C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Door/Headlight Relay Valves

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 07:42 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Default Wiper Door/Headlight Relay Valves

I have been chasing a wiper door problem on my 69 for awhile and finally figured it out today. The wiper door/headlight relay valves are spring loaded on the built in diaphragm to the open position with no vacuum. On start, vacuum is supplied to the small port at the top of the valve which overpowers the spring, closes the valve and directs vacuum to the "closed" side of the wiper door actuator. To overpower the built in spring holding the diaphragm in the open position on the ORIGINAL valves only takes slightly more than 1" of vacuum so the wiper door stays closed. On the aftermarket relays it takes around 3" of vacuum to overpower that spring. When the valve is overpowered by the spring on vacuum bleed off to the open position there is still almost 3" of vacuum available which is enough to open the wiper door. Then, on start up vacuum will partially raise then quickly lower the wiper door because it takes 3' of vacuum to overpower the spring an place the valve in the closed position.By that time the door is already starting to open. I imagine one of these cheap aftermarket valves would do the same on the headlights. At first I thought the problem was the wiper door safety switch so I replaced it with one of the good ones from Willcox but the problem continued and I have finally found the new aftermarket relay is at fault as the built in spring is too stiff. I still have the original which I used to compare vacuum readings and it is now working perfectly in the car again. Are reliable US made vacuum relays still available anywhere or do they all come from overseas now?
The following 2 users liked this post by CanadaGrant:
ajrothm (01-29-2017), Brcmpbl (01-24-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 09:07 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

I bought 4 Delco units from 2 dealers, and sent them all back. Defective.
I then bought 2 repops from a certain Doctor. They work fine.
He also told me 3 different manufacturers make them.
Which ones do I have? Dunno.
The following users liked this post:
CanadaGrant (01-24-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 09:43 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
I bought 4 Delco units from 2 dealers, and sent them all back. Defective.
I then bought 2 repops from a certain Doctor. They work fine.
He also told me 3 different manufacturers make them.
Which ones do I have? Dunno.
Yes, this cheap re-pop passed all the normal vacuum checks for leaks and operation but the wrong spring inside makes it useless for what it was intended. Just goes to show you new and shiny isn't better than old and ugly if it wasn't designed to work...

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 01-23-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:35 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,129 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
Yes, this cheap re-pop passed all the normal vacuum checks for leaks and operation but the wrong spring inside makes it useless for what it was intended. Just goes to show you new and shiny isn't better than old and ugly if it wasn't designed to work...
Old 01-29-2017, 12:09 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

My car has the same issue with the wiper door opening on start up and I've chased my tail for years with it. I do have new repro valves on it as well... Maybe you are on to something...

I need to investigate it further.

I know I replaced my wiper door switch which was completely rotted away but the wiper door worked in correlation to the wiper arms closing. I replaced the wiper door switch with one from Wilcox, the one that is supposed to be the "GOOD" one... And now my wiper door closes on the wiper arms.

Its always something with these vacuum systems. I have never been able to get mine to work 100% correct, all the time.

Last edited by ajrothm; 01-29-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:03 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ajrothm
My car has the same issue with the wiper door opening on start up and I've chased my tail for years with it. I do have new repro valves on it as well... Maybe you are on to something...

I need to investigate it further.

I know I replaced my wiper door switch which was completely rotted away but the wiper door worked in correlation to the wiper arms closing. I replaced the wiper door switch with one from Wilcox, the one that is supposed to be the "GOOD" one... And now my wiper door closes on the wiper arms.

Its always something with these vacuum systems. I have never been able to get mine to work 100% correct, all the time.
At first I thought I was the only one but it seems DUB had the same problem and found the same cause. Read the info in the thread below starting at post 11 and click on his link.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...her-leaks.html

The following users liked this post:
ajrothm (01-29-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper Door/Headlight Relay Valves

Quick Reply: Wiper Door/Headlight Relay Valves