C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple events= tire poor!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:30 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Multiple events= tire poor!

You know...when I decided to try some different stuff with the Vette...not sure I thought it out real well. I've always run around on the street with some basic BFG street radials and some tire store specials on the front. I've blasted past 150 MPH quite a few times on that stuff.

For the dragstrip...I've got a set of M/T wheels with some 10.5x28" slicks and some M/T front runners on some Bogarts for the front.

Then I got the wild idea to run that half mile runway deal. So I got some M/T drag radials and scrounged up some V-rated front tires. All was good....managed 177 MPH.

Then I got the idea that if a little is good...more is better right? What could I do in the TX Mile? Well...that brings another issue. They don't allow drag radials and to sneak up on 200 MPH you need "Y" rated (186 MPH+ tires). Finding stuff in 15" diameters for those speeds isn't too easy...but I finally found some roundy-rounder tires approved for those speeds. When they arrived...I found the fronts were a little too wide and weren't going to clear suspension and fender properly. Bummer.

So then I finally located some Pirelli Y rated tires for the front. Short little devils but they should help keep the nose out of the air.

This weekend is preparing it for the drag strip next weekend.....then if all goes well I'll switch everything around for top end playing.

Probably should have planned this a little better!

JIM
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2017, 12:11 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Perhaps you would be better served to do away with 15" wheels for specialty situations. Just keep them for shows, normal driving, and stock stuff.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:38 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Probably so. For drag racing and street cruising...nothing works or looks better to me.

For the high speed stuff it would be easier...but not enough tire height to hit the big speeds without O/D. Still trying to decide if I'm going to swap some gears in my trans to make it O/D for the TX Mile.

JIM
Old 02-19-2017, 08:03 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

OD isn't the safest way to get speed I was always kind of worried when drive line rpm was aproaching 10,000 rpm

Bonneville uses rears like 2.73 or less to exceed 200 mph with 1:1 final tranny ratio

Last edited by gkull; 02-19-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:21 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 854 Likes on 625 Posts

How tall of gears are available for the Dana 60 Jim?
Old 02-19-2017, 01:34 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
You know...when I decided to try some different stuff with the Vette...not sure I thought it out real well. I've always run around on the street with some basic BFG street radials and some tire store specials on the front. I've blasted past 150 MPH quite a few times on that stuff.

For the dragstrip...I've got a set of M/T wheels with some 10.5x28" slicks and some M/T front runners on some Bogarts for the front.

Then I got the wild idea to run that half mile runway deal. So I got some M/T drag radials and scrounged up some V-rated front tires. All was good....managed 177 MPH.

Then I got the idea that if a little is good...more is better right? What could I do in the TX Mile? Well...that brings another issue. They don't allow drag radials and to sneak up on 200 MPH you need "Y" rated (186 MPH+ tires). Finding stuff in 15" diameters for those speeds isn't too easy...but I finally found some roundy-rounder tires approved for those speeds. When they arrived...I found the fronts were a little too wide and weren't going to clear suspension and fender properly. Bummer.

So then I finally located some Pirelli Y rated tires for the front. Short little devils but they should help keep the nose out of the air.

This weekend is preparing it for the drag strip next weekend.....then if all goes well I'll switch everything around for top end playing.

JIM
I have almost the same "tire store" for my sand car. Street, dunes, and desert, and a specialty tire or two....
Old 02-19-2017, 03:26 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
How tall of gears are available for the Dana 60 Jim?
Technically 3.54's. We modified a set of 3.07's from a Dana 61 to fit into the Dana 60...so I've already been pretty creative!

JIM
Old 02-19-2017, 06:51 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

A growing tire/wheel stockpile is yet another symptom of the sickness we share.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod

JIM
So what do you have to keep the nose from lifting on a C2 lol
Old 02-20-2017, 09:43 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I'm going to drop it a little lower. Keep the front spoiler in place. Crack rear of hood open. Maybe block the grille. I'll dial shock rebound up high and compression low.

It it really didn't seem so bad at 177 mph.

Jim.

Get notified of new replies

To Multiple events= tire poor!

Quick Reply: Multiple events= tire poor!