C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight opens low

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 11:49 AM
LongRoadHome
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default headlight opens low

This is on my 1977 so not sure if all C3 cars are exactly alike or not.

Using angle grinder with metal cutting wheel I filed down part of the headlight mechanism after trying to find a way to raise headlight enough to remove its bezel.

I removed turn signal grille to get better access.

The stop bolt on the end of the bar mounted on side of headlight assembly wasn't making contact, so I knew it wasn't the reason the headlight wasn't going higher.
I also removed the vacuum canister connecting rod to be sure it wasn't a factor.

Only thing that I could see preventing the headlight from continuing farther up was the pivoting angled bar which comes into contact with the vacuum canister rod pivot piece.

Picture (not mine, cropped from one found on 'net) shows exactly where that is, arrow pointing to the place they meet. I filed on both parts, mostly on the angled bar seen above arrow point. The flat landing for it being below that.

On my driver-side headlight this part does not make complete contact unless forced, and it actually goes a little higher than its surroundings. Passenger-side headlight was so far down still, when raised up, the bezel couldn't be pulled out if needing to replace headlight bulbs.

With this part filed down, maybe 1/32" or a millimeter, I could finally get the bezel off. Although it still wasn't upward enough to easily pull out so I had to push the headlight up from below to allow bezel to move forward and out. Was impossible before the metal bar was ground down some. Opening stop bolt never reached limit unless I pushed very hard, and was then only close and not fully contacting.

arrow points to place angled pivot bar touches flat surface and makes headlight impossible to raise higher when open. Adjusting bolt head for closed position can be seen under that. Vacuum canister rod connector is at bottom center and does not seem to affect open position if removed.

Anyone know if there is another way to adjust open height, or is this filing down of that part the only solution?
Old 07-20-2016, 02:15 PM
1970LS5
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On the outboard side of the headlight assembly frame is a stop bar that has an adjusting screw which is at the end of the bar towards the firewall. If you have the bezel removed you can see where it attaches to the frame and the look for the adjuster at the end of the bar. If I can find a photo I will post it.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:23 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

No reason to file anything down my friend. Look at the picture, and part E is the one to look for. Clearance for bezel clearance and headlight height is achieved by adjusting the mounting bolts through the SLOTTED holes. You will have to adjust the clevis (part H) when you do this.

The following users liked this post:
LongRoadHome (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 06:48 PM
LongRoadHome
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave J
part E is the one to look for. Clearance for bezel clearance and headlight height is achieved by adjusting the mounting bolts through the SLOTTED holes.
Ah ha! I didn't know that could be moved!
Got it all put back together for now so I'm going to do that later so I can get back to adjusting the headlight aim properly.

Thanks anyway 1970LS5, no need to put a picture here. Although thinking it over, might help someone else, realized it isn't in the exploded view diagram.
That stop adjustment was what I was saying didn't seem to cause anything to happen in this case. Has 1/8" space between it and place where it would prevent further raising of the headlight, so not touching anything right now.

Thanks!

Last edited by LongRoadHome; 07-20-2016 at 06:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To headlight opens low

Quick Reply: headlight opens low