C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

elect fan combo setups

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 02:34 AM
Cairns-convert
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default elect fan combo setups

Hi all,
For fear of opening up yet another temp problem thread.

Curious how people that are running elec fans have setup thermostat, thermo switch and location.

Mine is 68 manual, AC (aftermarket), seals in place, chin spoiler, new ish (2 years old) al radiator, elec fans with shroud.
Which should cover the basics of the cooling system.

My control setup,
180 Thermostat
194 on, 203 off, thermo switch installed in head at the back.

My calcs indicate that provided the cooling system is working right the thermo fans should not come on at speed.

Is this reasonable?

Can I ask what combo others are using, thermostat, thermo switch and location to achieve the fans not coming on at speed.
And if you know, what sort of speed provides enough airflow? 30+, 50+

Cheers
Old 11-06-2016, 07:04 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

The one thing you need to make sure is that at least one fan is running whenever the A/C is on. There must be air flow though the codenser at all times. I have my temp switch on the Dewitt's radiator and dual Spal fans. I have one fan on the temp switch and one on when the key is on.

Last edited by redwingvette; 11-06-2016 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:19 AM
Cairns-convert
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep, have a trinary switch on the AC wired to the thermos fans. not worried about that as much as the general set ups people use on thermos fans
Old 11-06-2016, 09:28 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

you've got 14* between your thermostat and your fan on temp so that should be able to keep the fans off at speed on most days. On the really hot days with the A/C on it probably won't.
I have my set up about the same temp swings and thermostat and my fans don't run at speed up to maybe 85* or so even at 30 MPH. As the temp rises then the speed would need to increase to keep it cool, but eventually as I said it's gonna get hot enough that the fans may need cycle.

Not a big deal. I can tell when mine cycle on as I can see the water temp fall suddenly back to 190ish degrees from something around 200ish.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:15 AM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi,

For my small block, I have the temp sender in the thermostat housing and can easily see when it opens.

For the fans, I bought an adjustable thermostat switch like below from ebay. The sensor fits in the top radiator hose and this allows you to control when the fans kick on.

To see when the fans are on, I ran a small wire from the fans back to a small green LED in the dash to see when they get power. It's an inexpensive and adjustable set up.

John

Old 11-06-2016, 02:23 PM
clwi
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a single 16" spal fan on my 468 BB with alu radiator, it never turns on when driving, only at cruising, otherwise no issues.

Get notified of new replies

To elect fan combo setups

Quick Reply: elect fan combo setups