C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 want start after radio replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:23 PM
svetter84
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 81 want start after radio replacement

Been a member since 2004, had an 84 for 10 years but now I bought a 1981 last week.
I replaced my radio today. Tried everything before I put everything back together, car started and radio worked. I did notice a slight glow from the battery light on dash while car was running thats never been there before. After everything was back together, radio still worked but now battery light has bright glow and no start at all. All I hear is relay behind passenger seat clicking. I did remove the battery cables completely during radio install. There had been an old amp in back that I took the extra positive and ground feeds off battery that was going to it. Reconnected battery terminals tightly. I did pull dash back apart to check connection behind cluster but all looked good. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:13 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

What power circuit did you tie the radio into?

Last edited by 7T1vette; 08-01-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:17 PM
svetter84
Advanced

There was a radio that was there already it would power up but not work. I tied it to the one they had tied to and used the ground they were already using also. I also unplugged the harness from the new radio after problem occurred and tried to start it and still no.

Last edited by svetter84; 08-01-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:09 PM
rastafford3164
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Do all the other electrics work when the key is in the accessory position, lights, wipers, etc? Is the theft deterrent system still operational? Mine was long gone when I got the car, but IIRC 81 was the first year for the ignition cut out on the theft deterrent. Your relays in the jack compartment are the antitheft relay, power antenna, and pulse wipers. If it isn't the antitheft, since the batter cables were loose during the radio install, I would check those cables esp going to the starter as well as the ground going from the battery to under the car. Depending on if the old radio wasn't on the radio circuit, may also need to check the fusible link off the starter to make sure it didn't blow when power was reconnected. And I am no guru. one of the guys with much more experience than me may chime in. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
svetter84 (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 02:30 PM
svetter84
Advanced

I know the key switch does power up and gauges power up, will check wipers tonight. The anti theft seems after market but does work and did go off when I reattached the battery cables and had to use fob to reset it. But thanks for the ideas to try tonight much appreciated!!! I also did want to know what the actually relays in the jack compartment controlled and you solved that one for me! I might need to just reset car with the fob again? Thanks again! Also does anyone know how to to bypass the alarm relay to check it?

Last edited by svetter84; 08-02-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:26 PM
Jamess411
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

So you disconnected the battery and the alarm was activated?? Did you ever use the alarm system before??? Sounds like many of the ones I have removed before…some how it got reset and not letting you start the car. If none of the fuses are blown and you hooked up the battery solid its got to be the alarm. What year is the car??? They probably tied into the starter wire coming off of the column…if you find where they spliced into it and reconnect the original wire the alarm will be bypassed.
svetter84 (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 06:52 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I would check all the fuses in the fuse box .then test for power to the starter.
svetter84 (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 09:07 PM
svetter84
Advanced

Jamess411 - 1981 vette,
Update: After getting home I reconnected both battery terminals and made sure they both were properly secure and cleaned like new. Of course alarm went off as soon as the positive was connected. Reset alarm with fob. Then I actually used the key in door, locked it, then unlocked to also reset alarm also. (I read to do that from another post) Got in car crank right up!! Thanks for everyone's help it was very much appreciated!! Was it just a bad ground from when I first put the battery terminals back on or was it the alarm? Dont know but after a couple of hours driving it and starting it several more times in garage it was one of them because its fine now! However I will be changing the alarm soon!!

Get notified of new replies

To 81 want start after radio replacement

Quick Reply: 81 want start after radio replacement