywhere....and when I add coolant in the overflow tank...in time.... it is gone....and I know that the hose from the radiator to the overflow tank is good and connections are tight.....and I honestly do not give it a thought. My truck does not run hot..I am not leavign coolant on the ground..and it is my truck and I really do not give crap to spend time trying to figure out this puzzle...at this time...when it is HOT as heck here.

In the fall I may get out there with my coolant pressure tester and soap water and mist down all connections and see if I see bubbles anywhere.

Way I look at it..it gives me a reason to raise the hood weekly and do inspections on stuff.

DUB
Old 07-09-2016, 12:40 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
My pick up truck does the same thing. I know the coolant system holds pressure when I test it and it does not leak coolant anywhere....and when I add coolant in the overflow tank...in time.... it is gone....and I know that the hose from the radiator to the overflow tank is good and connections are tight.....and I honestly do not give it a thought. My truck does not run hot..I am not leavign coolant on the ground..and it is my truck and I really do not give crap to spend time trying to figure out this puzzle...at this time...when it is HOT as heck here.

In the fall I may get out there with my coolant pressure tester and soap water and mist down all connections and see if I see bubbles anywhere.

Way I look at it..it gives me a reason to raise the hood weekly and do inspections on stuff.

DUB
It's just strange since I pulled the overflow tank, half filled with water, capped the top hole that goes to inner overflow tank top and put in about 10-15lbs air pressure in hole that leads to overflow bottom with copper inside. I had no air or water leaks. The hose from radiator runoff to overflow tank is new, no leaks. Radiator no leaks but when temp gauge reads 190 and I am driving, when I get home the overflow tank is empty. Radiator full to about 1/4 inch below neck. I can drive it like that in 90 degrees all day long. I am stumped.
Thanks
Jack

Last edited by xkeots; 07-09-2016 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Omitted word
Old 07-09-2016, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

I am trying to follow what you wrote.

if you put coolant mix in the overflow tank to about half way...and KNOWING that the hose is good and the tank does not leak.

When you go and drive it...and get it to 190 degrees Fahrenheit....and come home and pop the hood and there is NO coolant mix in the tank...something is wrong for sure.
i assume that you have a 15psi CLOSED SYSTEM radiator cap on our radiator also.

Because...if anything...the radiator should puke coolant into the tank and not suck it in because the system is hot and under pressure. The coolant mix will get drawn back into the radiator when teh system cools down...which is why the hose form the radiator to the over flow tank is good.

DUB
Old 07-10-2016, 12:11 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
I am trying to follow what you wrote.

if you put coolant mix in the overflow tank to about half way...and KNOWING that the hose is good and the tank does not leak.

When you go and drive it...and get it to 190 degrees Fahrenheit....and come home and pop the hood and there is NO coolant mix in the tank...something is wrong for sure.
i assume that you have a 15psi CLOSED SYSTEM radiator cap on our radiator also.

Because...if anything...the radiator should puke coolant into the tank and not suck it in because the system is hot and under pressure. The coolant mix will get drawn back into the radiator when teh system cools down...which is why the hose form the radiator to the over flow tank is good.

DUB
Everything is as you just said. I get home to an empty tank. No matter how many times I fill to hot or cold line it comes home after a drive empty but the radiator is always full. I just for the heck of it put a new 16 lb cap on. I also did a radiator /system flush on Thursday. I also replaced the intake manifold and valve cover gaskets last week and put a new clamp on low pressure side of power steering. I found bubba used only silicone under intake manifold on all 4 sides. All my leaks stopped. But I had the overflow problem pre all this work and still have it. I am running a solid 190 all day in 30 or in 90 degrees. But reserve tank stays empty.

Last edited by xkeots; 07-10-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Try this...just for the heck of it.

Using 2 liter bottle of soda that is empty...strap it in the car...put water in it and stick the hose from the radiator in it and drive the car and see what happens.

Are you using ONLY water??? or are you actually putting a 50/50 mix in the overflow.???

If this is too much of a hassle..I understand.

MAKE SURE that your radiator cap is a CLOSED SYSTEM CAP. I would assume that it is..but I have to ask to make sure.

DUB
Old 07-13-2016, 09:39 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
Try this...just for the heck of it.

Using 2 liter bottle of soda that is empty...strap it in the car...put water in it and stick the hose from the radiator in it and drive the car and see what happens.

Are you using ONLY water??? or are you actually putting a 50/50 mix in the overflow.???

If this is too much of a hassle..I understand.

MAKE SURE that your radiator cap is a CLOSED SYSTEM CAP. I would assume that it is..but I have to ask to make sure.

DUB
Hey DUB!

You should know me better. After the flushing it must be 60 green/40 water with a new 16lb closed cap.
Thanx
Jax
77 L-82
Old 07-14-2016, 06:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Hey DUB!

You should know me better. After the flushing it must be 60 green/40 water with a new 16lb closed cap.
Thanx
Jax
77 L-82

I always find that I have to ask..sorry about that..

DUB
Old 07-31-2016, 01:47 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB

I always find that I have to ask..sorry about that..

DUB
Dub,

I rerouted the hose, still coming up empty after a drive. I am scratching my head. But the radiator stays full.
Thanx
Jax
77 L-82
Old 07-31-2016, 03:35 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Only thing I see is you have a leak somewhere, and the bottle is getting emptied back thru the leak.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:53 AM
jimbo8125
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

head gasket leaking?
Old 08-03-2016, 12:12 PM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimbo8125
head gasket leaking?
No leaks. The fluid stays to the top of radiator and doesn't go down from there. If I fill overflow to full it empties but radiator always stays full. No leaks in overflow tank or hose connecting the two. I am stumped. Compression and leak down fine, head gaskets nonissue.
Jax
77 L-82
Old 08-14-2016, 11:45 AM
xkeots
Burning Brakes

No leaks. The fluid stays to the top of radiator and doesn't go down from there. If I fill overflow to full it empties but radiator always stays full. No leaks in overflow tank or hose connecting the two. I am stumped. Compression and leak down fine, head gaskets nonissue.
Jax
77 L-82
I have to ask. If the expansion tank empties, but the radiator stays full and temp gauge is at 190 as the thermostat, can I just say F#%k it and leave it?
Thanks
Jax
1977 L-82

Get notified of new replies

To 1977 C3 overflow tank question

Quick Reply: 1977 C3 overflow tank question