C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Compressor help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 04:01 PM
Charleysnoop
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank You RModeler for jumping in on the thread, a lot of great information but still have not found the answer for me. Going back in the shop on Monday. Will let all know after.
Also thank you Jim I think if I hit the right question you probably have the answer as well as all the other replyers.
The following users liked this post:
Rmodeler (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 05:03 PM
Rmodeler
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Jim, I think I actually have two issues. The ac running when in the off position and the short cycling. Power to the ac when in the off position is whats puzzling me, the shop will take care of the short cycle when I take it back. They told me that they couldn't get it to shut off and thought I should trouble shoot that problem. Is there a micro switch in the electrical connection on the ac control head on the consol that cuts the power to the ac compressor when you put it in the off position before the power gets to the pressure switch or compressor control switch?
Old 07-19-2016, 10:14 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Rmodeler
Thanks Jim, I think I actually have two issues. The ac running when in the off position and the short cycling. Power to the ac when in the off position is whats puzzling me, the shop will take care of the short cycle when I take it back. They told me that they couldn't get it to shut off and thought I should trouble shoot that problem. Is there a micro switch in the electrical connection on the ac control head on the consol that cuts the power to the ac compressor when you put it in the off position before the power gets to the pressure switch or compressor control switch?
ASIDE from the on-off relay..SOMEONE said something about a compressor diode..Not sure what if that is YOUR A/C SHOP hopefully can figure that out..Jim
Rmodeler (07-19-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 09:10 PM
Rmodeler
Instructor

Update: Discovered Bubba was in my wiring for the compressor! Long story short, compressor was wired direct, bypassing the control. Hooked up the original wire and it turns off and on like its suppose to. Did their splice inside the wire harness under the hood, found it when I discovered tape that didn't look original, opened it up and there was the splice and the original wire cut off. Also adjust the heater control(thanks Hugy82) so it hits the vaccum switch to shut off heater water. Compressor works fine up to 1200 rpm, then starts to short cycle off/on. Hope the shop can take care of that when I take back to them.
jim in oregon (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 09:43 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rmodeler
Update: Discovered Bubba was in my wiring for the compressor! Long story short, compressor was wired direct, bypassing the control. Hooked up the original wire and it turns off and on like its suppose to. Did their splice inside the wire harness under the hood, found it when I discovered tape that didn't look original, opened it up and there was the splice and the original wire cut off. Also adjust the heater control(thanks Hugy82) so it hits the vaccum switch to shut off heater water. Compressor works fine up to 1200 rpm, then starts to short cycle off/on. Hope the shop can take care of that when I take back to them.
Sounds like you are on the way to 'wellville'.Keep us posted on the outcome if you will, Jim
Old 07-30-2016, 11:19 PM
Charleysnoop
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update on the AC problems on the 81. the shop now tells us there is a freon leak in the Suitcase against the firewall.???? Does anyone out there know what he is talking about.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:07 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Charleysnoop
Update on the AC problems on the 81. the shop now tells us there is a freon leak in the Suitcase against the firewall.???? Does anyone out there know what he is talking about.
Sounds like he is referring to the evaporator.
If it's leaking freon it needs to be repaired. Or if you're game you could try a stop leak type product.

https://jet.com/product/detail/996ac...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 07-31-2016, 11:28 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Charleysnoop
SHUCKS! You should simply call-ASK them what that refers to..suitcase?
Freon only goes into so many components on your A/C system...The only thing against the firewall is the heaterbox..and the Evaporator..NO freon goes into the heater blower unit..ASK THEM TO ELABORATE AND WHAT IT''LL entail fixing it..;0Jim
Old 08-05-2016, 11:42 AM
Rmodeler
Instructor

Update: Got it back from shop today. Blowing cold air and everything seems to be working ok. Shop said to keep an eye on it and if it gives me any problems to bring it back. Thanks everyone for the help.

Charley, did you get your problem taken care of or are you still searching?
jim in oregon (08-05-2016)

Quick Reply: AC Compressor help