C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spark plug and wires changing tips, routing of wires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 09:43 AM
pmr2000
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Default spark plug and wires changing tips, routing of wires?

About to attempt new plugs and wires on my stock '75 L-48 coupe. I just changed the dist. cap and rotor.

So appears best suggestions are to get to some of the plugs from underneath, some from on top and by removing front tires?

For the wires any tips to get them routed properly? Was thinking of doing them one at a time if possible then tidying up the bundles?
Old 03-07-2017, 10:03 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi pmr,
Will you be using the original heat shielding for the spark-plugs/spark wires, and the original radio interference shielding?
If so, it might be a good idea to take careful note of where it is located, how it's mounted, and how the wires travel through it.
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-07-2017, 10:13 AM
pmr2000
Pro

Yes I had the heat shields at least over the distributor and going down on the side of the block. Intend to carefully reuse, I see there is a 4 wire holder at the top of the guide going to the distributor.

If there are lower shields and holders not exactly sure if they are all there....looks like it although I see a tie wrap or two on the lower wires.

I realize this is a bit of a pain of a job due to access so any tips will help!
Old 03-07-2017, 10:14 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

If you are routing any wires through the motor mount area one trick is to remove the end boot, snake the wire through, and then reinstall the boot. Spraying the wire with silicon will help removing and installing the boot.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi pmr
The chromed pieces are part of the radio shielding.
The heat shielding originally consisted of 2 spark plug shields (one for each pair of plugs, and a 'boomerang' shield on each side of the block that the 2 forward wires ran through.
There were also 2 small clips that were under an oil pan bolt and helped route the forward wires.
You really won't know what you have until you get under there.
Regards,
Alan

Right side heat shields, and sparkgplug routing. (Left side is similar)

The following users liked this post:
AboveTheLogic (03-08-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 05:35 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi pmr
The chromed pieces are part of the radio shielding.
The heat shielding originally consisted of 2 spark plug shields (one for each pair of plugs, and a 'boomerang' shield on each side of the block that the 2 forward wires ran through.
There were also 2 small clips that were under an oil pan bolt and helped route the forward wires.
You really won't know what you have until you get under there.
Regards,
Alan

Right side heat shields, and sparkgplug routing. (Left side is similar)

Your photos never cease to amaze me Alan. Is there any part of that car you didn't photograph?

Mike
Old 03-07-2017, 05:40 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Mike,
Those photos are actually quite recent.
I'm going back and redoing some things and increasing the quality of the plating on parts and fasteners.
This has allowed me to take different photos of things that I remember folks asking about in the past.
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-07-2017, 06:50 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Wires kind of sort of go through the motor mount....they go between the block and mount...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-routing.html
Old 03-07-2017, 06:52 PM
pmr2000
Pro

Thanks Alan - do you have any tips best way to get at them? Should I take off front wheels and put on jackstands for best access? Or ramps?
Old 03-08-2017, 07:09 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi pmr,
Routing the wires is quite a chore.
You really need to have access from both above and below.
The forward pair of wires on each side of the engine pass between the side of the block and the engine mount as jim mentions.
Regards,
Alan

Old 03-08-2017, 09:09 AM
blainelocklair
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just changed the plugs on my 80 L-48 last weekend. I was able to get 1-7 from the top side using a spark plug socket, a (roughly) 3" extension, and a 1/4" drive ratchet. I had to get #8 from under the car. I used a combo of spark plug socket, swivel, about 2" worth of extension, and a 1/4" drive ratchet. The #8 really sucks. Lifting the car will help quite a bit. Please just remember to add anti-seize to the new plugs before installing them, as did the former owner/mechanic before me. It made removal of the old plugs much, much easier. Also a good idea to add dielectric silicone grease inside the wire boots to seal out water and improve connectivity a bit.

One last thought: spark plug sockets come in different lengths, even for the same-size plug. I had a long socket in my toolbox, but bought a shorter one at O'Reilly Auto when I picked up the AC Delco plugs. I ended up using the shorter socket the entire time since it fit around and between the plugs and exhaust manifold pipes with the least amount of fuss.

The plug change is a bit of a challenge, but you can do it! Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Hi Alan,
I just had to compliment you on the wonderful photos that you post.
If I told my wife that I removed the shields to improve their appearance see would send me to a therapist.
LOL!
Regards, Pete.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:42 PM
pmr2000
Pro

Originally Posted by blainelocklair
I just changed the plugs on my 80 L-48 last weekend. I was able to get 1-7 from the top side using a spark plug socket, a (roughly) 3" extension, and a 1/4" drive ratchet. I had to get #8 from under the car. I used a combo of spark plug socket, swivel, about 2" worth of extension, and a 1/4" drive ratchet. The #8 really sucks. Lifting the car will help quite a bit. Please just remember to add anti-seize to the new plugs before installing them, as did the former owner/mechanic before me. It made removal of the old plugs much, much easier. Also a good idea to add dielectric silicone grease inside the wire boots to seal out water and improve connectivity a bit.

One last thought: spark plug sockets come in different lengths, even for the same-size plug. I had a long socket in my toolbox, but bought a shorter one at O'Reilly Auto when I picked up the AC Delco plugs. I ended up using the shorter socket the entire time since it fit around and between the plugs and exhaust manifold pipes with the least amount of fuss.

The plug change is a bit of a challenge, but you can do it! Let us know how it turns out.
Blaine, can I ask what you gapped plugs at? Any improvement seen? How about removing front wheels to help access?
Old 03-09-2017, 08:57 AM
blainelocklair
Advanced

Hi pmr2000,

I removed my wheel and then tried to remove my inner fender cover. Not sure why it couldn't come out, but I was unable to remove the inner fender cover. I took out all of the bolts for it, but it just weren't gonna come out or even budge a bit. Could be age, something done by a former owner, or some other something. I was able to get #8 by going a bit rearward of the tire from the floor of the garage. Inconvenient, but totally doable.

For my L-48, I gapped them to .045. They were pre-gapped AC Delcos, but I checked them with my gauge anyway.

I noticed a bit more smoothness in the engine. If my records I received with the car are correct, they were about four years old and due for a change.

Make sure to save and inspect your old plugs, noting from which cylinder you removed each. I write the cylinder number on them with a Sharpie immediately upon removing the old plugs. The condition of the plugs will tell you much about your engine's health and operating condition. And please don't forget the anti-seize on the plug threads! Someone, and that someone may be you, will thank you for it one day!

- Blaine
Old 03-10-2017, 08:02 AM
blainelocklair
Advanced

One more thing that might help:

Here's a picture of the setup I used to get that pesky #8 out. Note that in addition to the way I described it earlier, I used a 1/4" to 1/2" adapter and a 1/2" ratchet. I forgot about that. I used the larger ratchet to give myself a bit larger handle to twist with. It definitely helped.

Keep us posted so we will know how it turned out for you!

- Blaine

Old 03-10-2017, 11:14 AM
pmr2000
Pro

Yikes that is some long reach needed for no 8 plug....thanks for the pic and advice. For some reason my plugs and wires are on back order from Ecklers so will not attempt for a couple of weeks.

Get notified of new replies

To spark plug and wires changing tips, routing of wires?

Quick Reply: spark plug and wires changing tips, routing of wires?