C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with crate engine choice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 06:01 PM
packavette
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with crate engine choice!

I know there are numerous threads out there about crate engines, and buying new/rebuilding, but I haven't been able to find much on this forum about my two front runners.

I'm looking to replace the stock L-48 engine in my 76, and will replace the 4 speed with a TKO600 while I'm at it. I have narrowed it down to the SP350/385hp, and the SP383 both offered by GM. It sounds like these two engines are fairly new, or renamed versions of the Fast Burn 385, and the ZZ383, respectively.

I'm not looking to race the car in any way, more of a weekend driver that needs to be upgraded from stock.

The SP350/385 is listed at 385HP @ 5600 RPM and 405 lb-ft @ 3600 RPM. The SP383 is listed at 435HP @ 5600 RPM and 445 lb-ft @ 4600 RPM.

The SP350 has a dual plane intake, while the SP383 has a single plane intake. In my limited knowledge of engines, I understand this to mean the the SP383's single plane intake may lead to worse idle and low RPM characteristics; while the SP350's dual plane may be more suited for in-town driving. Does anyone have any experience with the ZZ383/SP383 and can speak to its lower RPM feel? If I swapped the SP383 intake with a dual plane, would that improve the lower RPM driveability (and may help with hood clearance)?

My car has the stock hood, so I know fitment of both engines may be an issue, but I'm open to replacing the stock hood with a L88 hood for additional clearance in addition to drop base air cleaners.

Ultimately, I don't want to replace my engine with something that a year down the road I'm wishing I had gone for something bigger with more power.

I've looked at other brands of engines as well, Blueprint, ATK, etc, but it seems that for every persons with a positive review, there is another with a negative opinion. The reliability of the engine is more important than the price.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
C3PO.G. (07-16-2023)
Old 01-25-2017, 06:55 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by packavette
I know there are numerous threads out there about crate engines, and buying new/rebuilding, but I haven't been able to find much on this forum about my two front runners.

I'm looking to replace the stock L-48 engine in my 76, and will replace the 4 speed with a TKO600 while I'm at it. I have narrowed it down to the SP350/385hp, and the SP383 both offered by GM. It sounds like these two engines are fairly new, or renamed versions of the Fast Burn 385, and the ZZ383, respectively.

I'm not looking to race the car in any way, more of a weekend driver that needs to be upgraded from stock.

The SP350/385 is listed at 385HP @ 5600 RPM and 405 lb-ft @ 3600 RPM. The SP383 is listed at 435HP @ 5600 RPM and 445 lb-ft @ 4600 RPM.

The SP350 has a dual plane intake, while the SP383 has a single plane intake. In my limited knowledge of engines, I understand this to mean the the SP383's single plane intake may lead to worse idle and low RPM characteristics; while the SP350's dual plane may be more suited for in-town driving. Does anyone have any experience with the ZZ383/SP383 and can speak to its lower RPM feel? If I swapped the SP383 intake with a dual plane, would that improve the lower RPM driveability (and may help with hood clearance)?

My car has the stock hood, so I know fitment of both engines may be an issue, but I'm open to replacing the stock hood with a L88 hood for additional clearance in addition to drop base air cleaners.

Ultimately, I don't want to replace my engine with something that a year down the road I'm wishing I had gone for something bigger with more power.

I've looked at other brands of engines as well, Blueprint, ATK, etc, but it seems that for every persons with a positive review, there is another with a negative opinion. The reliability of the engine is more important than the price.

383 Roller motor with EFI; 430hp 450ft lbs $5,600; $1,000 cheaper with a carb but for $1000-why not go EFI?
http://blueprintengines.com/index.ph...ed-bp38313ctf1

Adam
packavette (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 07:58 PM
Luce
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I got the same engine, but just the long block and added the chinese ebay 8 stack. So far, great. I would recommend to a friend.

Edit... the Blueprint mentioned above is the one I have.

Last edited by Luce; 01-25-2017 at 07:59 PM.
packavette (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 08:29 PM
packavette
Cruising

Appreciate the replies. NewbVetteGuy, do you have any experience with the Blueprint engine you linked, or just a suggestion? The numbers are impressive for the money, and I guess the warranty should allow enough time to find any possible problems.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:50 PM
lakerider57
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Appreciate the replies. NewbVetteGuy, do you have any experience with the Blueprint engine you linked, or just a suggestion? The numbers are impressive for the money, and I guess the warranty should allow enough time to find any possible problems.
Well if you are looking in that price range why not look at this 383 Stroker from Smelding for $5,895. (450HP & 460 ft-lbs. torque). This is the direction I will probably go for my body-off restoration.

http://www.smedingperformance.com/ch...orsepower.html

Block: "New" GM 4 bolt main instead of used block
Crankshaft: Forged 4340 steel
Rods: High-strength 5140 forged-steel “I” beam, balanced In sets.
Pistons: Hypereutectic 9.8:1 full-floating.
Rings: Low-friction single-moly 5/64” x 5/64” x 3/16”
Camshaft: Custom-ground hydraulic roller
Rocker Arms: 1.5 Ratio, full roller
Intake: Performer RPM air-gap, dual plane
Cylinder Heads: aluminun
Carburetor: Quick Fuel 750 vacuum secondary, dual-feed
Distributor: High-energy, HEI polished aluminum housing
Warranty : Limited 3 Year, unlimited mileage
Old 01-27-2017, 10:55 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

I'm looking to replace the stock L-48 engine in my 76, and will replace the 4 speed with a TKO600 while I'm at it. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks.
This is my GM ZZ383 install.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-my-78-a.html

And my T56 Magnum 6-speed install.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

Performance report 1/4 mile. Using 3.08 Rear Gear's.

This combo for me is a great street car, but its main use is for road track days.

C3PO.G. (07-16-2023)
Old 01-28-2017, 08:33 AM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
383 Roller motor with EFI; 430hp 450ft lbs $5,600; $1,000 cheaper with a carb but for $1000-why not go EFI?
http://blueprintengines.com/index.ph...ed-bp38313ctf1

Adam
This is the one I got from Summit Racing with free shipping. It is also from blueprint engines. I've had it in the car for 2 years now with zero problems. You can also read the reviews at the bottom of the page.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...MobileSwitchNo
Old 01-28-2017, 09:34 AM
packavette
Cruising

These all look like good choices, and it's good to hear people have had good experiences with the different engines suggested.

Are the oil pans that come with these engines fitting in your C3's with no issues with steering, or is that another thing to add to the list?
Old 01-28-2017, 09:41 AM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Mine fit with zero problems. I'm also running headers with side pipes.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:49 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 755 Likes on 525 Posts

I went with the ZZ4 as when I replaced the old truck engine my car had in it the ZZ4 was the best bang-for-the-buck at the time. A few years later GM came out with the crate LS motors which is what I'd do today if I were to swap again.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:09 PM
packavette
Cruising

I was leaning towards one of the BluePrint 383's, mainly for the warranty. Then I stumbled across a 383 offered by Pace Performance. It is a HT383, with a cam swap.

It produces much more torque at lower RPMs. I'd think this would be ideal for a car to be driven on the street. It has cast iron heads, so wouldn't get the weight savings. Comes with a brand new GM block, and has EFI kit.

Hopefully this link works! http://paceperformance.com/i-2386015...te-engine.html

Any thoughts?
Old 02-07-2017, 05:16 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

That Smeding performance motor looks really good. I know they have been around for a while as they use to be in California.

Forged crank and rods with a NEW block that was done with torque plates.
Comes with a Quickfuel that they have already setup for the combination.

No screwing around with Jets and IFR.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:42 PM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ddawson
That Smeding performance motor looks really good. I know they have been around for a while as they use to be in California.

Forged crank and rods with a NEW block that was done with torque plates.
Comes with a Quickfuel that they have already setup for the
No screwing around with Jets and IFR.
Running the Smeding 383 touring in my 75 for a littlle over a year. 5000 miles. Great motor but the "corvette only" fuel pump didn't fit. Dynoed at 370 hp/440 tq. Running a th400 with Continental special built torque converter. Great engine and plenty of power for me.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:46 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Ignore stats and price
do the 383 every time. You wont regret it BBC power in the sbc pkg youl love it. 3.48 stroke just not enought to make a heavey car run. Some have but it gets expensive. Build big as you possibly can
Run every imaginable h/c i combo on a 350 never said ahhh...getting close til I increades stroke. Telling you thats wher its at. Dont be afriad of a lil compression too. Just dont go corking it up with stock intkae/exh like some bozos will tell you to do. They can breathe
Old 02-07-2017, 08:15 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Here's what i'm running in my 64. Awesome motor

https://www.tristarengines.com/catal...der-heads.html

Old 02-08-2017, 12:07 AM
drspencer
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Both these engines have impressive specs.

Can anyone comment on the idle quality?

Will both these crate engines be as smooth as my stock '71 350/270 at idle?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2017, 05:42 PM
73racevette
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by skids
Here's what i'm running in my 64. Awesome motor

https://www.tristarengines.com/catal...der-heads.html

Did not think that intake would fit under the hood. What sort of hood are you running that fits that intake, etc? Was wanting to go with MPFI like this, but figured the intake would not fit in my '73.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with crate engine choice!

Old 02-08-2017, 07:32 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 73racevette
Did not think that intake would fit under the hood. What sort of hood are you running that fits that intake, etc? Was wanting to go with MPFI like this, but figured the intake would not fit in my '73.
I have a 67 hood. The motor had a Dart DP intake wth a Quick fuel carb.
I was using an L88 base with a 2" filter, I think. This setup now is actually an inch shorter, allowing me to use a taller filter with a base with less drop.
73racevette (02-08-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 08:25 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Have run the ZZ383 Deluxe for 2.5 seasons now. Original delivered cost was $5550 Cdn then rec'd a $900 Cdn rebate (due to GM overstating hp/tq) so for $4850 cdn I certainly have ho complaints with this engine. It replaced another 383 stroker which we built to run quarters. The difference in the 2 is significant. Both engines have a single plane intake but the old engine the power came on @4750 rpm and would pull strong to @7200 rpm. It was a fun engine but the ZZ beats it for street driving as it has a fairly flat tq curve. I was concerned with running another single plane now that I am only using the vette for street and no more 1/4 runs. I do miss that screaming upper end of the old engine once in awhile but overall for my use of the vette now the ZZ is a much better fit. The ZZ is no slouch and a lot of fun - love the fact that tq comes on much lower. I went back and forth numerous times whether to go the Ls route or keep the engine back essentially stock looking. I left the engine painted black as just liked the look, have the original engine packed away in the corner of the garage.
C3PO.G. (07-16-2023)
Old 02-09-2017, 08:42 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Here is a thought.
Find a local engine builder and ask him to build your current motor to what you want it to do. I was looking at getting a crate motor, but ended up with a local builder who built me a beast of at big block. And it saved me a lot of money in the process. The only downside to any warranty issues you might run into is with a crate motor, you have to ship the motor back to the builder. And that is not cheap, nor easy to do. If you go with a local guy, chances are you get a warranty, plus you could tow the car across town to him for any repair or set up issues you have, and or just drop by.
That being said, I have lots of good things regarding the crate choices you mentioned.
C3PO.G. (07-16-2023)

Quick Reply: Help with crate engine choice!