C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stubborn Seat Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 07:18 PM
Nataku
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stubborn Seat Bolt

Need to get my seats out to get them to the upholstery shop. Simple enough? Got the first 3 bolts off just fine. Last one (passenger side, left rear) is being stubborn. Spins freely. I got it about 1/4 of the way out, but then it just spins. Won't come out any further. It's not seized up as it spins. Just seems stuck in place. Any advice on how to get this thing out?

On a related note, while pulling up on the seat to put a little pressure on it while attempting to unscrew this bolt, I was unaware that the top of the seat was hitting my windshield. Got out frustrated that the bolt wasn't coming out, only to see what I had done to my windshield.

0 steps forward, 1 step back.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:23 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a nut underneath the floor that is a bit of a hassle to get a wrench or ratchet on because of the angle. You need three arms or a helper to get it out.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:29 PM
Nataku
Intermediate

Ah, that explains it. Thanks. Just on that one corner? Gotta get to it through the access hole in the frame, right?
Old 09-10-2016, 10:54 PM
KLUTZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nataku
Ah, that explains it. Thanks. Just on that one corner? Gotta get to it through the access hole in the frame, right?

That's the one. I'm doing that tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:36 AM
Cool bean
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Great timing. I just took my seats out of my 74 yesterday and had same issue. I'm very sorry about your windshield.

All my otber seat bolts came out with difficulty varying from none to mild until I hit that same passenger rear door side bolt. In my case i put a 9/16 box wrench on it. Yes, went from inside corner of frame and put the closed end of the wrench on the nut, with angle of wrench facing up. . The wrench stayed in place. In my case the head was rusted to the point where any socket could not grab it. So i drilled it out from the top.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Nataku
Intermediate

Got it! Thanks for the help!

Get notified of new replies

To Stubborn Seat Bolt

Quick Reply: Stubborn Seat Bolt