C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! lifters coming apart??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 03:34 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Help!! lifters coming apart??

Two and a half yrs ago I replaced the upper end on my 82 Corvette with Edelbrock heads, cam, rockers, lifters ect. and have about 1000 miles on them. Still the Crossfire setup. So the other day I drove it and noticed a slight lifter noise, came home pulled the valve covers and gave the rockers (Comp roller tip 1.6) a quarter turn and left for work. Today I get the valve covers put back on and as soon as I started it it was very noticeable lifter clatter. I drove it around the block hoping it would go away but did not.

Tonight after work I pulled the valve covers and #4 intake rocker was extremely loose so I pulled the rocker off and the ball end of the pushrod was gone. Ended up pulling the intake and found the pieces but the lifter retaining ring was gone and when I used a magnet to retrieve the lifter it pulled the guts out but was able to remove the whole lifter. After checking the others I noticed #1 exhaust was the same way?? Removed the pushrod and the ball end was still stuck in the rocker and the lifter was also coming apart?? What's causing this??

I found all the pieces except the retaining rings the holds the lifter guts together so I'm assuming it's in the pan. First I need to know why and second what needs to be done? Would the cam still be ok and if the retaining rings are not in the pan then what?

I can post pictures if needed. Please help. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2017, 09:53 AM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The why is, you did not upgrade the pushrods to handle the extra lift and spring pressure when you installed heads with the 1.6 rockers.

The snap rings in the pan wont hurt anything.

Replace the lifters and all of the pushrods with good one piece hardened push rods, (not stock) Check your rockers for damage and replaced accordingly. Hopefully this will be all that is screwed up and you will be good to go.

Good luck.

Last edited by 76Rat; 02-04-2017 at 10:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-04-2017, 11:32 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 76Rat
The why is, you did not upgrade the pushrods to handle the extra lift and spring pressure when you installed heads with the 1.6 rockers.

Replace the lifters and all of the pushrods with good one piece hardened push rods, (not stock) Check your rockers for damage and replaced accordingly. Hopefully this will be all that is screwed up and you will be good to go.

Good luck.
That's it though the pushrods are hardened Comp Cams. Do you think the cam is ok?
Old 02-04-2017, 12:20 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Check the bottom of the lifters. If they are still convex then the cam should be OK. If they are flat or concave then the cam needs to be replaced.

They could have come apart because they didn't have the proper preload.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:18 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Those pushrods with the ***** on the end are junk and wear down fast, ask me how I know
Old 02-04-2017, 01:44 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 76Rat

Good luck.
You were right! I thought I replaced them with hardened ones but nope. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2017, 01:45 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Check the bottom of the lifters. If they are still convex then the cam should be OK. If they are flat or concave then the cam needs to be replaced.

Yep that's what Comp Cams said. Bottom of the lifters are flat but they were when installed. ?
Old 02-04-2017, 01:54 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Those pushrods with the ***** on the end are junk and wear down fast, ask me how I know
Agreed! Learning pushrods 101 today.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:23 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by alconk
Yep that's what Comp Cams said. Bottom of the lifters are flat but they were when installed. ?
Hard to tell when installing them especially when you are not looking for that. A straight edge or glass table works.
The following users liked this post:
alconk (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 07:36 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

They appear flat if you just casually look at them but they should have a slight convex. Check them with a straight edge.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:21 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Those little wire clips in the pan can definitely cause trouble. Most likely they will end up inside the oil pump and lock it up instantly. You need to find them. I've seen it happen more than once over the years.

JIM
Old 02-04-2017, 11:31 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Ended up pulling the intake and found the pieces but the lifter retaining ring was gone and when I used a magnet to retrieve the lifter it pulled the guts out but was able to remove the whole lifter. After checking the others I noticed #1 exhaust was the same way?? Removed the pushrod and the ball end was still stuck in the rocker and the lifter was also coming apart?? What's causing this??
With the Comp wire type retainers in the lifter, if you get any sort of slack in the setup due to wear or adjustment problems (premature wear in your case) the lack of downward pressure on the pushrod cup will pound out the thin wire retainer in just a few miles. With the lifters adjusted correctly the pushrod cups don't even touch the wire retainers so your lifter retainer failure was caused by pushrod failure. You should check the pan for those retainers or worse, retainer pieces....

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 02-05-2017 at 12:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
alconk (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 07:43 AM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Those little wire clips in the pan can definitely cause trouble. Most likely they will end up inside the oil pump and lock it up instantly. You need to find them. I've seen it happen more than once over the years.

JIM
I agree. A few years ago, I broke the trunion clip from a roller rocker on a 406. The clips not only got into the pan, but on thoier way down, likely bounced off of a connecting rod and ended up scratching the crap out of a cylinder wall.

I would pull the pan and have a look at everything.

Last edited by cooper9811; 02-05-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:14 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Yes you need to pull the lifters and inspect. But I expect the worse now.

I don't know how to say this w/o insulting you but blindly adding lifter preload tells me you really don't know what can happen to the entire valvetrain when you bottom out the plunger in the lifter. I now suspect you didn't adjust the preload correctly to begin with. Broken push rods and broken lifters blamed on bad parts is possible but usually just an example of denial.

But please prove me wrong and show us pix of the lifters still in convex shape. I can't preach proper methods for setting preload on this forum enough. I'm sure others are just as tired of my rants as I am.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:53 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by MotorHead

Get some Manleys no more pushrod problems. They make good stuff.
Get it all back together make sure they are adjusted 100% see if the ticking starts again.
Sure wish GM made their good flat tappet lifters still.

Last edited by cv67; 02-07-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:47 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cardo0
Yes you need to pull the lifters and inspect. But I expect the worse now.

I don't know how to say this w/o insulting you but blindly adding lifter preload tells me you really don't know what can happen to the entire valvetrain when you bottom out the plunger in the lifter. I now suspect you didn't adjust the preload correctly to begin with. Broken push rods and broken lifters blamed on bad parts is possible but usually just an example of denial.

But please prove me wrong and show us pix of the lifters still in convex shape. I can't preach proper methods for setting preload on this forum enough. I'm sure others are just as tired of my rants as I am.
Hmm... brutal! I will take this as a learning experience but these have been in there for 2.5 years. The reason I gave it another 1/4 turn in is originally when I set the lash I only went 1/4 turn after 0. I read and was told to turn a full half turn past 0 but said if you could get by with a 1/4 it would be better .

I spoke with Comp Cams and told me stock pushrods will eventually fail with a aftermarket cam and higher valve springs. When I told him about the lifters he said he wasn't surprised and have seen the same scenario and explained why and made sense to me.

I pulled all of my lifters and they are flat on the bottom with no markings, I asked three different Comp Cam Techs and every one told me they are suppose to be flat. All that happen to the lifter was the retainer spring came out.

Thanks for your input though that's why I post questions.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:50 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
They appear flat if you just casually look at them but they should have a slight convex. Check them with a straight edge.
Ok I'll check. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Help!! lifters coming apart??

Old 02-05-2017, 11:50 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
With the Comp wire type retainers in the lifter, if you get any sort of slack in the setup due to wear or adjustment problems (premature wear in your case) the lack of downward pressure on the pushrod cup will pound out the thin wire retainer in just a few miles. With the lifters adjusted correctly the pushrod cups don't even touch the wire retainers so your lifter retainer failure was caused by pushrod failure. You should check the pan for those retainers or worse, retainer pieces....
Exactly what Comp told me. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2017, 08:48 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

If the lifters are not slightly convex they will not rotate and take out the cam lobes and likely all the bearings with them in a very short time.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:55 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

If they all appeared the same then you should be OK. Just make sure they go back where they came from and you don't mix up the locations.

Quick Reply: Help!! lifters coming apart??