C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about TDC, camshaft and crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 03:05 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Default Question about TDC, camshaft and crankshaft

Hi,

I've have a small question about TDC.
I'm helping installing a new camshaft in a BBC engine.

When I have piston 1 in TDC, and the "dot" on the top gear @6 and the "dot" @12 in the low gear, then I'm good to go right??

The reason I ask is because, I have the piston in TDC (and the needle is at 0 degrees in the damper), and I have the "dot" for the camshaft @6, but the "dot" on the low gear is not @12
I assume that the low gear, is installed wrong, and I just have to move the dot to @12??

Also is it normal that the "dot" on the low gear is a O, not a dot?

Thx.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:36 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by c3_dk
Hi,

I've have a small question about TDC.
I'm helping installing a new camshaft in a BBC engine.

When I have piston 1 in TDC, and the "dot" on the top gear @6 and the "dot" @12 in the low gear, then I'm good to go right??
Yes that is the simple way to install a new timing chain and gears

The reason I ask is because, I have the piston in TDC (and the needle is at 0 degrees in the damper), and I have the "dot" for the camshaft @6, but the "dot" on the low gear is not @12
I assume that the low gear, is installed wrong, and I just have to move the dot to @12??The timing mark on the damper/balancer and the pointer on the engine is for ignition timing- Cyl #1 firing. The timing gears/chain, the dots are closest together in Cyl #6 firing position. Cam gear at 6 and crank gear at 12

Also is it normal that the "dot" on the low gear is a O, not a dot?It could be, depending on who made the gears

Thx.
Hope this helps a bit

Last edited by TimAT; 09-10-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:58 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TimAT
I assume that the low gear, is installed wrong, and I just have to move the dot to @12??The timing mark on the damper/balancer and the pointer on the engine is for ignition timing- Cyl #1 firing. The timing gears/chain, the dots are closest together in Cyl #6 firing position. Cam gear at 6 and crank gear at 12

Hope this helps a bit
Yes I know, but @6 and @12 the pointer must be a 0 right?
Old 09-10-2016, 04:22 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I am not sure I follow.

Post #2 answers your questions, as I understand them.

A dot, or 0 on the gear would be the same thing. The crank gear dot at exactly 12 o'clock should have the damper timing mark at zero.

When the two timing gear marks are closest to each other (12 and 6), you are at #6 firing position, even though #1 is at TDC, also.

You need both dots at 12 o'clock to be #1 TDC firing position.

Doug
Old 09-10-2016, 06:45 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AZDoug
I am not sure I follow.

Post #2 answers your questions, as I understand them.

A dot, or 0 on the gear would be the same thing. The crank gear dot at exactly 12 o'clock should have the damper timing mark at zero.

When the two timing gear marks are closest to each other (12 and 6), you are at #6 firing position, even though #1 is at TDC, also.

Doug
Thx both
Old 09-10-2016, 09:31 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug

Doug
That's correct. Since many shop manuals (such as "Chilton's") state to assemble the gears with the two dots pointing together (crank at 12 and cam at 6), it is often assumed that this is TDC #1 firing position. This is not correct - it's just an easy way to assure gear alignment and clocking. Since the gears rotate at a 2:1 ratio, the gears can be installed at 6 & 12 or at 12 & 12. But to get the engine/cam/timing with cylinder 1 at TDC on the compression stroke (firing position), the gears must be at 12 & 12. Gears at 6 & 12 is firing position for cylinder #6. If you install your distributor with the gears at 6 & 12, the engine will never start.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:02 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lars
That's correct. Since many shop manuals (such as "Chilton's") state to assemble the gears with the two dots pointing together (crank at 12 and cam at 6), it is often assumed that this is TDC #1 firing position. This is not correct - it's just an easy way to assure gear alignment and clocking. Since the gears rotate at a 2:1 ratio, the gears can be installed at 6 & 12 or at 12 & 12. But to get the engine/cam/timing with cylinder 1 at TDC on the compression stroke (firing position), the gears must be at 12 & 12. Gears at 6 & 12 is firing position for cylinder #6. If you install your distributor with the gears at 6 & 12, the engine will never start.
Thx Lars
Old 09-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,292 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

When I was a kid rebuilding engines I was lead to believe by a certain chevy car manual that 6 and 12 #1 tdc was #1 tdc firing and everytime I put in the distributor it would run like it was gonna explode or not at all. Then I would pull the distributor and rotate it 180*. I never could figure out how I was screwing it up.
Live and learn.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:27 AM
Danish Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi John

I sent Kim a picture of my Rollmaster setup where you can see the alignment.

/Karsten
Old 09-12-2016, 10:06 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Danish Shark
Hi John

I sent Kim a picture of my Rollmaster setup where you can see the alignment.

/Karsten
I've just seen your picture, we did it like yours Sunday morning, the problems was, the small gear was not installed correct from Ohio Crank, so we took it of, and installed it correct.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about TDC, camshaft and crankshaft

Quick Reply: Question about TDC, camshaft and crankshaft