C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bee Jay's throttle linkeage mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 12:47 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Default Bee Jay's throttle linkeage mod

Here is a mod that really works.
I built this 383 engine this past winter. The good thing about this monster, is that it makes tremendous torque and horsepower right off of idle. The bad thing is, it makes tremendous torque and power right off of idle. It takes very little throttle to burn rubber and launch like a drag race. This is no fun when just cruising. The throttle is an on off switch. The original carb was a Quadrajet, and you would have to put the throttle half way down before the secondaries would even start opening. Not so with this Holley 4Di fuel injection. The secondaries are not progressive and all four blades start opening all at once. My friend, Wild Gill, built this bracket for me that moves the throttle cable mount point 14 mm up and 10 mm back, slowing the throttle action significantly. What a difference! I have more control over the throttle now and can enjoy this monster engine. The car is much more enjoyable to drive, and I can modulate right up to traction loss, or I can mash it and burn.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:45 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Hey that's a cool idea! Thx for posting.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:49 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

With the throttle cable moved upwards and a longer throw or further away from the pivot point, do you still get full opening with the pedal on the floor? Looks nice!
Old 07-14-2016, 12:04 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Nice part fabrication!

I noticed that your temp sender is on the side of your AFR head right next to the header flange. Like mine used to be. I thought mine read artificially high.........................

silly me i see that you moved it in the bottom picture to your tall manifold filler housing

I don't think that I am pit crewing this year at the Rolex Laguna Seca event unless things change. Intrepid just brings about 6-7 cars these years and the boss sold his Lola t286.

http://tech-racingcars.wikidot.com/lola-t286
Old 07-14-2016, 02:15 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
With the throttle cable moved upwards and a longer throw or further away from the pivot point, do you still get full opening with the pedal on the floor? Looks nice!
Yep, full throttle is still there.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:18 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gkull
Nice part fabrication!

I noticed that your temp sender is on the side of your AFR head right next to the header flange. Like mine used to be. I thought mine read artificially high.........................

silly me i see that you moved it in the bottom picture to your tall manifold filler housing

I don't think that I am pit crewing this year at the Rolex Laguna Seca event unless things change. Intrepid just brings about 6-7 cars these years and the boss sold his Lola t286.

http://tech-racingcars.wikidot.com/lola-t286
Damn, that's the only time I see you anymore. Maybe it's time for another north meets south stingray cruise. I can make my road kill chilli.
That sensor is just for turning on the fans. I've since grounded the wire so that the fans are on anytime the ignition is on. I was really worried about this 383 beast overheating.

Last edited by Bee Jay; 07-14-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:58 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Hahaha, what a great problem to have!

Glad this the terrible problem of having too much power got solved; hope to have such a problem myself in the future. ;-)

Adam

Get notified of new replies

To Bee Jay's throttle linkeage mod

Quick Reply: Bee Jay's throttle linkeage mod