C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinker & flasher issues / upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 06:45 PM
1978BackToLife
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinker & flasher issues / upgrade?

I have a 1978 that has blinker timing issues as well as radio static pops and cutting out. I found the factory radio capacitor on the floor (fell out?) and was about to find where it goes, but thought I would ask the pros for their suggestions (have also reviewed a couple previous topics on the matter here).

Would it be better to keep things stock or upgrade as someone mentioned to solid-state units? Not sure if these eliminate the need for the capacitors and where they are available for sale? Couldn't find solid-state units on the retailer sites but wasn't sure if this was the same unit as those who upgrade to LED (I'm not going the LED route).

A forum member mentioned my car would have 2 - one for flashers and one for blinkers, would they be the same and do both stock units require a capacitor?

My blinkers don't have an equal on/off timing - they sort of "skip" in and are only turn on for a very brief flash before being off for much longer. If I put the parking lights on, the timing gets a little better, full headlights on and better yet.

Radio has static pops and cuts out, especially when at a red light. Thanks for any tips

Last edited by 1978BackToLife; 11-14-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:14 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

9 times out of 10 it's a grounding issue with blinkers in our vettes. I was told each light has its own ground when I was having the bumpers replace, I had the shop clean and check them. The quick fix is using a heavy duty flasher made for towing. It actually has an electric motor in the flasher that spins with contacts. Instead of using resistance to heat up a metal spring.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:03 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 754 Likes on 525 Posts

For what it's worth Rockauto has the flashers listed for our old cars. I have a '71 and there are three to choose from and one of them is an electronic unit.
If you looked at other threads the you must have seen mine about my blinkers blinking slow when my headlights are on?

Turn signals flash slow when headlights are on.

Originally Posted by theandies
TTT

Looked at my flasher. It's a 224 with what looks like an original capacitor on it. Not sure if 224 is the correct one as I looked on Rockauto (I know, not the most reliable parts house for vintage cars) and they have three listed. One electronic version and two 522's.
I haven't found the time to mess with it but I'm doing an oil change and other stuff this weekend and before I spend any money (not that they are super expensive) on my issue I'm going to check the grounds.

You are correct. There are two flasher units. I don't know about your year but my turn signal flasher is on a clip behind the passenger dash panel. The hazard flasher is plugged into the fuse panel. Not sure if they are the same as I've never looked at my hazard flasher.

Get notified of new replies

To Blinker & flasher issues / upgrade?

Quick Reply: Blinker & flasher issues / upgrade?