C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why can't i remove or cut the busings to lower the rear a little?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 06:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I have worked on kit cars ad fiberglass rod bodies that were off like 2" left to right yet from 15 feet away the eye couldn't see it, some Avengers from fiberfab are so bad on the rear that one has to just place the tail lights where they "look" right as if you place them measured they will look like marty feildman,

68-82 corvettes to me look okay with a hair of rake but jacked up they look ridiculous.

I was complementing a flared 69 at old town cruise once and the owner was kind of laughing at me, he said come-mer,

Takes me around back, the flares from the rear didn't match , at all, he said cars been like this 20 some odd years and counting....
I still look for roughly 1 inch of rear height more than the front.

All well and good and even though your experience is interesting...it does not apply to the Corvette in POST#22. Kit cars and custom flares are what they are. And so much depends on who is build it and who they are getting the body from and who is installing it,etc. Because having 2 inch difference...to me...it might as well be a mile.

I know I could pick that up...because I can see things that are a lot closer than that.

DUB
Old 08-21-2016, 06:59 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

i think i need a 1" drop, no more, still the 4 corners will not match.... the car is uneven
Old 08-21-2016, 09:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by slickfx3
i think i need a 1" drop, no more, still the 4 corners will not match.... the car is uneven
Do as you wish...but you do not want all four corners to be the same....while the car is sittign still. As mentioned before...the rear needs to be higher due to weight transfer when you leave a stop light. The rear squats and the car levels out.

If you question this or don't believe me??? this is EASY to prove,. Go out to your car....crank it up. Put your foot on the brake....put it in drive WHILE holding the brake pedal down....then press on the gas and see what happens when you do this. THE REAR SQUATS DOWN.

Call Vette Brakes and Products...who deals in Corvette suspensions and ASK them.. and see what they say.

DUB
Old 08-21-2016, 09:53 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DUB
Do as you wish...but you do not want all four corners to be the same....while the car is sittign still. As mentioned before...the rear needs to be higher due to weight transfer when you leave a stop light. The rear squats and the car levels out.

If you question this or don't believe me??? this is EASY to prove,. Go out to your car....crank it up. Put your foot on the brake....put it in drive WHILE holding the brake pedal down....then press on the gas and see what happens when you do this. THE REAR SQUATS DOWN.

Call Vette Brakes and Products...who deals in Corvette suspensions and ASK them.. and see what they say.

DUB
yes it does squat i noticed sir... and if i drop 1 inch , it is still higher than the front by an inch
Old 08-21-2016, 10:26 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

dub, go take a gander at pic 32 his car has a lot of air over the rear tire....

https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...justable-63-82
Old 08-22-2016, 08:45 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

A) The *** end is sitting high.

B) He can't remove a spring because he has a composite mono-leaf. He said that very early in the thread.

C) VB&P Part Number 32306 and 1 beer's worth of installation time would result in the end of this thread reading "WOW...she sits real pretty now!!!" accompanied by a picture of said car with the rear end sitting down over the tires.

Part Number 32306: 8" Spring Bolts and Poly Cushion Kit

A steal at $29.99. If it makes you feel better, you can even take the poly bushings to the belt sander and squeak another 1/4" out of the stuff if that is what she needs.

We could start a GoFundMe and if everyone in this thread contributes $0.28, we could be done in the next 6 months.

Last edited by keithinspace; 08-22-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

yes it does squat i noticed sir... and if i drop 1 inch , it is still higher than the front by an inch
Then at that setting you would be fine in my opinion. But getting it level on all four wheels is something I would not advise....as previously stated.

DUB
Old 08-22-2016, 06:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

dub, go take a gander at pic 32 his car has a lot of air over the rear tire....
I SAW that photo...and you may be confused in my response because the last sentence that appears in POST 34 ....where he achieved what he was looking for with 1/2 inch (.5 inch) difference...or something to that effect.

Then wanting to drop it another inch....which is why I responded how I did...due to something must have changed.

DUB
Old 08-22-2016, 08:02 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
I SAW that photo...and you may be confused in my response because the last sentence that appears in POST 34 ....where he achieved what he was looking for with 1/2 inch (.5 inch) difference...or something to that effect.

Then wanting to drop it another inch....which is why I responded how I did...due to something must have changed.

DUB
Aw man....you hit that nail on the head, I am all confused so if I am grasping it now, he thought he had it fixed but changed his mind...where do I send that 28 cents that bolt kit would solve all this.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:48 PM
slofut
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Man that's a badass looking vette from that angle! Are those gills stock on that year car? And I love the wheels ...and are those factory door mirrors?
And I haven't seen anyone mention that you don't want the car low enough to end up with the axles higher than parallel at the outside (wheel) ends. This would cause excessive angle under acceleration and adversely affect toe geometry. Correct?

Last edited by slofut; 08-22-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:51 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by slofut
Man that's a badass looking vette from that angle! Are those gills stock on that year car? And I love the wheels ...and are those factory door mirrors?
And I haven't seen anyone mention that you don't want the car low enough to end up with the axles higher than parallel at the outside (wheel) ends. This would cause excessive angle under acceleration and adversely affect toe geometry. Correct?
I agree his car is super sweet looking but on the tech side did you read all of dubs replies?
Old 08-23-2016, 08:29 AM
slofut
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree his car is super sweet looking but on the tech side did you read all of dubs replies?
Yep, read them. I wasn't implying that his car was too low or anything. More just a heads up so that if he got it where he wanted it and the axles were "v'd", maybe something else was wonky.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Aw man....you hit that nail on the head, I am all confused so if I am grasping it now, he thought he had it fixed but changed his mind...where do I send that 28 cents that bolt kit would solve all this.
You used the 'confused' icon in your reply...repeat...YOU used that icon...not me....so that is why I replied that way. I used that word. 'confused'...because you 'said' that you were 'confused' with that icon. I see nothing wrong with that...unless I am wrong again with you.

Where to send the money....who knows.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 08-23-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Yep, read them. I wasn't implying that his car was too low or anything. More just a heads up so that if he got it where he wanted it and the axles were "v'd", maybe something else was wonky.

He just put in strut rods....and the camber could be off a bit. It is hard to tell by the photo....but I do know some guys who run it that way due to the curvy roads in my area and the mountain roads that they like to run their car on.
The following users liked this post:
slofut (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 12:26 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
You used the 'confused' icon in your reply...repeat...YOU used that icon...not me....so that is why I replied that way. I used that word. 'confused'...because you 'said' that you were 'confused' with that icon. I see nothing wrong with that...unless I am wrong again with you.

Where to send the money....who knows.

DUB
I used the confused icon because I was confused then with all the air he has, and more so now, I have no clue what you are now taking about.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:32 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

thank you , stock grills, ralley wheels painted black 245 60 15 bfg, factory mirrors, nothing special

no don't want it too low just a touch more
Old 08-24-2016, 01:08 AM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

thank you , stock grills, ralley wheels painted black 245 60 15 bfg, factory mirrors, nothing special

no don't want it too low just a touch more
Ok, here is my opinion.......
You have 245/60/15's on your Vette......which IMO are not the correct size or look for the C3. Your tire is 26.6" overall diameter. If you went with one of the optional tire sizes for the 82, one which was 255/60/15, your overall diameter would be 27.1". A difference of the .5" from what you have and what you are looking for....
I have had a number of C3's over the years, and still have my 82 and the 74 which is in the process of getting back together. I had a 75 Vert at one time and put 245's on there and what a big mistake, it did not look good.
On the 74, I am going with the 225/70/15 which has an overall diameter of 27.4" which in your case would give you .8" more height then what you already have, which in turn would close the gap from the top of your tire to the bottom center of your quarter-panel.
So if you go with the 27.1" diameter tire (255's) and the 8" adjustable bolts as others have mentioned, that would be a good idea. Then you can slightly tweak the final ride height to your liking. And don't do anything funky to the suspension just to close your gap. I don't think it would be a wise thing to do on the street. Changing suspension geometry in the way you are seeking to do for the street is only asking for trouble.....again.....JMO

Tom

An added thought.....just don't understand why C3 owners use the 245's on their Vettes......again, they just look too small.....

Last edited by 74 LS4-454; 08-24-2016 at 09:44 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To why can't i remove or cut the busings to lower the rear a little?

Old 08-24-2016, 11:11 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
Ok, here is my opinion.......
You have 245/60/15's on your Vette......which IMO are not the correct size or look for the C3. Your tire is 26.6" overall diameter. If you went with one of the optional tire sizes for the 82, one which was 255/60/15, your overall diameter would be 27.1". A difference of the .5" from what you have and what you are looking for....
I have had a number of C3's over the years, and still have my 82 and the 74 which is in the process of getting back together. I had a 75 Vert at one time and put 245's on there and what a big mistake, it did not look good.
On the 74, I am going with the 225/70/15 which has an overall diameter of 27.4" which in your case would give you .8" more height then what you already have, which in turn would close the gap from the top of your tire to the bottom center of your quarter-panel.
So if you go with the 27.1" diameter tire (255's) and the 8" adjustable bolts as others have mentioned, that would be a good idea. Then you can slightly tweak the final ride height to your liking. And don't do anything funky to the suspension just to close your gap. I don't think it would be a wise thing to do on the street. Changing suspension geometry in the way you are seeking to do for the street is only asking for trouble.....again.....JMO

Tom

An added thought.....just don't understand why C3 owners use the 245's on their Vettes......again, they just look too small.....
i have to address that, the PO i bought it from had it on there and it still has some miles left, however only half of the diameter of the tire effects the gap, not the whole tire difference

Last edited by slickfx3; 08-24-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:46 PM
Franks73
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I went with longer bolts to lower the rear. One concern is the bolts end up so close to the ground, that if I got a flat tire, very real chance of the bolt hitting the road. The bolts were for a C-4. It has been a while, don't recall if they were 8". I pushed it as far as I dared, and then cut an inch off the bolt end. Still wish the rear was a bit lower. I have been wondering if installing QA-1 adjustable shocks in the rear would be a good way to adjust the rear ride height.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:13 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I've tried stock (6.5", I think), 8", and 10".

Stock was too short.

10" did have that awful condition of potentially grinding on the ground should the tire go down as Mr. Franks73 points out. Also, it ended up in an odd spot on the spring where it seemed more "boundy" than when a "tighter" bolt is used. Finally, the universals were pointed upward instead of being flat. Not a biggie, but just a couple too many reasons to remove the overly-long bolts.

8" are my "Goldilocks" bolts. I have the Nylock nuts a couple of threads from the end and they have worked perfectly for several years now. Car sits right and rides right. Zero complaints.

My sidepipes do have a very slight upward angle to them. I have frame issues and am not sure exactly what to attribute the sidepipe slope to. As part of my frame replacement, I will address the exact positioning of the sidepipes to ensure they are perfect when reassembled. That may involve welding some new 'tangs' onto the pipes to allow me to make a slight adjustment at the rear of the sidetube.

A picture I took last night and a video I took before replacing my strut bars...

Last edited by keithinspace; 08-24-2016 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: why can't i remove or cut the busings to lower the rear a little?