C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body off??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 04:51 PM
Dstagg
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body off??

Okay, so I have a lot of clean-up and fiberglass panel repairs to do under the hood of my 69 due to a serious engine fire by the previous owner.
Question is: how difficult will it be to get all the body lines to match up if I take the body off-frame to do the panel repairs?
Or should I plan to make the repairs with the body on the frame?

I'm hoping someone has some experience with R&R of body to frame that they can share. (Kind of like an out-of-body experience I suppose!)

Panels that need to be repaired/replaced are:
  • left upper front fender
  • left inside fender well and hood surround
  • firewall and rear hood surround
It sure would be a lot easier to get to all the nooks and crannies to pressure wash off all the residual smoke and soot if the body was detached.

Pic attached
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2016, 05:07 PM
Dstagg
Cruising

Originally Posted by Dstagg
Okay, so I have a lot of clean-up and fiberglass panel repairs to do under the hood of my 69 due to a serious engine fire by the previous owner.
Question is: how difficult will it be to get all the body lines to match up if I take the body off-frame to do the panel repairs?
Or should I plan to make the repairs with the body on the frame?

I'm hoping someone has some experience with R&R of body to frame that they can share. (Kind of like an out-of-body experience I suppose!)

Panels that need to be repaired/replaced are:
  • left upper front fender
  • left inside fender well and hood surround
  • firewall and rear hood surround
It sure would be a lot easier to get to all the nooks and crannies to pressure wash off all the residual smoke and soot if the body was detached.

Pic attached

Supplemental:
Updated photo shows the specific areas of panel repair. I'd like to think that since I'm not separating the fender seams or entire firewall for example that it would be pretty safe to perform the sectioned panel repairs off frame and that it will all line-up once reattached to the frame.
(But that said, I don't want to find out the hard way if I can avoid it!)

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
vette body 01.pdf (962.2 KB, 85 views)
Old 07-15-2016, 07:55 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I have some experience with burnt cars.
I would pull the front clip, make body repairs, then reattach the front clip.
Removing the body leads to a full frame off restoration, and
you want the body on the frame to reattch the front clip.
It is the only way to ensure you have the front clip square before you glue everything together.

Before, requiring all fiberglass to be replaced.

After ....much better !
Old 07-15-2016, 09:21 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I agree, you're going to want to remove the front clip. To repair or replace the firewall correctly, the front clip will need to be removed. It will also probably be the most efficient way to do it.

If you have access to a body cart, you can remove the body and attach it to the cart before removing the front clip.

Once the body is properly supported on the cart, it will be as if it were still on the frame and provide tremendous access to the body as well. Eastwood is selling this cart (AutoTwirler Body Cart Pro) for $900 and currently offering a 10% discount as well. When you're done with it you can sell it off for just about what it cost you.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 07-15-2016, 09:32 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

more pictures showing Firewall removal for reference, this is a major job,
if you require replacing the firewall.

The following users liked this post:
GUSTO14 (07-16-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 10:45 PM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Not trying to be mean here at all, but have you thought about just finding another body? It would be a lot cheaper, and easier in the long run. Or don't repair the clip, just buy a complete new one, and install it.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:03 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Vett
more pictures showing Firewall removal for reference, this is a major job,
if you require replacing the firewall.

Great pictures that really demonstrate just how involved a firewall repair can be. Of course it also demonstrates how much easier repairs to the forward part of the birdcage can be at that point as well... if needed.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 07-16-2016, 08:31 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Default 69 vette

I would agree with all the above. Removing the body and front clip are jobs that would require a certain amount of patience, knowledge and some creative tools. Especially for the clip removal. Originality is leaving the clip you have, if not try to remove the clip without damaging it. Buy new one if you want. Either way its a lot of work and time to get it right. Do you have the skill sets, time, and patience to keep fitting the clip, getting things aligned and also removing the body and making all the unforeseen

issues that may arise. It is a very rewarding process once completed. Go for it if you meet all the requirements needed to do so.

So like I said, alot of work to get it right, time and patience. Many of us on the forum have done this work and it can be done. Many of us like me NEVER did any of this type work and the forum is here to help. Good luck.................................... .....
RVZIO
Old 07-17-2016, 06:32 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by rvzio
Many of us on the forum have done this work and it can be done. Many of us like me NEVER did any of this type work and the forum is here to help.
Your pictures give me "day-jah-voo" I bought a car with a broken front clip, had to remove it, and put another one on from another car. I fitted mine THREE times before I was satisfied, and finally put the glue on.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:36 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgto
Your pictures give me "day-jah-voo" I bought a car with a broken front clip, had to remove it, and put another one on from another car. I fitted mine THREE times before I was satisfied, and finally put the glue on.
It is a nerve racking process, especially when it's time to apply the adhesive. We all get it done some how though....................
RVZIO
Old 07-17-2016, 10:58 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

wow thats digging pretty deep into a car taking the clip firewall out etc
must have good ability patience or only one rope to climb out of that one that is a LOT of work and has to be just right for eveything else to go together the way it should
Old 07-18-2016, 06:48 PM
Dstagg
Cruising

Wow, I REALLY appreciate all the sound advice!
69Vette your after photo looks amazing based on the before photo!!!
I always knew this was going to be a major undertaking and this is definitely going to "raise the bar" for me, but I'm pretty confident that I can pull this off. Patience will be the key!
CenturyOld - I don't take any offense to your Q and yes I have considered buying a whole new front clip, but, I already purchased some good replacement fiberglass panel sections with which to repair what I have. I'm trying to keep the budget down and I'm all-in at about $350 for the panels (I'm obviously not counting my labor! LOL). I'm sure there will be more $$$ to spend before I'm out of the woods, but the money saved on a full clip could go a long way toward other items I will need.
So, since I'm not planning to go so far as a full frame off, I'm going to plan to R&R the front clip to do this thing right.
Thanks again everyone!
Old 07-18-2016, 07:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

My .02 cents worth.

Obviously you can do as you wish...but if what I see in your photo is a burnt up fire wall.

If your car were in my shop...I would either have to remove the engine and transmission and dash parts....or have to pull the body in order to service the firewall..and that depends on IF I could get away with trying to section it in.

And keep in mind I have to stop and think about guaranteeing what I do...so sometimes what I think may be a bit different due to NOT wanting to go back into it again and doing that for free.

As for the upper fender/top hood surround. this is the same thing. I do not section that panel because the simple fact that it can come back and show up. And I do not want to have to deal with that all over again.

DUB
Old 07-25-2016, 01:58 PM
Dstagg
Cruising

Thanks DUB.
I definitely don't want to do this more than once!
I fully intend to R&R the engine and trans as well as the dash to get to the firewall repair. (I also need to replace some of the vent ducts behind the dash and the interior wire harness so goes without saying).
I already have the repair panels and I have a plan for how to cut the sectioned piece for best support so I do not intend to remove the entire firewall, rather just repair it in place.
Should be interesting!!
Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To Body off??

Quick Reply: Body off??