C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 Radiator Shroud Seals

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 08:11 PM
twinpack
Drifting

Received 349 Likes on 155 Posts

Default 68 Radiator Shroud Seals

Those of you that have restored your radiator shroud, I am looking for guidance on installing the rubber seals.
I have removed the old seal and my question is when installing the new replacement seals, how did you attach it to the metal shroud. The original was stapled on. Did you reinstall with staples and if so how, what tool was needed? Or did you use adhesive?
Open to any and all suggestions.
Thanks in advance,
Peter
Old 11-15-2016, 07:16 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Peter,
The various venders sell preformed staples for use in attaching the rubber seal to the perimeter of the fan shroud.
It's easiest to use the same holes in the shroud that the original staples made. (A pretty serious stapler must have been used originally to shoot the staples through the steel!)
I used a needle to locate each hole in the seal, and make the hole, and then a pliers to push the staple through the seal and shroud.
I then used 2 small needle nose pliers to bend the legs of the staples over to secure the seal in place.
A little tedious to do but not a bad job!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 11-15-2016 at 07:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
twinpack (11-15-2016)

Quick Reply: 68 Radiator Shroud Seals