C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Angle plug vs. Straight Plugs 2016

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 12:20 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Angle plug vs. Straight Plugs 2016

Soo...

I feel like the answer to this question used to be more straight forward and now the waters are muddied...

What are the advantages of modern angle plug vs. straight plug heads?

The answer USED to be that angle plugs moved the spark plug closer to the exhaust port, and at high RPM this apparently provides a minimal power (mostly torque is my understanding) benefit.

Now most of the discussions I see are about header fitment. Which is it?

Any chance anyone knows the answer for Profiler heads? (moved towards exhaust for more perf or just moved for header fitment?)

Adam
Old 09-12-2016, 01:49 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

not a direct answer but pick what fits your headers, if there was a difference youd never even notice it.
Most of todays heads are pretty decent either way.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:31 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

the original cast iron angle plug heads were made to be used with a high dome high compression piston to get the flame travel above the piston dome so you did not need as much timing lead.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:21 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Thanks for that, folks; now on to practical application:

I bought the ceramic coated flowtech long headers #31106FLT; how can I tell which style plugs to go with for the ATK profiler heads and these headers?

If I called flowtech, won't they just say "depends upon the head" and if I call ATK about my profiler heads they'll just say "depends upon the headers"?

If the purpose here of the multiple styles to to make a choice that fits well with your headers; how do you actually tell which style will fit with your headers BEFORE you buy them and realize there's a problem?

Adam
Old 09-13-2016, 03:37 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

No....go to the Flowtech catalog and look up your part number....then read the footnotes. It will say what to use there.
Almost nobody uses angle plug stuff anymore...unless they have to or believe in aliens. The aftermarket has noticed....I was never aware of a header that was specifically made for angle plug heads.
Get straight plug heads and straight plug headers and call it.....

Jebby
The following users liked this post:
NewbVetteGuy (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 03:40 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
No....go to the Flowtech catalog and look up your part number....then read the footnotes. It will say what to use there.
Almost nobody uses angle plug stuff anymore...unless they have to or believe in aliens. The aftermarket has noticed....I was never aware of a header that was specifically made for angle plug heads.
Get straight plug heads and straight plug headers and call it.....

Jebby
THANK YOU. Very clear and concise recommendations like this are SOO appreciated.

Adam

Get notified of new replies

To Angle plug vs. Straight Plugs 2016

Quick Reply: Angle plug vs. Straight Plugs 2016