C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue smoke puff between shifts

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 04:19 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Default Blue smoke puff between shifts

After a little research I found what I was looking for:

Originally Posted by yyz1970 View Post

Thanks for the input
I did another dry/wet compression test with good results
after running it today I did find a puddle of Oil on the intake manifold under the throttle linkage
I'm going to pull the intake and try a new gasket

Has anyone experienced a leaking intake causing Blue smoke?

Yup. More than once. If you have an intake runner to cylinder head gasket leak on the lower side of the intake runner, it will indeed draw oil into that runner. If this happens, that cylinder in question will undoubtedly be burning oil, easily proven via spark plug inspection.

A rule of thumb taught to me by an old timer goes like this:
If it smokes under constant acceleration, it's the rings. If you wind the engine up driving down the road and let off the gas in gear, then let it wind down on it's own, then hit the gas pedal again. If it smokes then, it's valve seals/valve guides, ect. Under deceleration, bad valve seals of guides will "draw" oil into the cylinder and smoke when you hit the gas.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1586787556

I knew I read it somewhere. I have the same issue. The only thing that puzzles me is that my heads are new as of last year. Maybe 2000 miles on them. So I would wonder why the guides/seals would be bad on such low mile heads. These are Summit Vortec heads.

Anyways I will tear into this in the next days/weeks starting with the plugs, compression, leak down etc.

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2016, 01:27 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you get better at speed-shifting [power shifting], you won't have time for any 'blue smoke'.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 11-22-2016 at 01:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jim-81 (11-22-2016)

Quick Reply: Blue smoke puff between shifts