C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help-broken exhaust manifold bold- canīt remove manifold

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 10:56 PM
rebel542
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're working way to hard. Gungatim has the best idea. Pry it away from the head and saw that "Sum Beach" off with a Sawsall. If you scratch the gasket mating surface use header gaskets. No leaks!
Old 09-12-2016, 11:54 PM
rebel542
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think Gungatim has the best idea. Pry it away with a wooden wedge and saw it off with a Sawzall. Another idea is to pry it away with the wooden wedge at least an inch or better. Soak it with JB Blaster or such, wait till tomorrow and turn it out with Vice Grips or Channel Locks. I've done it before.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:20 PM
boseone
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have it !

I have it!!!
I pryed it out with ball joint separator and brutal big hammer, separator hammered between head and manifold, remaining bolt was totally stucked in manifold with rust.
Problem solved, but, manifold is little damaged, top of hole is a little grinded off, and small piece of iron cast is hammmered out
Is it useable in this condition?
I will ask for replacement manifold there in used parts for sale/wanted.
Many thanks to all!!

The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (11-21-2019)
Old 09-18-2016, 05:10 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

nothing wrong with that manifold.....
Old 09-19-2016, 08:24 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

when you put it back together, remember to use anti-seize. the next guy working on it will thank you.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:03 PM
boseone
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I continued im my heads swap project, I removed intake manifold yesterday without problems. I discovered that head gasket , which is installed on engine ( I mean that is original gasket from factory) , is very thin metal. Much thinner than my new Victor reinz nitroseal gasket prepared for my newly restored heads , which is about .044 IN thickness. Is it normal? I saw that installed gasket only small part beside heads, so is possible that there are embossments , which I canīt see now, but after I will remove heads? I will install 993 heads, is it possible to use that .044 IN gaskets, arenīt they so much fat? Many thanks !
Old 09-29-2016, 08:01 AM
sgt kohler
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem on my 72 only it was the two center bolts on the drivers side. I used a sawsall and long blades. I was able to move the manifold away from the head plus remove the old gasket.. it was just enough room to get the blade in. after the manifold came off I was able to pull the left over studs out with my fingers... just go slow !!

Quick Reply: Help-broken exhaust manifold bold- canīt remove manifold