C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering column

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 01:33 PM
the papster
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default steering column

have a 1975 stingray with tilt /telescopic how do lower the column to take out left dash
Old 02-03-2017, 01:45 PM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I am pretty sure Willcox has a write up on removal procedure. If your taking out the lt dash remove the column completely. There's a couple bolts that hold it up, a few at the firewall and then loosen the steering coupler and unplug it. Pretty sure when I did mine common consensus was removing the column as opposed to lowering it was the best way to avoid damaging the panel.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:09 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

There are 2 studs at the firewall (nuts on the interior side), 2 bolts from the bottom at the dash panel and the coupler at the steering box. Plus the connectors for the ignition and turn signal switches.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:17 PM
FLA-C3
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
There are 2 studs at the firewall (nuts on the interior side), 2 bolts from the bottom at the dash panel and the coupler at the steering box. Plus the connectors for the ignition and turn signal switches.

And you can google Jim Shea’s Steering Papers for more info...
Old 02-03-2017, 07:26 PM
the papster
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 75 steering column

Originally Posted by FLA-C3

And you can google Jim Shea’s Steering Papers for more info...

thanks guys , it sure helps, got it out.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I am sorry that I have been away for quite a while. Family issues have had to take priority.

Here is my 2 cents.

On Saginaw locking steering columns (1969 thru 1982) the turn signal cancelling is set inside the steering column and the column must be on-center (along with the rest of the steering system) in order for the turn signals to cancel symetrically either side of center.

Having the steering column mis-indexed causes people to think that their turn signal switch is defective, when in fact some component(s) may be assembled incorrectly and the switch is no longer cancelling equally either side of center.

And yes, the notch on the end of the steering column steering shaft should be at 12 o'clock when your road wheels are pointing straight ahead.

This may be a bit late, but here is a link to a paper that takes you through all the steering system connections to help you chase down exactly where and why certain steering components are no longer centered.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=1033

You may want to have your front end aligned such that a competent mechanic can position your tie rods, center link, and steering gear properly before making changes to the steering column, flexible coupling, or steering gear.

Jim
Old 02-04-2017, 01:44 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi p,
I really don't think it's necessary to remove the column to work on the left side dash pad.
I remove the 2 nuts from the studs on the column flange at the firewall and the 2 bolts right below the dash pad.
This allows the column to drop several inches which is enough to maneuver the dash page out and back in.
What's IMPORTANT at this point is to properly SUPPORT the steering column at the steering wheel end to take the weight of the column off the firewall flange, steering shaft bearings, and rag joint.
I've not found it necessary to disconnect any electrical connections from the column while doing this.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 02-04-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To steering column

Quick Reply: steering column