C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best clutch for stock L48 - light pedal important

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 09:55 PM
jimkari
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Best clutch for stock L48 - light pedal important

I have a '73 L48 auto that I converted to a manual. I installed a Perfection Clutch from Autozone, but I'm not that happy with the clutch. I pulled the trans due to a shifting issue, so now is the time to change the clutch if I want to. Any advice on a good stock clutch that will have a light pedal feel? I'd like to let my wife drive the car but I think the current pedal pressure is too heavy for her. Given my engine is basically stock, (just bored .030 over) I don't need a high HP clutch.

I've read the LUX, NAPA, and McLeod Street Pro are good clutches, but I certainly could use some advice from the experts.

Sorry to hit the forum with all my questions. I'm hoping to address any possible issue before I reinstall the trans for what I hope will be the last time.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 11-14-2016, 10:02 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by jimkari
I have a '73 L48 auto that I converted to a manual. I installed a Perfection Clutch from Autozone, but I'm not that happy with the clutch. I pulled the trans due to a shifting issue, so now is the time to change the clutch if I want to. Any advice on a good stock clutch that will have a light pedal feel? I'd like to let my wife drive the car but I think the current pedal pressure is too heavy for her. Given my engine is basically stock, (just bored .030 over) I don't need a high HP clutch.

I've read the LUX, NAPA, and McLeod Street Pro are good clutches, but I certainly could use some advice from the experts.

Sorry to hit the forum with all my questions. I'm hoping to address any possible issue before I reinstall the trans for what I hope will be the last time.

Thanks,

Jim
I would suggest you find a few local corvette people and test their pedal feel. I never found any single disc clutch for my corvette with a proper pedal feel. I am using a twin disc setup with hydraulic TOB.

Using stock Z-bar setup this may be difficult to find anything that will be light enough.

Find a C6 corvette as a base and see if she would be happy with this.
This is a single disc with hydraulic TOB.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:06 PM
jimkari
Racer

Great thought, thanks for the quick feedback.

Jim
Old 11-15-2016, 04:31 AM
Big Block 69
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Default clutch

Mine has a stock replacement disc and stock diaphram pressure plate. Everything works like it should with light pedal pressure. When the opportunity comes up, I usually use stock rebuilt units and I've never had any problems. Luk is a common brand around here.

Rick
Old 11-15-2016, 06:04 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I used a RAM HDX clutch with my L-82 rebuild but this clutch is designed for up to 450 HP, not stock HP. The pedal feel is almost exactly like the OEM stock L-82 GM clutch...it feels the same. For you, I would suggest the RAM Premium Replacement clutch...read here:

http://www.ramclutches.com/streetclutchset.html
Old 11-15-2016, 07:57 AM
jimkari
Racer

Thanks guys, I appreciate the tips.

Jim
Old 11-15-2016, 11:13 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 359 Posts

Remember light for the guys and light for his wife are 2 different things.

I would guess none of your corvette clutches feel like a Honda civic ?
Old 11-15-2016, 11:59 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

DO NOT GET THE DUEL FRICTION CENTERFORCE CLUTCH COUNTERWEIGHTS.

pos... the weights will NOT self center, and will give you added vibration,,,

I use a twin disk aluminum McCloud clutch.. but this is much more than you need... a stock GM for a stock engine is just fine.

Last edited by pauldana; 11-15-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:38 PM
jimkari
Racer

Thanks, when guys refer to a stock clutch are they referring to an actual GM clutch or another supplier? I've heard the LUK is considered stock. Is that correct and is it a good choice?

Jim
Old 11-15-2016, 02:04 PM
jimkari
Racer

I think I confirmed my clutch is functioning properly. With the clutch bolted to the flywheel off the car and the throwout bearing set on top of the pressure plate figures, I put the clutch in my press, installed a dial indicator and pressed on the bearing. The clutch started to move slightly at about .35". At .400" the disk could wiggle. At .500" I had about .042" clearance and the disk was completely free. At .57" I had .050" clearance. I also tried to measure the pressure it took to release the clutch. This operation probably wasn't as precise, but using a bathroom scale, it appears I need about 145 pounds at the throwout bearing to release the clutch.

Jim
Old 11-15-2016, 03:40 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

You may need 145 pounds at the bearing, but the fork's lever ratio reduces that greatly. I doubt that more than 30 pounds pedal effort is needed. GM designed these cars for 3rd standard deviation individuals, meaning that even very small or large individuals can drive them.
Get a stock GM replacement clutch.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:13 PM
jimkari
Racer

Sounds good, and I agree. With the clutch fork leverage, my force at the end of the fork should be around 65 pounds. With the pedal leverage it is probably at the 25 - 30 lbs mark.

Thanks for the input.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Best clutch for stock L48 - light pedal important

Quick Reply: Best clutch for stock L48 - light pedal important