C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only rear brakes are functioning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 09:58 PM
swoodard23
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Only rear brakes are functioning?

I am having problems with my braking. The rears are stopping the vehicle and will lock up but the fronts are not functioning. There is surface rust on both front rotors so I know they are not functioning. The fluid in the master cylinder is not low. I would suspect a caliper but cannot imagine both having problems. Any ideas?
Old 02-16-2017, 10:14 PM
TOM B1
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Have someone push on the brake and hold it there lightly as you loosen the front brake line at the master cylinder. if you get a squirt of fluid then tighten it up as the master cylinder is ok. if nothing then its bad.
Then check the proportioning valve outlet to the front brakes OR to one of the front calipers and do the same test. if you dont have fluid flow at the
INLET LINE to the caliper then the proportioning valve is bad or needs reset.

Last edited by TOM B1; 02-16-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:17 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,129 Likes on 733 Posts

Acts like the master is by passing internally - bad seal in the master.

If it has fluid and is not air bound,
Old 02-17-2017, 05:45 PM
ace_cobra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an issue where my rears were not working. It was very apparent when I opened the MC cover because the fluid on the rear port was rust coloured. I agree with TOM B1, crack the front line at the MC and have someone push the pedal, slowly. If nothing, then put new seals in the MC. You can also find out if its a bad caliper or a proportioning valve by trying to bleed the fronts. If the P.V is stuck little to no fluid will come out and the pedal will still feel somewhat firm when the bleeders are open.
My valve wasnt stuck, but I took it apart and cleaned it anyway. Depending on your year you have either a proportioning valve(more complex) or a distribution valve which just shuttles pressure.
Good luck!
Old 02-18-2017, 04:13 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If the front brake system had a leak in it sometime in the past, chances are that the shuttle valve in the distribution block did not get reset to center position.

Assuming that all of the front brake system is OK and is capable of functioning properly, get in the driver's seat and stomp down on the pedal as hard and fast as you can. That's the usual method for resetting the shuttle valve. Is your BRAKE warning light (on the dash) lit? Will it light if you engage the emergency brake? If not, the bulb is likely bad....and you would never know if the e-brake was ON or if the brake system was malfunctioning.

Get notified of new replies

To Only rear brakes are functioning?

Quick Reply: Only rear brakes are functioning?