C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Ratchet Shifter mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 11:19 AM
myohpe@gmail.com
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default C3 Ratchet Shifter mod

I have yet to buy a used shifter and build this, but it is my blueprint for modifying a stock shifter to make it a gated, or ratchet style, shifter. While not a true ratchet action, it's gated function allows for positive shifts without a chance of a missed shift during performance driving.
To operate it on a four speed automatic, just push the button down and move forward for the 1-2 shift. Release the button and move forward the 2-3 shift. Then push the button down again and move forward for the 3-4 shift.
To operate it on a three speed automatic, just push forward for the 1-2 shift. Then push the button down and move forward for the 2-3 shift.
I have been very busy lately, as caretaker of my elderly father. If anybody tries this before I get the chance to build mine, please show me yours and tell me how it works for you.
I am certain that this shifter mod will operate as designed to provide positive no-miss shifts. All without any modifications to your car or dash, and maintaining the stock look of the car. The used shifters sell on ebay for about 50-100 bucks, depending on condition. So with a little "sweat equity", cut and grind, and a spare piece of sheet metal you should have a gated stock shifter for 1/3 the price of a fancy aftermarket shifter that won't fit your dash without major work.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:20 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Cool stuff never understoood why GM didnt do something like that on a performance car some cases you need it way too easy to overshoot
Old 08-10-2017, 07:49 AM
myohpe@gmail.com
Advanced

UPDATE: It has been awhile since my first posting, but I am finally finished assembling the prototype. I made it from 1/8" thick, 1-1/2" wide aluminum, and it seems quite durable. Notice the change to the upper (factory) shift gate, I cut a notch from 1st through third gear, to make it work as designed with the lower piece. I will attach it to my transmission with a spare shift cable, so I can test it to make sure it aligns with the transmission detents. Following successful testing, I'll install it in my car. I won't have to worry about missing a shift anymore, all without butchering my console or having some aftermarket shifter sticking out of the boot. I'll update again after successful road testing.

Last edited by myohpe@gmail.com; 08-10-2017 at 07:52 AM. Reason: added details
The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I like your way of thinking and the creative process, but don't believe the aluminum gate will hold up under aggressive shifting. It would be easy enough to make one from 1/8 inch steel if the aluminum fails. Best wishes and be sure to post test results.
carriljc (08-14-2022)
Old 08-10-2017, 02:42 PM
Cool bean
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I did something similar but not exactly the same. I dremeled the detent so I could use the stock shifter for my 700r4 upgrade. I measured the "throw" or distance the shifter traveled on the transmission and indexed it on the shifter. I made an adapter fdo. Flat aluminum stock so thd stocm cable and cable mounting bracket from the TH400 could be used on the 700r4 trans. Notice the little ridges on the shifter detent; i put them there so could slightly push shifter **** and the shifter would stop at next gear. It doesnt work as smooth as I would like, i will try filing the ridge to make it smaller. I also fear the ridge might break the spring loaded locking tab that travels along the detent.

another issue i'm having is the total travel of the neutral safety switch. But a new switch might fix my issue; which is that the reverse lights are on in neutral instead of reverse. I'll see if i can pick up a switch in Carlisle in a few weeks.

carriljc (03-09-2022)
Old 08-15-2017, 10:44 AM
myohpe@gmail.com
Advanced

UPDATE: The shifter is now in the car, and I have had a chance to drive it for many miles through town and on the highway. I can report that it works perfectly as designed! During installation, I found it necessary to "fine tune" the gate. I had to cut additional material from the back of the gate in order to get it into 1st gear. I wouldn't have had to do this, except that the brand new shift cable I installed has almost 1/4" of slop in it. If I could locate an OEM cable, I would prefer that. But they seem impossible to find anymore. Anyway, after removing about 1/8" of additional material from the rear part of the shift gate, I now have all four gears (200-4R trans). Now that I am familiar with the proceedure for shifting using the new gate design, I am super happy that I did this. Fast, positive shifts through all gears. No more shifting past second or third by accident during rapid acceleration from a stop. WOW! I think anyone with a Vette that has been upgraded horsepower-wise should have this. You cannot imagine what you are missing until you try this. And I don't have some aftermarket mumbo jumbo sticking out of my center console. It looks totally factory, and operates the gear indicator just like original, but it shifts like some $300 ratchet shifter. Total cost was $5, for the steel piece used to make the lower gate. Since I chose to experiment using a separate shifter, bought off ebay, I paid an additional $40. But if you do it to your existing shifter, it'll cost you just $5 plus some of your time. Free if you have some strap steel laying around. Oh, and if you don't like it for some bizarre reason, you can drill out the rivets and remove the lower gate, turning it back into a standard shifter, except for having to push the button to shift from 3rd to 4th. I hope someone on the forum sees this, and tries it, because I know now how great it is to have. The hardest part of the whole job was aligning the carpet panels on both sides of the parking brake cover, getting them into the skinny tracks under the rubber housing. That took me some time. But the rest of the job was actually fun. I love custom fabrication. Gives me a real sense of accomplishment. And now my baby is a ball to drive, shifting through the gears at 6800 RPM with zero missed shifts, breaking the tires loose in 2nd and 3rd. Damn, so this is the way it's supposed to be!
The following 2 users liked this post by myohpe@gmail.com:
Cool bean (11-06-2019), vette8121 (08-15-2017)
Old 02-25-2020, 01:31 PM
1981BBCD
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter mod

Does anyone have any measurements or a template of this mod? I so like to use it on a 4l80e. Thank you for your time.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:23 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Received 394 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by 1981BBCD
Does anyone have any measurements or a template of this mod? I so like to use it on a 4l80e. Thank you for your time.
I love that shifter mod. Rings true with my DIY spirit.

What 4l80E shifter are you using now in your C3? Why do you need manual shifting in a 4l80E? Trans brake?
Old 02-25-2020, 04:17 PM
1981BBCD
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter mod

I have the factory 350 turbo shifter in my 1981. I will be using a full manual valve body.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:17 PM
Cool bean
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey @myohpe@gmail.com , thank you for documenting your shifter mod! You gave me enough info to build upon it. I hacked, filed, tested, retested and now have a way to run UP the gears without missing (your mod,) and also added a way to down shift without missing.
it ain't pretty, but it works during bench testing while connected to 700r4 transmission.

I used stainless steel flat stock (actually it was shelf brackets from a restaurant) that was .10 think; just under an 1/8 inch.
the next step is to mount in to stock shift, which I'll do with nylock nuts & bolts.

Can't wait to road test it. But the Ideas here are fantastic, so thank you again.

(Total cost, including dremel tools, drill bits, scroll saw blades, etc, about $30.)

Old 03-09-2022, 12:13 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Cool bean
Great ideas.....and here I was over-thinking it. I'm going to a 200-4R but the idea should work. Many thanks.

Originally Posted by Cool bean
I did something similar but not exactly the same. I dremeled the detent so I could use the stock shifter for my 700r4 upgrade. I measured the "throw" or distance the shifter traveled on the transmission and indexed it on the shifter. I made an adapter fdo. Flat aluminum stock so thd stocm cable and cable mounting bracket from the TH400 could be used on the 700r4 trans. Notice the little ridges on the shifter detent; i put them there so could slightly push shifter **** and the shifter would stop at next gear. It doesnt work as smooth as I would like, i will try filing the ridge to make it smaller. I also fear the ridge might break the spring loaded locking tab that travels along the detent.

another issue i'm having is the total travel of the neutral safety switch. But a new switch might fix my issue; which is that the reverse lights are on in neutral instead of reverse. I'll see if i can pick up a switch in Carlisle in a few weeks.

Old 03-12-2022, 03:29 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Used an easy guide from a old thread on here to put a Hurst Quarter stick in my 77, one of the best mods I've done to the car
Old 03-12-2022, 09:33 PM
MattoonVette
Living the Vette life....
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 166 Posts

Great thought on doing that mod, I like it. I ran across this about a month ago and debating about putting in in my car. Right now I have modified my stock shifter for the 4L60E I have in the car.

Old 03-12-2022, 09:53 PM
76strokervette
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 156 Posts

That's the first shifter I have seen made for a corvette. But not enough year coverage for many. I have shiftworks kit and custom billet aluminum handle I made in mine.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:01 PM
MattoonVette
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 76strokervette
That's the first shifter I have seen made for a corvette. But not enough year coverage for many. I have shiftworks kit and custom billet aluminum handle I made in mine.
I was surprised when I saw it. I have both the black and chrome bezels for it plus the 4 speed pattern plate. Right now I am like you, I have the stock shifter with the Shiftworks kit in it. I have also been working on using a shift **** with the up/down shift buttons built into the ****. My trans controller can use either shift paddles or a shift **** to change gears. I have the **** mod done on my stock shifter, just need to clean it up and refine it a little with a modified shift boot. Time to break out a sewing machine. LOL
Old 03-12-2022, 10:13 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

76strokervette
here's a slap shifter that looks like stock and not gaudy for 77-82. https://shiftworks.com/products/1977...40671122686125

Old 03-12-2022, 10:18 PM
MattoonVette
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by carriljc
76strokervette
here's a slap shifter that looks like stock and not gaudy for 77-82. https://shiftworks.com/products/1977...40671122686125
That's pretty nice but that price tag is a killer. LOL...yes I would probably buy it if I didn't have their shifter kit already installed.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Ratchet Shifter mod

Old 03-12-2022, 10:21 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Yeah. Never even considered a slap shifter until I saw that thing.....
Old 03-12-2022, 11:13 PM
76strokervette
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 156 Posts

Here are a few pictures of my handle. Still limited options for 76 and older.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:21 PM
MattoonVette
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are a few pictures of my handle. Still limited options for 76 and older.

Did you make it out of titanium? 😁👍

Quick Reply: C3 Ratchet Shifter mod