C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Switch Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:58 AM
V4motorsports
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Ignition Switch Question

I am switching from a standard steering column to a tilt/telescoping column. I am currently in the process of rebuilding the tilt column.

Can I use the ignition switch from the standard column in the tilt column?

Thanks

Russ
Old 07-29-2016, 09:05 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

yes same switch.

my mistake... thank you Jim, I was wrong,
I did not realize the switches are different from T&T, and standard column.

Last edited by 69Vett; 07-29-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:03 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

First of all. There is an ignition lock cylinder and there is an ignition switch on a locking C3 Corvette column. They are two different parts.

The ignition lock cylinder is the part where you insert your key. It is the same part between a standard (non-adjustable) column and a T&T.

The ignition switch is mounted to the steering column jacket down under the dash structure. Difficult for the thief to hot wire and difficult to access the switch for service. The switches between the standard column and the T&T are NOT the same. They both mount on the steering column jacket but they operate in opposite directions. Therefore, two different switches.

One other tip. They operate in opposite directions (i.e. START function on the T&T switch is on the driver end of the switch; the START function on the standard column switch is down toward the engine direction.) So the two different switches have electrical contacts that are at opposite ends of the switch.

However, Corvettes have a common electrical harness. Therefore, when switching from one type steering column to the other, you will need to twist the two electrical connectors on the vehicle electrical harness 180 degrees.

Jim
The following users liked this post:
Kipring (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 11:42 AM
V4motorsports
Pro

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
First of all. There is an ignition lock cylinder and there is an ignition switch on a locking C3 Corvette column. They are two different parts.

The ignition lock cylinder is the part where you insert your key. It is the same part between a standard (non-adjustable) column and a T&T.

The ignition switch is mounted to the steering column jacket down under the dash structure. Difficult for the thief to hot wire and difficult to access the switch for service. The switches between the standard column and the T&T are NOT the same. They both mount on the steering column jacket but they operate in opposite directions. Therefore, two different switches.

One other tip. They operate in opposite directions (i.e. START function on the T&T switch is on the driver end of the switch; the START function on the standard column switch is down toward the engine direction.) So the two different switches have electrical contacts that are at opposite ends of the switch.

However, Corvettes have a common electrical harness. Therefore, when switching from one type steering column to the other, you will need to twist the two electrical connectors on the vehicle electrical harness 180 degrees.

Jim
Thanks Jim!!!!!

So I can still use my old key with the cylinder. I have the ignition switch from the tilt column, so I will use that but flip the harness 180 degrees.

THAT I didn't know!!!!!

Thanks so much for the help!!!!

Russ
Old 07-29-2016, 11:48 AM
V4motorsports
Pro

Before I go any further, just wonder if this looks right:

AND, where does this go???? #19 Turn Signal Lever Shield

Thanks

Russ

Get notified of new replies