C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inspecting a Super T-10

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 04:22 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Default Inspecting a Super T-10

I have a Super T-10 out of a '74 'Vette. I want to sell it, but I want to assess it's condition first. Is this something I can do at home? If so, what should I look for?
Old 09-15-2016, 05:25 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

You can give it a very superficial examination by just removing the cover plate. That will allow you to inspect the synchronizer rings and the gear engagement teeth and gear surfaces. That tells only a tiny bit about the health of the transmission, though. You'd really need to do a tear down because there are syncro keys/springs and sliders that can be worn or damaged. You have thrust washers, roller and needle bearings and shafts that can be worn. Then you have the shifting mechanism; forks, detents, lockouts and such. If you don't have a lot of experience to properly access what it is you're looking at and what wear looks like, then it may not be a good use of your time.

I suggest you do a web search for properly inspecting a Super T-10. Most who sell a used transmission usually take photos with the cover off and let the buyer make all the assumptions.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:59 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gerry72

I suggest you do a web search for properly inspecting a Super T-10. Most who sell a used transmission usually take photos with the cover off and let the buyer make all the assumptions.
I will do both. I have always wanted to take a trans apart to see how it works, but I'll check out a few Youtube videos first as it may beyond my skill set.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:16 AM
rebel542
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your transmission is worth a lot more in one piece. If you want to pull the shifter cover and inspect for broken teeth I'm sure your future buyer would appreciate it. Other than that leave it whole.
The following users liked this post:
Richard Daugird (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 09:01 AM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree with rebel. Most likely it should have all of the little wear items replaced. A word of caution if you are not familiar with the Super T-10, re-assembly is a chinese puzzle. Follow service manual instructions VERY carefully.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:26 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rebel542
Your transmission is worth a lot more in one piece. If you want to pull the shifter cover and inspect for broken teeth I'm sure your future buyer would appreciate it. Other than that leave it whole.
I like that idea.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:34 PM
BigBlock77
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

It really is a simple transmission to rebuild though. Just pay attention to the exploded view diagram and reassemble as you took it apart. Take lots of pictures as it comes apart to make sure you understand how it goes back together. I rebuilt mine back in high school. In retrospect, I'm not sure why I even rebuilt it, it was nearly pristine inside. That time and money would have been better spent elsewhere... At least now I know it has a fresh rebuild on it, though that rebuild was over 20 years ago now. It will be ready when I get it back on the road anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Inspecting a Super T-10

Quick Reply: Inspecting a Super T-10